Two Interviews on the Same Court on the Same Day

ClerkshipQuestion

Two Interviews on the Same Court on the Same Day

Post by ClerkshipQuestion » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:25 pm

I have two clerkship interviews on the same court on the same day. I prefer the judge I am interviewing with second to the first. However, I have heard that the second judge will allow the first to offer me first (if he wants) since he was the first to offer me an interview at all. The chambers are in contact about my interview schedule and they both know they are both interviewing me. I also only got the second interview because I landed the first.

If given an offer from the first judge, is it reasonable to ask if I may have some time to hear back from both judges since he knows I interviewed with his colleagues and I would like to consider both options to make a fully informed decision? Obviously, then, the second judge can offer me or not, but is that a no-no to do to the first judge?

ClerkshipQuestion

Re: Two Interviews on the Same Court on the Same Day

Post by ClerkshipQuestion » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:32 pm

Oh, and to make things more complicated, the second judge is being appointed to a higher court in a more desirable city. That's where the preference comes in.

lolwat

Re: Two Interviews on the Same Court on the Same Day

Post by lolwat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:05 am

This is tricky, and there's probably a couple ways you could go about this. For most jobs it's totally reasonable to ask for time to consider, but when it comes to clerkships, some judges do want an immediate answer and I've heard all sorts of horror stories about offers being pulled for various reasons. (The most benign reason being that you likely aren't the only applicant the first judge is interviewing, and someone else might snap-accept an offer.) And since they obviously already are talking to each other, if they don't like what you do, then they could both no-offer you and you end up with nothing.

As for your second post, are these federal clerkships (you weren't exactly clear, which may have been intentional)? Do you want to do two? Because if both judges like you, you could always discuss with the second judge the possibility of clerking for judge #1 in year 1, and clerking for judge #2 in year 2 (on the higher court). Pretty common for people to go D.Ct. clerkship to COA clerkship. Probably works in state practice as well (e.g., COA clerkship to SSC clerkship) but that's more up to you if you want to do two clerkships at the state level.

That may actually be the right (or at least "safe") way to go if you land an offer from judge #1 first. Call up the second judge and tell him you've accepted the offer, but you're still very interested in clerking for him the following year and see if he makes you an offer to do so or just tells you to reapply. Who knows.