Clerkship and CoVid

annalisekeating

Clerkship and CoVid

Post by annalisekeating » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm a 3L supposed to start a district court clerkship in August. Planned to write the bar in July but that's not happening anymore. Should I start my clerkship earlier and take the 2021 bar instead (are clerks still working even though the courts are closed)? or should I just wait till August?

Nony

Re: Clerkship and CoVid

Post by Nony » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:01 pm

In the court where I practice, clerks are working remotely. (Not sure what’s really happening behind the scenes, but they’re still employed.) The problem with starting earlier is that the current clerk probably won’t have left yet and there often literally isn’t a lot of room for another clerk, nor would they necessarily be able to pay you and the person you’re replacing at the same time.

But this is the kind of thing that’s really up to your judge, so you should ask them if you’re interested in starting early.

beep

Post by beep » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:39 am

It doesn't cost anything to ask, but if you asked my judge to start early I don't think he/she would know how to answer if "early" means "outside the normal range". Clerks start when they start. Something like May is probably not going to happen. And yea, they are working remotely right now. It's gotta be a pretty weird time to clerk; half a year of normalcy and then this.

annalisekeating

Post by annalisekeating » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:51 pm

Thank you. I was thinking about starting in June. I'll just reach out to my judge.

adzofsuf

Post by adzofsuf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 am

Would this be up to your Judge? Since you will be a State employee, you would probably need to go through a process with the state court administration. I'm in the same situation as you. I'm pretty concerned about studying for the bar and clerking full-time which seems like that will happening whether this year or next.

Nony

Post by Nony » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am

I assumed the OP was going to be a federal employee? But in either case start dates and such are pretty much up to the judge. They just may not have room/money to start people that early when someone else is already working for them.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Yep, I think you can definitely ask if you can start early.

ggocat

Post by ggocat » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm

Nony wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am
I assumed the OP was going to be a federal employee? But in either case start dates and such are pretty much up to the judge. They just may not have room/money to start people that early when someone else is already working for them.
Agree with this, but I'll emphasize that might not be up to the individual judge. I'm not sure how budgets work in federal district courts, but I assume judges don't just have unlimited funds to hire extra people, which is exactly what would be happening if a clerk asks to start 3 months early. It wouldn't happen at my (state) court because there are no extra funds available to hire extra staff.

MJB

Post by MJB » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:47 pm

ggocat wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm
Nony wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:50 am
Agree with this, but I'll emphasize that might not be up to the individual judge. I'm not sure how budgets work in federal district courts, but I assume judges don't just have unlimited funds to hire extra people, which is exactly what would be happening if a clerk asks to start 3 months early. It wouldn't happen at my (state) court because there are no extra funds available to hire extra staff.
Same in the federal courts I worked at. Unless old clerk is willing to leave several months early, would probably be a weird volunteer situation that judge might not okay (and would defeat the purpose if salary and benefits are part of the rationale for starting early).

annalisekeating

Post by annalisekeating » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm

OP here, it's a federal clerkship. Salary and benefits are motivating factors for starting early.

The bar is scheduled for September (hopefully they don't move it again) so I might just cut my financial losses and start October. People have suggested I start working and take off the week before the bar to refresh my studying but I think that might be risky; I don't want to write this exam twice.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 am

annalisekeating wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:59 pm
OP here, it's a federal clerkship. Salary and benefits are motivating factors for starting early.

The bar is scheduled for September (hopefully they don't move it again) so I might just cut my financial losses and start October. People have suggested I start working and take off the week before the bar to refresh my studying but I think that might be risky; I don't want to write this exam twice.
I think that's a good plan, just start in October after you take the exam. I'm sure you'd be fine either way with the bar but it can definitely be stressful, so I'd vote in favor of wrapping up the bar before you start work. But maybe still reach out to your judge to let them know about the situation and ask if you might be able to start early if the bar gets moved again.