2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Guest22222

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Guest22222 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 am

Anyone have any info on munger LA hiring?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 am

Does anyone else not have a job? My clerkship ends this month. Not really sure what to do at this point other than keep on applying. This is tough.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am

Guest wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 am
Does anyone else not have a job? My clerkship ends this month. Not really sure what to do at this point other than keep on applying. This is tough.
Yeah, there's nothing else you can do but keep applying, but I would suggest anyone in this position to look outside the big firms and the super high-end well-known boutiques (Susman, Hueston, WW+E, etc.). Boutiques and "midlaw" (which you have to do a lot of research on but isn't always a bad thing) often hire based on needs rather than the usual cycle biglaw often hires on. I was in a similar boat; I had interviews going on towards the end of my clerkship, but didn't get an offer until a couple months after it ended, so it was super stressful.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

lolwat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am
Guest wrote:
Yeah, there's nothing else you can do but keep applying, but I would suggest anyone in this position to look outside the big firms and the super high-end well-known boutiques (Susman, Hueston, WW+E, etc.). Boutiques and "midlaw" (which you have to do a lot of research on but isn't always a bad thing) often hire based on needs rather than the usual cycle biglaw often hires on. I was in a similar boat; I had interviews going on towards the end of my clerkship, but didn't get an offer until a couple months after it ended, so it was super stressful.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. How did you phrase your cover letter when you applied to firms after your clerkship ended. Something along the lines of "I am a 2018 graduate and I just finished clerking ...." ?

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:52 am

Guest wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm
lolwat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:21 am
Guest wrote:
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. How did you phrase your cover letter when you applied to firms after your clerkship ended. Something along the lines of "I am a 2018 graduate and I just finished clerking ...." ?
I don't remember for sure, but I probably said something along those lines. I guess if I put a little more thought into it, I'd probably try to subtly phrase it so that you don't look like you're already finished with the clerkship and without a job. It'll be fairly obvious to those who know how the clerkship cycle works, but hey. Something along the lines of "I graduated in 2018 from (x school) and clerked for (judge x on y court) after."