3rd Clerkship

AnonymousClerk

3rd Clerkship

Post by AnonymousClerk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 am

I'm currently a 3L, and I am lucky to have obtained two enough to have obtained two federal clerkships after graduation. The first is for a district court where I eventually want to practice for 20-21 and the latter is a COA for 21-22 in a different state. I'm super excited about the COA, even though it's not where I'll end up. But there is one specific judge that I've always hoped to clerk for since the beginning of law school. I never got the chance to apply to that judge because they had already filled his/her spots for 21-22. I know the general consensus is that a third clerkship starts to hurt your career, but is there any benefit to trying to clerk for a third time? The third judge happens to sit in the circuit where I want to practice. Thank you!

Nony

Re: 3rd Clerkship

Post by Nony » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:47 am

Personal satisfaction? It might depend on what you want to do after clerking, but I don’t see any real practical reasons to do the third clerkship, unless the third judge is a feeder and you’re hoping for SCOTUS, or they have a very specific background that plays into your very specific career goals. I feel like you’d need to have a very very good reason to want to clerk for this judge when you’ll have the experience of clerking at their level and in their circuit already. I don’t think it would torpedo your career by any means, so if it’s really personally important to you, go for it, I just don’t think most individual judges are actually worth this (for instance: do you know what this judge is actually like as a boss/human being?).

MJB

Post by MJB » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am

I agree with nony. It sounds like the second COA judge's name might go a little further in the market where you want to practice than the first COA judge's name, but that's a pretty thin basis on which to delay starting your career another year.

It's also worth considering whether you'll want to clerk again, particularly at a COA (which some people find slow and monastic). Lots of people don't have great clerkship experiences, and it might not be wise to lock yourself into a third year of clerking without knowing how you'll feel after two. You can always apply later if you really, really want to (unless the second COA judge doesn't hire people with experience or might pass away or something).

AnonymousClerk

Post by AnonymousClerk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:03 pm

MJB wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:55 am
I agree with nony. It sounds like the second COA judge's name might go a little further in the market where you want to practice than the first COA judge's name, but that's a pretty thin basis on which to delay starting your career another year.

It's also worth considering whether you'll want to clerk again, particularly at a COA (which some people find slow and monastic). Lots of people don't have great clerkship experiences, and it might not be wise to lock yourself into a third year of clerking without knowing how you'll feel after two. You can always apply later if you really, really want to (unless the second COA judge doesn't hire people with experience or might pass away or something).
Thank you both for the response. I have no dreams of ever clerking for SCOTUS (i don't go to HYS haha). The judge just happens to be a personal hero of mine, so it's something i always wanted to do. But you guys are probably right in saying that there's very little experience to gain beyond personal fulfillment. If this is something I do intend to pursue in the future, I'll probably at least wait to see how much I enjoy my COA clerkship for a few months.

I'm guessing it's very unlikely i would receive class credit or a bonus for the third clerkship if I were to go back to any firm?

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:17 am

Doing a third clerkship just because the judge is a personal hero might give you some personal satisfaction but it's not going to help in terms of experience or career. There are a few circumstances I can think of where a third clerkship could help, but it's all super specialized type of stuff or if the judges you already are going to clerk for are horrible mentors or something like that.

And I'd say super unlikely on class credit or bonus.