2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

yooobagz

2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by yooobagz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:16 pm

Since it doesn't appear that there is currently an active thread for post-clerkship hiring for 2018-2019 (there is a somewhat active thread on TLS, though I don't know if that's cool to talk about around these parts, lol), I figured maybe it's worth a shot to see if anyone else is hitting the job market. I know the 2017-2018 thread kind of died out due to concerns about anonymous posting, and I have no idea if that's been fixed, but if you're someone that's not particularly worried about identifying information, how are things going?

I've applied to a couple of posted job openings/clerk hiring portals at a few big firms (in my non-DC/NYC target market), but haven't heard anything back. I'm probably just a little over eager! From everything that's available to read on the web, it looks like most hiring starts to occur come the new year.

Nothing to worry about yet, I suppose, but I haven't had that magical conversation yet where someone I'm networking with offers me a job! It may not matter to me, ultimately, because I'm not sure I've got the right stuff for a big law position anyway.

In any case, whether you'd like to share any information or you're just looking for a place to commiserate, this seems like as good a place as any!

Artichoke44

Re: 2018-2019 Post-Clerkship Hiring

Post by Artichoke44 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:58 pm

I have had one interview in NY with a lit boutique. Not sure what the hiring timeline looks like for other firms here. Any info?

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:29 pm

I've been told by at least one large firm in my target market that they will begin accepting applications from clerks sometime in January. Anecdotally, it seems that there is more movement once the new year starts. However, just based on what I was reading in some of the TLS threads, it's a rather long, nebulous road to employment, lol (then again, most of those people are insanely well-credentialed folks looking to get into firms I would never even dare to apply to, so).

Congrats on the interview, that's gotta feel pretty good!

Post by 21157015576609 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 pm

So are we supposed to start this now?

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 am

I think now is as good a time as any. Obviously I'm no expert myself (and I wish there were more knowledgeable people around to talk about it), but based on the post-frequency on threads from previous years on other forums, people really began applying/getting callbacks/getting interviews in earnest in January/February/March. It looks like the hiring process goes all the way, you know, into spring and even early summer. So, it's probably not a bad idea to start sending in some applications and hope that firms begin moving later this month or in February.

anonymous clerk

Post by anonymous clerk » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:01 am

Just got the ol' solicitation to apply from Wheeler Trigg, if that gives any indication of timeline for application to people. Clerking in federal district in Michigan.

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 am

Wheeler Trigg is such a fascinating operation. They love clerks and seem to look pretty broadly geographically when they're hiring (I'm clerking in a Midwestern market and one of my former colleagues started there not too long ago), but they're not a huge outfit or anything.

Seems like a cool place to work. If I didn't have a good personal reason to stay in my target market, I would have loved to take a shot at applying there (and quickly getting dinged).

anonymous clerk

Post by anonymous clerk » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 am

yooobagz wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 am
Wheeler Trigg is such a fascinating operation. They love clerks and seem to look pretty broadly geographically when they're hiring (I'm clerking in a Midwestern market and one of my former colleagues started there not too long ago), but they're not a huge outfit or anything.

Seems like a cool place to work. If I didn't have a good personal reason to stay in my target market, I would have loved to take a shot at applying there (and quickly getting dinged).
Per their solicitation: "WTO hires only judicial clerks and lateral associates...In fact, 84% of our current associates have clerked in the [various state and federal courts]."

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

Ah, it makes sense that it's a very intentional thing that they're doing.

By the way, for those interested who might not have seen: Kirkland has updated their judicial clerk portal with opportunities for 2019.

WorkoutTapesbyFonda

Post by WorkoutTapesbyFonda » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey all: looking for some advice on contacting a firm. Before Christmas I emailed a partner at my first choice firm, who replied and said he would get back to me. I haven’t heard anything yet. I heard back from a different firm in the same city and I am flying out there for a call-back. I would like to prod firm 1 (or at least remind them I exist)-- should I contact the partner or the recruiting contact on the website? My inclination is to email the partner, but he is a big-wig and is probs really busy and I don't want to be annoying.

I also realized after I emailed my cover letter that I left out that I would be flexible on class year (I am a few years out from school). Is it worth is to bring it up at this point? If so, how should I do that?

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:16 pm

I would definitely reach out to that partner, maybe even let him know you'll be in town and you'd possibly be interested in meeting up for a cup of coffee to continue your previous conversation or something. I'm sure he's busy, but it's worth taking a shot.

I have no advice on the class year issue, though. I'd imagine that's something that would be discussed as part of the interview process?

Post by 21157015576609 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:35 pm

I had been panicking about needing to apply now, but I recently spoke with someone who's on a biglaw hiring committee and they said that it's still very early. Also, so far there's only been one firm reception in my major market. Not really sure what to make of it all.

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am

WorkoutTapesbyFonda wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm
Hey all: looking for some advice on contacting a firm. Before Christmas I emailed a partner at my first choice firm, who replied and said he would get back to me. I haven’t heard anything yet. I heard back from a different firm in the same city and I am flying out there for a call-back. I would like to prod firm 1 (or at least remind them I exist)-- should I contact the partner or the recruiting contact on the website? My inclination is to email the partner, but he is a big-wig and is probs really busy and I don't want to be annoying.

I also realized after I emailed my cover letter that I left out that I would be flexible on class year (I am a few years out from school). Is it worth is to bring it up at this point? If so, how should I do that?
If you are already in touch with the partner, then probably fine to just email him and let him know you will be around. I don't think I would mention the class year thing at this particular moment.

GuyWhoWatches

Post by GuyWhoWatches » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 pm

yooobagz wrote:

As a former paralegal that has dealt with some partners/associates at WTO, I'll let you know that they are a very competent law firm. They usually pair a partner/associate for large cases and work them late in the game to prep for trial. A lot of their clients are large corporations and insurance companies. I'm planning on looking at them post-clerkship as well. Not sure about Denver though...

Rahm

Post by Rahm » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 am

Has anyone heard about any movement in Chicago?

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:51 am

Rahm wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:54 am
Has anyone heard about any movement in Chicago?
Not a peep. I haven't heard from anyone about any movement in Chicago at all. Maybe a little worrying, who knows. Sorry to disappoint, Mayor Rahm.

qquestion

Post by qquestion » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 pm

During law school, I did several interviews on the West Coast but ended up on the East Coast. I'm now back on the West Coast and want to apply to a few of the firms that I interviewed with during law school. Do I mention that I previously interviewed? Do I mention I was previously offered (with a generic reason/excuse for why I went to a different city)? Or do I mention nothing and hope my application is strong enough to not get lost in the pile?

The firms I'm targeting are much smaller firms/litigation boutiques, if that changes the analysis.

AT9

Post by AT9 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:35 pm

anonymous clerk wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:41 am
yooobagz wrote:

Per their solicitation: "WTO hires only judicial clerks and lateral associates...In fact, 84% of our current associates have clerked in the [various state and federal courts]."
FWIW, I got a screener there (although the recruiting person keeps taking forever to schedule something) without amazing stats. I'm at a respected SSC across the country, from a school in the 20s/30s, and only have somewhat loose connections to CO.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Got invited to interview at a fairly large, well-respected Midwestern firm on Jan. 23rd. The recruitment lady asked me for my availability for this week and I let her know what my schedule looked like (I also made it clear that I'd be extremely flexible - I'm clerking, they don't need me around everyday, right? ;)) Anyway, a week goes by and I don't hear anything. Now, we did have the polar vortex stuff happen, so on the 30th (when it was bitterly cold basically everywhere), I sent a follow up email just to check if they had selected a date. Now, fully two weeks later I still haven't heard ANYTHING, and I sent another follow up email this morning, reiterating my interest and mentioning that I'd be happy to provide more dates if need be, because it doesn't seem like they're going to get around to interviewing anyone this week.

I'm sure it's difficult to get a hiring committee together when everyone is super busy with work, but what's the move here? I'll wait another week to hear something, but should I call at that point? For what is otherwise known as a very professional outfit, keeping candidates in the dark like this seems like kind of a shitty move.

WorkoutTapesbyFonda

Post by WorkoutTapesbyFonda » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Guest wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 pm
Got invited to interview at a fairly large, well-respected Midwestern firm on Jan. 23rd. The recruitment lady asked me for my availability for this week and I let her know what my schedule looked like (I also made it clear that I'd be extremely flexible - I'm clerking, they don't need me around everyday, right? ;)) Anyway, a week goes by and I don't hear anything. Now, we did have the polar vortex stuff happen, so on the 30th (when it was bitterly cold basically everywhere), I sent a follow up email just to check if they had selected a date. Now, fully two weeks later I still haven't heard ANYTHING, and I sent another follow up email this morning, reiterating my interest and mentioning that I'd be happy to provide more dates if need be, because it doesn't seem like they're going to get around to interviewing anyone this week.

I'm sure it's difficult to get a hiring committee together when everyone is super busy with work, but what's the move here? I'll wait another week to hear something, but should I call at that point? For what is otherwise known as a very professional outfit, keeping candidates in the dark like this seems like kind of a shitty move.
In my experience, this is not at all unusual. Unlike summer associate hiring, there is not always an organized system in place for hiring clerks. I doubt the recruiter is blowing you off, but I also question if following up again is worth your while. At this point, they know you exist and if they are serious about you they will interview you. Now that you've followed up twice, I think you should move on. You'll be pleasantly surprised when they finally get back in touch.

FWIW, I know a bunch of the firms in Chicago were closed during the cold weather, but people continued to check their email. I scheduled a handful of interviews in Chicago over the last few weeks. I doubt the cold weather caused the delay, it is probably because of something else (i.e. the group is busy, the important partner had to leave town, etc.).

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am

WorkoutTapesbyFonda wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:36 pm
In my experience, this is not at all unusual. Unlike summer associate hiring, there is not always an organized system in place for hiring clerks. I doubt the recruiter is blowing you off, but I also question if following up again is worth your while. At this point, they know you exist and if they are serious about you they will interview you. Now that you've followed up twice, I think you should move on. You'll be pleasantly surprised when they finally get back in touch.

FWIW, I know a bunch of the firms in Chicago were closed during the cold weather, but people continued to check their email. I scheduled a handful of interviews in Chicago over the last few weeks. I doubt the cold weather caused the delay, it is probably because of something else (i.e. the group is busy, the important partner had to leave town, etc.).
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I guess since this is the first and only response I've gotten from the applications I've sent in, I'm overeager to try and make something stick.

2017 Clerk

Post by 2017 Clerk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I’m coming off of 2 years of clerking. I just got an offer at my first choice firm (yay!). I was certain that if I got an offer, I would come in as a first year— I have no big law experience and I’ve heard from former clerks that this firm tends to not give class year credit. They want me to come in as a member of the class of 2017. I am grateful, but also stunned and a little intimidated.

So questions: what does the class year really mean? Will I be judged against other members of my class? I am concerned that will hurt me down the road when my class-mates are way ahead of me in experience and billables. Is there a downside? Should I expect to majorly hustle when I start to catch up to my peers?

yooobagz

Post by yooobagz » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:30 am

2017 Clerk wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm
I’m coming off of 2 years of clerking. I just got an offer at my first choice firm (yay!). I was certain that if I got an offer, I would come in as a first year— I have no big law experience and I’ve heard from former clerks that this firm tends to not give class year credit. They want me to come in as a member of the class of 2017. I am grateful, but also stunned and a little intimidated.

So questions: what does the class year really mean? Will I be judged against other members of my class? I am concerned that will hurt me down the road when my class-mates are way ahead of me in experience and billables. Is there a downside? Should I expect to majorly hustle when I start to catch up to my peers?
I think I saw your post in the TLS thread (lol), but just to echo what that other poster said, I don't think this is a huge deal. All of the associates I'm friends with and partners I've talked to know it takes a little while for clerks to be totally on board and catch up with the learning curve, but you'll get there sooner rather than later. It might feel a little more sink-or-swim at first, but a 2nd year associate is still very junior and you already have skills/knowledge that incoming first years don't have so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Just enjoy the pay bump and keep your nose to the grindstone!

2017 clerk

Post by 2017 clerk » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 am

yooobagz wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:30 am
2017 Clerk wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

I think I saw your post in the TLS thread (lol), but just to echo what that other poster said, I don't think this is a huge deal. All of the associates I'm friends with and partners I've talked to know it takes a little while for clerks to be totally on board and catch up with the learning curve, but you'll get there sooner rather than later. It might feel a little more sink-or-swim at first, but a 2nd year associate is still very junior and you already have skills/knowledge that incoming first years don't have so I wouldn't stress about it too much. Just enjoy the pay bump and keep your nose to the grindstone!
Haha, yep that was me. Thank you for the reply—I totally panicked when I saw the class year. But I’ve heard from several people now that it’s really not a huge deal and I feel more comfortable with it. I’ll just enjoy it now before I have to hustle at the firm!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Any sense of where the DC market is at with hiring? Getting nervous...