D. Ct. Clerk Hours

Clerkship Applicant

D. Ct. Clerk Hours

Post by Clerkship Applicant » Sat May 18, 2019 3:05 pm

I remember on TLS, the general wisdom was that clerking was amazing not only because of the quality of the work you do, but because you keep "federal government" hours, amounting to 40, no more than 50 hours of work a week. However, one of my classmates clerks for a judge that requires over 55 hours of face time a week, every week.

Is this super uncommon? What % of clerkships are 9-5, 5 days a week jobs, with 0 weekend work?

Nony

Re: D. Ct. Clerk Hours

Post by Nony » Sat May 18, 2019 3:44 pm

I don't think you can generalize about this. Both judges I clerked for were very humane about hours (though they were 8:30-5), as long as you were getting your work done or we weren't in trial, in which case all bets were off. It's not just by jurisdiction, though, because another judge in one of those courthouses kept his clerks there till 7 and they worked all day Saturday too. I had a prof who clerked for Kozinski and for him, going to an intense biglaw firm was like a vacation after the clerkship. So some are very humane and some are a ton of work. It just really depends.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sat May 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Depends entirely on the judge, as Nony said.

Gut feeling is most competitive districts won't be 9-5 / 5 days a week though. There's just too much shit to get done for that.

MJB

Post by MJB » Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 pm

Agreed - this isn’t something it’s really possible to put a percentage on because it’s so dependent on the judge. Just another great reason to do as much research as you can while applying, especially once you land an interview. (It’s not “super uncommon,” though - judges are at the top of an industry that attracts lots of Type-A perfectionist types.)