How to find out if a judge is not on the plan?

ti301

How to find out if a judge is not on the plan?

Post by ti301 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm

How are you supposed to find out if a judge is ignoring the plan? I tried calling the contact information listed on the Circuit website but they just referred me back to Oscar (should I have asked to be forwarded to the specific judge's chambers, instead?)? Or are people just mailing out applications with the hope that the judge will consider them outside the plan?

lawman84

Re: How to find out if a judge is not on the plan?

Post by lawman84 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Unless you know the judge's clerks, your two options are OSCAR or calling chambers.

ti301

Post by ti301 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 pm

This is a super basic/stupid question, but what is the best way to reach chambers? I see that the only # available is a single phone # for each circuit. Do you call that number and ask for the chambers of Judge X? I can't access Oscar because I'm not a 3L, unfortunately.

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:00 am

ti301 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:44 pm
This is a super basic/stupid question, but what is the best way to reach chambers? I see that the only # available is a single phone # for each circuit. Do you call that number and ask for the chambers of Judge X? I can't access Oscar because I'm not a 3L, unfortunately.
You don't know a 3L who will allow you to login? I found this quickly with a little googling:
https://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900 ... formation/

I recommend you talk to a 3L who has access to OSCAR (or a grad) and note which judges specify on there that they are on the plan before you start calling. It also shouldn't be hard to verify the numbers listed on the link above (those numbers will be a good place to start). Some COAs even have directories online with chambers numbers or have it on the judge's bio.

ti301

Post by ti301 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm

This is super helpful. Thanks!!

MJB

Post by MJB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Your clerkship office should have resources (assuming they'll let you use them for off-plan judges if you're not a 3L) - it's been a while, but I think the Judicial Yellow Book had some of that information. You might also be able to find some of them as reference materials in a law library if your clerkship office doesn't want to let you use them.

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm

ti301 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:51 pm
This is super helpful. Thanks!!
Also, look at the Almanac of the Federal Judiciary on Westlaw under directories. It should also have numbers and addresses.

Post by guest » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:22 pm

Is there there a significant risk in blanketing applications to judges as a 2L without first checking whether or not if each individual judge is on the plan? I.e. would you undermine a potential future application by sending an unsolicited physical application to a judge who is adhering to the plan (annoy the judge, etc)?

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:15 am

guest wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:22 pm
Is there there a significant risk in blanketing applications to judges as a 2L without first checking whether or not if each individual judge is on the plan? I.e. would you undermine a potential future application by sending an unsolicited physical application to a judge who is adhering to the plan (annoy the judge, etc)?
Speaking only for my own chambers experience when I say: this annoyed us and hurt the applicant.