off-cycle post-clerkship hiring

n_olav

off-cycle post-clerkship hiring

Post by n_olav » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 pm

I'll be starting a COA clerkship running November/December this year to December/January next year. Hoping to stay in the circuit & city where I'm clerking. Even in this smaller market, firms seem to hire clerks in line with the typical August to August schedule, and only start looking at applications in January or February.

Given my atypical start/end date, when should I be applying to firms? Should I go ahead and apply in January, when I'll only have been clerking for a month or two and won't be available to start for almost a year?

bruh

Re: off-cycle post-clerkship hiring

Post by bruh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Yes, I would apply starting mid-December or early January. You're not really "off-cycle" by much. Many firms will allow you to start in late December or January. I should note that many former clerks I know received offers to big firms as late as late-July. So I would just start applying in January and go from there until you nab something.

lolwat

Re: off-cycle post-clerkship hiring

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:25 pm

You want to apply when everyone else is applying. You just wouldn't start at the firm until later. My sense is bigger firms don't care as much when you start as smaller firms do (smaller firms can be a bit more impatient if they currently have a high work volume). It may be a little weird in terms of your class year and stuff like that but I don't have enough insight on that kind of stuff.