Public Interest Environmental Attorney - AMA

Nebby

Public Interest Environmental Attorney - AMA

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:56 am

I practice a mixture of environmental and energy litigation for a nonprofit that seeks to protect access to clean air and water and promote development of clean energy. Ask me anything!
Last edited by Nebby on Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crickcrack

Re: Enviro/Energy Impact Litigation attorney - AMA

Post by crickcrack » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm

Hi Nebby,

Your description sounds exactly like the job I am hoping to get after law school (current 1L), but I always figured it was a bit of a pipe dream, especially since I am from and want to stay in the midwest. Could you share some tips on how you ended up where you are and what you would do again/differently during school and the job hunt?

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:49 pm

Did you land your job through a school-funded fellowship? How many attorneys work in your office? Do you find the work interesting/meaningful?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi all! Thanks for the questions. I'll respond to each this evening after the gym.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:51 pm

crickcrack wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:00 pm
Hi Nebby,

Your description sounds exactly like the job I am hoping to get after law school (current 1L), but I always figured it was a bit of a pipe dream, especially since I am from and want to stay in the midwest. Could you share some tips on how you ended up where you are and what you would do again/differently during school and the job hunt?
Hi crickcrack (what's the inspiration for your username?):

Some tips:
1. Try to get as much legal experience in law school as possible. Ideally, you can do both summers doing environmental related work. Also take advantage of opportunities to do externships or clinics during law school. Most work at environmental nonprofits is litigation, so try to get as much litigation experience as possible.
2. Read this guide: https://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads ... -draft.pdf

I don't think there's anything I would do differently. I applied broadly to everything environmental related, including entry-level positions at nonprofits, fellowships, and enviro government positions.

I don't know how helpful these responses were, so keep the questions coming.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 am

Echos Myron wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:49 pm
Did you land your job through a school-funded fellowship? How many attorneys work in your office? Do you find the work interesting/meaningful?
My job is one of the rare entry-level positions. It was advertised as a fellowship, of sorts, but it isn't really. I was treated like an employee, and the "two year term" automatically turns into a Staff Attorney position. Some orgs, like NRDC and Earthjustice have similar programs, but in theirs the two year term is more strictly adhered to and it's more common that people don't stay on after two years.

I also had an offer to work at the Sierra Club through a school funded fellowship, but those aren't as nice as internally funded fellowships or full-time positions like the one I landed.

My org has 18 total attorneys. I am in the HQ office, and there are 10 in HQ office. Our other attorneys are in our field offices.

I do find the work interesting and meaningful. One of my cases is a Clean Air Act (CAA) enforcement case. Other cases on my docket are in various state public utility commissions (PUC) where I'm trying to create new markets for solar energy. The work requires me to learn the business side of energy production, which could be useful down the road, such as laterally into a solar energy company's in-house group after I've PSLF'd my loans.

My PUC practice also crosses over to consumer advocacy, which is pretty cool.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:52 am

Nebby wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 am
Echos Myron wrote:
My job is one of the rare entry-level positions. It was advertised as a fellowship, of sorts, but it isn't really. I was treated like an employee, and the "two year term" automatically turns into a Staff Attorney position. Some orgs, like NRDC and Earthjustice have similar programs, but in theirs the two year term is more strictly adhered to and it's more common that people don't stay on after two years.

I also had an offer to work at the Sierra Club through a school funded fellowship, but those aren't as nice as internally funded fellowships or full-time positions like the one I landed.

My org has 18 total attorneys. I am in the HQ office, and there are 10 in HQ office. Our other attorneys are in our field offices.

I do find the work interesting and meaningful. One of my cases is a Clean Air Act (CAA) enforcement case. Other cases on my docket are in various state public utility commissions (PUC) where I'm trying to create new markets for solar energy. The work requires me to learn the business side of energy production, which could be useful down the road, such as laterally into a solar energy company's in-house group after I've PSLF'd my loans.

Thanks for the really helpful info! If you don't mind another question, what types of internships did you do in LS to prepare/position yourself for this job? Did most people at CLS end up landing the type of PI jobs that they wanted, or is it a bit of a toss-up?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 am

Echos Myron wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:52 am
Nebby wrote:
Echos Myron wrote:

Thanks for the really helpful info! If you don't mind another question, what types of internships did you do in LS to prepare/position yourself for this job? Did most people at CLS end up landing the type of PI jobs that they wanted, or is it a bit of a toss-up?
I'll list out the legal experiences I obtained and talk a little about how each prepared me for the post-grad search. At the outset, I was never interested in biglaw so I took a different path than I would recommend to most, which would be to consider biglaw as a back-up (by doing a 2L SA) in the event you can't obtain employment during the 3L job search.

1L Summer: US EPA in the Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance.

This was my first exposure to environmental law. I did not enter law school planning on any particular subject area. I had dreams of working in DC, so I thought fedgov in DC for 1L would position me well for that. EPA was the first offer I got, so I accepted it.

This positioned me well for my post-grad job search because it demonstrated interest in environmental law and basic exposure to legal research and writing.

2L Spring: I did a 16/hour a week externship for credit with an impact litigation organization in DC in a non-environmental subject area.

This was my first exposure to litigation specifically, and it taught me a little bit about how impact litigation organizations work, what type of cases there are, and how to work on litigation assignments.

This positioned me well for my post-grad job search because the litigation experience taught me what it could be like to be a litigator, and it also taught me that I wanted to be a litigator because I liked the experience.

2L Summer: US EPA in the Office of General Counsel.

This was my first experience learning what it would be like to work for a federal agencies OGC, which handles all internal legal questions for the agency's components, including enforcement, compliance, and regulatory/rulemaking.

This positioned me well because it was more in depth environmental experience and allowed me to become more specialized in the Clean Air Act, because that was the office within OGC I interned with. This also gave me a lot of substantive stuff to talk about during 3L interviews.

3L Fall: US DOJ Environment and Natural Resource Division.

This was more litigation experience, but it was a full-time externship so I was able to get more involved in the cases. It was a fantastic experience because it was the first time I was able to do both litigation and environmental work simultaneously.

This positioned me well because it was similar to what i was applying for (enviro litigation), and therefore gave me a lot to talk about during interviews. It continued to demonstrate my interest in environmental law as a career.

Echos Myron

Post by Echos Myron » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:24 pm

Nebby wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:49 am
Echos Myron wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Echos Myron wrote:

I'll list out the legal experiences I obtained and talk a little about how each prepared me for the post-grad search. At the outset, I was never interested in biglaw so I took a different path than I would recommend to most, which would be to consider biglaw as a back-up (by doing a 2L SA) in the event you can't obtain employment during the 3L job search.
Thank you, this is very helpful!

crickcrack

Post by crickcrack » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you for the info and guide, super helpful! Would you say this is a field where you have to show interest by having both summers dedicated to environmental law to have a good chance at a full time gig? I am pretty pessimistic about landing one for my 1L summer.

kellyfrost

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:04 pm

What are your long term career goals?

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:11 am

Echos Myron wrote:
Did most people at CLS end up landing the type of PI jobs that they wanted, or is it a bit of a toss-up?
I personally do not know of anyone that did not land at the type of PI job they wanted. However, I do know a lot of people that were nervous about the 3L job search for PI, and therefore opted to go to a firm immediately out of law school with plans to lateral into PI in the future.

avymlkqpdxh

Post by avymlkqpdxh » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for doing this.

Info about me: Applied to T13s a month ago, already in at Berk. 174 LSAT so good shot at other schools as well.

I'm definitely interested in environmental impact litigation - my undergrad major was environmentally focused and some of my work experience is as well. The ideal environmental legal job for me would be 1) high-impact work (NRDC, Sierra, Earthjustice etc.), 2) 80k+ minimum salary (at least within 3-5 years of graduating), 3) consistently interesting work (by which I mean I don't want to just be an expert on the Clean Water Act and do the same cases over and over). Feel free to tell me if these priorities are dumb/unrealistic.

My concerns are the following:

1. Even with a T13 degree, I would run a high risk of simply not getting one of these jobs despite doing the "right" things, i.e. demonstrating environmental law interest as you did. Given the highly specific roles at the EPA, etc., would I completely lack the flexibility to do some other kind of civil litigation work if I don't end up with the impact lit job I want? Would I be limited to public interest work? Would a private firm be confused?

2. Lack of geographic flexibility - I have a SO who is in a different career path and I'd like to be flexible about where I live four years from now. It sounds like these job offers are rare enough that you basically have to take what you can get. That might be a deal-breaker for me.

3. Do you find that the kind of legal work you do is diverse and consistently interesting, or is it mostly repetitive?

4. Given all of this, I'm considering doing the big law track to gain experience and make some money and then, when my life is more settled, moving into public interest/environmental work. Is that possible/realistic?

I'm also interested in other kinds of public interest work, and the same questions basically apply if you want to generalize it beyond environmental law.

Thanks again.

brut

Post by brut » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:39 pm

avymlkqpdxh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm
Thanks for doing this.

Info about me: Applied to T13s a month ago, already in at Berk. 174 LSAT so good shot at other schools as well.

I'm definitely interested in environmental impact litigation - my undergrad major was environmentally focused and some of my work experience is as well. The ideal environmental legal job for me would be 1) high-impact work (NRDC, Sierra, Earthjustice etc.), 2) 80k+ minimum salary (at least within 3-5 years of graduating), 3) consistently interesting work (by which I mean I don't want to just be an expert on the Clean Water Act and do the same cases over and over). Feel free to tell me if these priorities are dumb/unrealistic.

1. Even with a T13 degree, I would run a high risk of simply not getting one of these jobs despite doing the "right" things, i.e. demonstrating environmental law interest as you did. Given the highly specific roles at the EPA, etc., would I completely lack the flexibility to do some other kind of civil litigation work if I don't end up with the impact lit job I want? Would I be limited to public interest work? Would a private firm be confused?

2. Lack of geographic flexibility - I have a SO who is in a different career path and I'd like to be flexible about where I live four years from now. It sounds like these job offers are rare enough that you basically have to take what you can get. That might be a deal-breaker for me.

3. Do you find that the kind of legal work you do is diverse and consistently interesting, or is it mostly repetitive?

4. Given all of this, I'm considering doing the big law track to gain experience and make some money and then, when my life is more settled, moving into public interest/environmental work. Is that possible/realistic?

I'm also interested in other kinds of public interest work, and the same questions basically apply if you want to generalize it beyond environmental law.

Thanks again.
i'm not in environmental law, but since you said you're interested in other kinds of pi work i'll chime in. there are some elements, even in impact, that are repetitive. very different cases can revolve around very similar arguments. many of my cases from religious accommodations to parental rights (and everything in between) revolve around obergefell and what kind of recognition it requires states to give to same-sex marriages. so in that sense it is repetitive. but the nature of impact is that you're trying to develop law, not apply the same precedents in the same way over and over. once the law is established in a jurisdiction, we move on. and so the lawyers here are largely working on cases that look very different than what they worked on five years ago (or even a year ago, frankly, given trump).

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm

avymlkqpdxh wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:45 pm
Thanks for doing this.

Thanks again.
0. Your priorities are not dumb/unrealistic. You described basically all entry-level to-mid-level attorney positions at enviro impact orgs, including mine.

1. You are right that it's possible to do everything right and still not get an entry-level attorney position at enviro impact orgs.

I'm a little confused about the EPA question. At EPA, you would not be doing civil litigation--that would be the job of attorneys in the Environment and Natural Resources Division (ENRD) at DOJ. The only enviro litigation opportunities in the federal government are in the ENRD/DOJ. State AGs offices typically have an environmental section, and that's where one would do enviro litigation in the state government.

I can expand on what EPA work looks like, if you want.

If you started your career at an enviro impact org, you could still lateral to a firm or inhouse in the future, but you'd have to be able to explain why the switch. Firms would be a little skeptical, but you just need a good reason.

2. You are right---the job opportunities are take what you can get. I had never been to Chicago until I interviewed for my position, which I subsequently accepted. My only other offer was an unpaid fellowhsip position with Sierra Club in DC, and CLS' fellowship funding is not that great.

3. It's both interesting and repetitive. Brut adequately answered this question. A lot of my impact work takes place in different state public utility commissions, where I strategically participate in similar cases with the goal of progressing policy. When I win an issue in one state, I'll use that as evidence for why another state should do similarly. Part of my job is to work at the cutting-edge of law, which means a lot of my work deals with questions of first impression. Questions of first impression mean that I'm working on issues that have no precedent in the state, therefore I have to think strategically and plan for the long-term.

4.It's possible. I recommend to a lot of people to consider Biglaw and do a 2L SA with a firm, just to get an offer and use it as a backup plan if they're not able to land anything during 3L job search.

I knew I did not want to do biglaw, so I took the more risky route of going all-in on enviro internships/externships and hope for the best.

crickcrack

Post by crickcrack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Nebby wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 pm

I can expand on what EPA work looks like, if you want.

I'd be interested in hearing this.

TransferHopeful17

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:44 am

From my limited experience, EPA work can be extremely varied but generally won't be what you're looking for if you're not interested in advisory work or policy. It's challenging, fun, and highly dependent on what office you work in, whether at, for example, Office of Air at OECA, one of the regional offices, or one of the offices at OGC. I think there's something for everyone so long as you're not wholly committed to being in the driver's seat. I interned at one of the offices in OECA and it was a great experience. That said, anyone's experience is highly dependent on the office, because the nature of the work varies so much.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:51 am

TransferHopeful17 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:44 am
From my limited experience, EPA work can be extremely varied but generally won't be what you're looking for if you're not interested in advisory work or policy. It's challenging, fun, and highly dependent on what office you work in, whether at, for example, Office of Air at OECA, one of the regional offices, or one of the offices at OGC. I think there's something for everyone so long as you're not wholly committed to being in the driver's seat. I interned at one of the offices in OECA and it was a great experience. That said, anyone's experience is highly dependent on the office, because the nature of the work varies so much.
Expanding on what TransferHopeful17 said (I interned in OECA in Summer 2014! Did you know Mike Walker retired last year?)

Office of General Counsel - You'll be advising the client offices, which are the other offices within EPA. You will also work with DOJ attorneys when a rule is challenged, and you may get some litigation experience insofar as drafting briefs, but it won't be as immersive as working in DOJ.

Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance - You'll be reviewing inspection reports, drafting notice of violations, and participating in administrative enforcement actions.

Regional Offices - You'll be doing a mixture of advising and enforcement related tasks. Work in Regional Offices can be more varied.

There are policy offices in EPA, too, but the attorneys that work in those offices are primarily in a policy role and not an attorney role.

TransferHopeful17

Post by TransferHopeful17 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Yes, it was sad to hear about Mike Walker retiring. He was a really great resource for interns and his weekly seminars/lectures with attorneys was awesome.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:13 pm

TransferHopeful17 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm
Yes, it was sad to hear about Mike Walker retiring. He was a really great resource for interns and his weekly seminars/lectures with attorneys was awesome.
I'm hoping they keep the program running. It was such a great way for students to get environmental experience. They also hired a lot of 1Ls, so I always tell students it's one of the only places to get enviro experience as a 1L.

HmmOhkay

Post by HmmOhkay » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 am

For people who are interested in this career path, how accurate is it to say that this path rarely starts off with permanent positions out of law school, but rather usually starts off with shorter term (1-2 years) positions (e.g. fellows/associate attorney) to gain experience which then allow you to apply for permanent positions that require a few years of experience? In other words, the job security at least initially is not great, particularly if you want to dive right in. Obviously things are different if you're willing to work at a firm initially and then move to a nonprofit.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 am

For someone who wants to do enviro impact long term but keep the big law back up/short term, what do you recommend we do during law school to show interest/how far into enviro should we get?

I just imagine if I did the enviro club and clinic and was on an environmental journal, a private firm might look weird at that.

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:24 am

HmmOhkay wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 am
For people who are interested in this career path, how accurate is it to say that this path rarely starts off with permanent positions out of law school, but rather usually starts off with shorter term (1-2 years) positions (e.g. fellows/associate attorney) to gain experience which then allow you to apply for permanent positions that require a few years of experience? In other words, the job security at least initially is not great, particularly if you want to dive right in. Obviously things are different if you're willing to work at a firm initially and then move to a nonprofit.
That's an accurate assessment

Nebby

Post by Nebby » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:26 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:49 am
For someone who wants to do enviro impact long term but keep the big law back up/short term, what do you recommend we do during law school to show interest/how far into enviro should we get?

I just imagine if I did the enviro club and clinic and was on an environmental journal, a private firm might look weird at that.
Do something environmental 1L summer, clinic during 2L or 3L, and do an environmental journal. Make sure you do biglaw lit, which will give you skills to lateral with. It's frankly unlikely a biglaw corporate associate will ever be able to lateral into enviro impact.

HmmOhkay

Post by HmmOhkay » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:57 am

Where do you find/look for positions in public interest environmental work? Are there good databases/sites that aggregate these kinds of positions (environmental law/policy) that you would recommend? Especially entry level positions for people without much experience? Or is it best to just go institution by institution and look at their job openings? Thanks!