2L summer Public Interest

Lookingforlaw

2L summer Public Interest

Post by Lookingforlaw » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Trying to decide on 2L public interest summer. I am still unsure of the direction of PI work I am interested in pursuing, although am leaning toward law reform/policy. Had enjoyable 1L summer with federal judge. Have had several 2L offers, although no ACLU or NAACP type. Does it really matter much which SI I take? Have several offers from PD offices in area which would be convenient. Median at Penn.

Clamence

Re: 2L summer Public Interest

Post by Clamence » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:57 am

Mods might want to move this to the right topic.

It certainly matters what your 2L summer is. But how it matters, and how much it matters, largely depends on what kind of public interest you want to practice after graduation. You said you are unsure. Are you at all interested in a career in public defense? A public defense internship closes few doors, and many public interest organizations like seeing them on resumes. However, this is certainly not the case for all public interest organizations, and if you are dead set on maintaining the possibility of say, working for environmental nonprofits, then I would advise getting an internship in the relevant area.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:05 am

Moved to the appropriate sub forum.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm

I don't work in PI so please take this with a grain of salt, but I think if you're leaning towards some sort of law reform-oriented position later on, then a 2L position at a PD's office is perfectly fine and would probably be a great option. I think it could be a benefit down the road for the types of jobs you seem to be interested in.