Turning down interviews

Jubo

Turning down interviews

Post by Jubo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:14 am

Is it okay to turn down interviews, and what is the best way to go about this?

archipm

Re: Turning down interviews

Post by archipm » Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 am

"Thanks so much for reaching out. I've already accepted a position elsewhere, but I appreciate the invitation to interview."

im assuming you already accepted a position elsewhere bc otherwise idk why you would be turning down an interview somewhere you presumably applied to work

eta: got here from active topics and just realized its for a clerkship. i dont think its meaningfully different but you could say you're no longer looking for a clerkship for that term or something assuming you'd rather stay at your job than clerk for that judge.

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Wed May 15, 2019 9:33 am

It's more of a situation where it's a clerkship I'd accept after maybe a few rejections, but it's somewhat of a last choice (because of its location) and I got this offer within days of sending out about 60 apps, so I'd like to hear back from a few others first, even if it's rejections.

Is it bad form to schedule the interview further out?

MJB

Post by MJB » Wed May 15, 2019 10:32 am

In the chambers I've worked in, you probably wouldn't have had the chance to schedule further out. Once my judges were ready to start interviewing, they were also ready to hire, and the offer to interview was generally presented as "here are two days the judge has available [usually in the very near future]; which one do you prefer?," with any offer coming very soon after the interview. A request to delay substantially would usually be rejected; the judge would prefer to hire now from the large pool of qualified applicants rather than delay the search to accommodate any particular applicant. (I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask, though.)

Otherwise, if you're pretty sure you're competitive for other clerkships, I'd probably go ahead and decline the interview. I don't think you need to offer an explanation initially, but the JA may ask why. In that case, I'd probably be honest but diplomatic, saying something about reconsidering the scope of your search. You might burn that bridge, but IMHO it's better than lying about deciding not to clerk that year or getting a position somewhere else.

(Also, note that most chambers do not send rejections to people they don't interview, so you'll probably never hear back from most of the judges you apply to. You can sometimes watch OSCAR to see if a particular position goes FILLED, though.)

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed May 15, 2019 10:37 am

You certainly can turn an interview down if you’ve reconsidered working in that location, and it’s better to do so now if you know you wouldn’t work there. But you do run the risk of not getting anything else.

You can try to schedule it out a bit, if it’s non-local, but it’s going to be entirely up to the judge. They may well say “these are the possible dates, take it or leave it” for the reasons MJB described.

This is unfortunately the issue with clerkship applications, and there’s not much you can do about it. I’d have maybe suggested applying in waves, but too late for that now.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am

Staggering applications would've been the right thing to do. I guess you can schedule the interview "further out" if the judge offers some flexibility but I imagine it sends a bad signal if you're trying to interview like months out, and the position could easily fill before you interview. I think the usual is just to take whatever interviews and offers you get with just a tiny bit of flexibility if you happen to have two interviews together in a short time. But it's tougher to do when you only have one interview.

BTW if I remember your school right from other posts, I would just be cautious, the worst thing you can do is overestimate your clerkship chances and lose this interview without getting anything else. A d.ct/coa clerkship is a d.ct/coa clerkship, and much better than not getting one...

Jubo

Post by Jubo » Wed May 15, 2019 11:34 am

lolwat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 11:02 am
Staggering applications would've been the right thing to do. I guess you can schedule the interview "further out" if the judge offers some flexibility but I imagine it sends a bad signal if you're trying to interview like months out, and the position could easily fill before you interview. I think the usual is just to take whatever interviews and offers you get with just a tiny bit of flexibility if you happen to have two interviews together in a short time. But it's tougher to do when you only have one interview.

BTW if I remember your school right from other posts, I would just be cautious, the worst thing you can do is overestimate your clerkship chances and lose this interview without getting anything else. A d.ct/coa clerkship is a d.ct/coa clerkship, and much better than not getting one...
Yeah tbh I wanted to post anon but was too rushed to do so. My personal situation is that not having a clerkship is nbd because I really like my job anyway and am not looking to make a move; I'm applying to clerk for the training and experience, not really ~prestige~ or resume boosting.

To give more info, I am more than happy with the location and clerking there, but after getting the invitation to interview and talking to my fiancee about it, she is strongly opposed to any potential living situation. Granted, she doesn't work and since I 100% financially supporting both of us, she's willing to make concessions about where we live, but she really doesn't want this.

I'm basically weighing, on the one hand, I really want this clerkship, and on the other hand, 1.) moving, 2.) drastically reduced income, 3.) straining my relationship and making my SO very unhappy, and 4.) the chance at more convenient clerkships.

ETA -

Great news, I've actually found a solution that my fiancee is OK with and will be taking the interview. Fingers crossed I get something.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Good to hear that you came up with a good solution to this! The clerkship process is difficult enough without having all these other things to consider. :)