Clerks Taking Questions

lolwat
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lolwat » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 am

THade wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 pm
Any perspective on my chances or tips of where I should be applying or what I should be doing?

T20 school, Top 1/3rd, EIC of Law Review. I'm looking for 2019, or in 2020 after a year in biglaw.
Aren’t many judges done for 2019 by now or am I not remembering the timing right anymore? I’d probably immediately blanket apply everywhere you’re willing to live for a year. Top 1/3 from a t20 will be really hard even in the best of times. Target judges who have hired from your school before. See if any of your profs are willing to make GOOD rec calls for you. The kind of “this guy/gal is AMAZING” calls that will make judges see past your GPA. Applying for a year after having biglaw might get you farther.

Wanna PM me which t20 you’re at in case I can give you a better answer?

lawman84
Posts: 1173
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lawman84 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 am

lolwat wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:48 am
THade wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 pm
Any perspective on my chances or tips of where I should be applying or what I should be doing?

T20 school, Top 1/3rd, EIC of Law Review. I'm looking for 2019, or in 2020 after a year in biglaw.
Aren’t many judges done for 2019 by now or am I not remembering the timing right anymore? I’d probably immediately blanket apply everywhere you’re willing to live for a year. Top 1/3 from a t20 will be really hard even in the best of times. Target judges who have hired from your school before. See if any of your profs are willing to make GOOD rec calls for you. The kind of “this guy/gal is AMAZING” calls that will make judges see past your GPA. Applying for a year after having biglaw might get you farther.

Wanna PM me which t20 you’re at in case I can give you a better answer?
Yes. But if the OP is looking for a D. Ct., there are still plenty who have not hired. I agree with your advice. Being EIC of law review might make a difference with alumni judges who were on law review at OP's school. I'd expect there to be people at the law school who could direct the OP to judges who like to hire from the school's law review.(Clerkship Committee or Law Review Adviser or Clerkship Office/CSO or etc.)

User avatar
MJB
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by MJB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:03 am

Yeah, I agree with lolwat - the general advice is pretty much apply broadly and hope, and your school, GPA, and timeframe won't really let you be much more selective. There are probably some judges' chambers where you'll have a better chance (judges in your region if you're at a more regionally focused school, for example), but there's really no reason to take yourself out of the running preemptively in any chambers by not applying.

axelfoley
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by axelfoley » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am

.
Last edited by axelfoley on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruh
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by bruh » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:23 am

axelfoley wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am
I'm a graduating 3L at a CCN in the top 10% (maybe top 5%?). I'm on Law Review; will graduate Order of the Coif. How much of a dealbreaker is it that I didn't write a note? I don't have any good reason for not doing so -- simply didn't get around to it. Thanks!
It's not

notlegaladvice
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by notlegaladvice » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am

Definitely not a dealbreaker, and I don't think it's a huge deal, but depending on the rest of your resume, I might want to see that you did something else besides just take classes. I honestly thought that most journals required members to write a note, so if it wasn't on your resume, I'd assume you wrote one but just didn't get published. Do you have a board position on LR or just staff?

edit: given that you're a 3L now and just applying to clerkships, are you applying a few years out? If so, and you'll have some WE before you clerk, something like not writing a note matters a lot less given your strong grades

axelfoley
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by axelfoley » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:08 pm

.
Last edited by axelfoley on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lolwat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:34 pm

On the margins it might matter to certain judges, and it might come up during interviews, but with top 5-10% from a CCN on LR with a couple years of WE before the clerkship starts, you'll likely get plenty of interviews if you, as you say you will, cast the net widely. By then everyone will just see your school, your grades, and your WE, and might even not realize you didn't publish a note.

COA clerk

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by COA clerk » Sun May 13, 2018 10:59 am

COA clerk/incoming D.Ct. clerk taking questions. Although this thread seems to be geared toward the clerkship application process, if anyone incoming law clerks have questions, feel free to shoot 'em here.

BearCat
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:43 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by BearCat » Mon May 14, 2018 12:07 pm

notlegaladvice wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am
I might want to see that you did something else besides just take classes.
By this, do you also mean clinics and externships?

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Nony » Mon May 14, 2018 12:09 pm

Not the same person, but personally, yes. I want to see that a person was out there getting experience of some kind. (Probably closer to moot for applicants with actual experience though.)

notlegaladvice
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:56 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by notlegaladvice » Wed May 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Yes, and same as Nony, but for me that would also include things like eboard, moot/mock/ADR, RAing even.

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Nony » Wed May 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Oh, yeah, definitely those things too. (Not so much random student groups unless you were an officer/can show you did something with it.)

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by AT9 » Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm

When does the biglaw job hunt start for clerks? I can probably go back to my current firm which is cool, but I'm also potentially looking at some other markets (think Minneapolis, Denver, KC, etc.)). Just wondering when I need to start gearing up since I know nothing about the clerking job hunt.

lawman84
Posts: 1173
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lawman84 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 pm

AT9 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm
When does the biglaw job hunt start for clerks? I can probably go back to my current firm which is cool, but I'm also potentially looking at some other markets (think Minneapolis, Denver, KC, etc.)). Just wondering when I need to start gearing up since I know nothing about the clerking job hunt.
Based on my perceptions from reading the other site, it seems like it starts to heat up in the January to March range. Some people start applying as early as November, but it doesn't seem like movement really starts until around February. But that's only based on my reading of the threads.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by AT9 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:52 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:03 pm
AT9 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:45 pm
When does the biglaw job hunt start for clerks? I can probably go back to my current firm which is cool, but I'm also potentially looking at some other markets (think Minneapolis, Denver, KC, etc.)). Just wondering when I need to start gearing up since I know nothing about the clerking job hunt.
Based on my perceptions from reading the other site, it seems like it starts to heat up in the January to March range. Some people start applying as early as November, but it doesn't seem like movement really starts until around February. But that's only based on my reading of the threads.
Thanks, that’s helpful.

bruh
Posts: 599
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by bruh » Fri May 18, 2018 5:50 pm

THade wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:43 pm
Any perspective on my chances or tips of where I should be applying or what I should be doing?

T20 school, Top 1/3rd, EIC of Law Review. I'm looking for 2019, or in 2020 after a year in biglaw.
With top third grades and EIC of LR, I would just shoot your shot everywhere. I would first focus on the 2, 5, 10, or 20 judges that: (a) you have an ostensible reason for applying to (e.g., you are from the same area as that judge or want to eventually work in the same area as that judge or you have the same background--like military experience or alma mater)--basically, apply to judges who you think that if grades weren't a factor, your resume would likely get a second look; (b) your recommenders and CSO contact person(s) know and think you should apply to; and (c) you, for whatever reason, want to clerk for.

After focusing on those judges (and I suspect you'll at least land an interview or two from this), I would just apply broadly. Your chances of landing a D.Ct clerkship are extremely high; your chances of landing a COA are not great at all, but definitely not terrible. Just apply broadly after doing a more focused hunt and you'll end up fine

lolwat
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lolwat » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 pm

IMO top 1/3 from a T20 does not give an “extremely high chance” regardless of EIC of LR. Same advice as I gave before which is apply everywhere. If you apply broadly enough you probably will get some interviews but not a lock at all. (Above advice re targeting is good; you gotta start somewhere in your broadly applying.)

Re job hunt, I think jan to mar is about right. If you’re really interested somewhere you could always just ask them. Some told me to go ahead and send my stuff in, some told me to wait.

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 4741
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by Nony » Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 pm

I tend to agree that it’s not an extremely high chance, though I think it’s a decent chance.

And I always heard start applying in around February too.

CurrentClerk

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by CurrentClerk » Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm

Having just finished my hiring cycle, I started applying in Oct/Nov. It seemed to me that many NYC firms were interviewing by thanksgiving and done by January. Other major markets didn't seem to start until Jan but were pretty fast. Secondary markets (such as Denver, which was asked about) were definitely slower and callbacks seemed to be set in March or so.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by AT9 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

One more specific question that people here may not be able to answer since most questions here concern federal clerkships—please don’t quote.

How portable is a DE Supreme or Chancery Court clerkship? Seems like they do well in NYC, but do people in secondary markets value them at all? Think the places I mentioned above—Denver/Dallas/KC/Minneapolis type markets.

lolwat
Posts: 582
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 am

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by lolwat » Fri May 25, 2018 3:19 pm

No personal experience but would imagine it really depends on how much of the firm’s practice deals with Delaware law. I would guess not so much in secondary markets. I’m in CA and think we’ve briefed DE law literally once in my years here, and not because it applied but because it was useful in discussing the point we were making. But I can definitely be wrong-just my gut feeling here.

User avatar
AT9
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by AT9 » Mon May 28, 2018 11:03 pm

^Thanks for your comment. Regardless of the application of Delaware law specifically, my hope is that firms will value the experience for the courts' reputation for high-level corporate and contractual expertise, at least for commercial/corp lit departments and firms. But I guess I'll find out soon enough!

rokiv

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by rokiv » Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi,

Looking to get some info about leaving biglaw to clerk after about a year. Are big firms generally kosher with regards to this, or is there a risk of burning bridges?

User avatar
quiver
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by quiver » Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 pm

rokiv wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm
Hi,

Looking to get some info about leaving biglaw to clerk after about a year. Are big firms generally kosher with regards to this, or is there a risk of burning bridges?
Depends on the specific firm and specific partners. But this is pretty common nowadays and firms generally accept (sometimes encourage) associates leaving to clerk.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest