SEC NY office vs. State AGs office 1L summer

MarxJackson

SEC NY office vs. State AGs office 1L summer

Post by MarxJackson » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Counting my chickens before they hatch here because I may run into deadline problems, so just want to get some opinions before I have to make choices. I interviewed at my state AG's office over break, and they basically told me that as long as my grades weren't very bad, they'd hire me.I ended up around 3.42 at a t14 with a median I think around 3.3, so I think I'm good there. It seems as if half the work I'd be doing would be securities regulation stuff, similar to what you'd be doing at the SEC, or that's at least kind of how it was described (so for the sake of this assume I have no preference one way or there other in terms of work I'd be doing). I also just got an interview for the SEC New York office.

I know that I don't want to end up in DC, and preferably I'd not be in New York long term. The city I hope to end up in has an SEC regional office and is 20 or so miles away from where the State AGs office I may get offered is. The State AGs office said they hire from their clerks.

Obviously, I'd still have to go through the interview process, and with my interview skills, getting through that successfully is far from a given. But if I had the choice of either, which would you recommend I take?

lolwat

Re: SEC NY office vs. State AGs office 1L summer

Post by lolwat » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:11 pm

I personally think state AG work is generally pretty cool and would give you broader exposure to more than just securities stuff. Plus, it really sounds like you want to stay in your state (or at least 20 miles away from the state AG's office, not sure if that turns into a different state though). Working at the state AG's office of a state where you'd want to end up is pretty good stuff, and it'd give you networking opportunities over the summer as well.

I think the basic idea for 1L summer is to take whatever most interests you, but even if you're into SEC stuff I just think there are a lot of benefit to staying in your current state rather than heading off to NYC. Someone with better experience into this government stuff can say what, if any, effect your 1L job has on future potential employment in government though. :)

MarxJackson

Re: SEC NY office vs. State AGs office 1L summer

Post by MarxJackson » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 pm

lolwat wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:11 pm
I personally think state AG work is generally pretty cool and would give you broader exposure to more than just securities stuff. Plus, it really sounds like you want to stay in your state (or at least 20 miles away from the state AG's office, not sure if that turns into a different state though). Working at the state AG's office of a state where you'd want to end up is pretty good stuff, and it'd give you networking opportunities over the summer as well.

I think the basic idea for 1L summer is to take whatever most interests you, but even if you're into SEC stuff I just think there are a lot of benefit to staying in your current state rather than heading off to NYC. Someone with better experience into this government stuff can say what, if any, effect your 1L job has on future potential employment in government though. :)
Thanks for the response. I think one half of the AGs office would be securities (will have more confirmation of this if/when I receive an offer) and the 2nd half hopefully would be civil stuff, such as representing an agency. I guess it's possible it would be criminal depending on what's open which would be a pretty big turn off for me, but I think there's a better chance it will be civil division.

To me, the benefit of the SEC is that it's probably a more impressive name on the resume. The benefit of the AGs office is that there is a better chance I would get hired there out of school (I'd probably prefer SEC out of school but have heard they barely hire anyone out of school and that would likely be in DC). The location is a plus I guess but I already have pretty good contacts in the state where the AGs office is, and like you said getting wider exposure would also be a plus. So looking for thoughts on the hiring practices of the SEC or on if working there would look any better on my resume/if employers care about 1L summer.

I think ideally I would do impact or Direct legal aid to start out and then perhaps move into government, but this summer wanted to get a look into what government work is like, and focus on legal aid/impact next summer and in clinics.