Clerks Taking Questions

CS1775

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by CS1775 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 pm

lolwat wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:54 am
I hope you get it, man. Knowing practically nothing, if I had to guess, it would be that the judge probably schedules interviews throughout a few weeks and likes to finish all of them before making any decisions.

As for the transcript question, I'm not sure I ever used an official law school transcript anywhere at all. I used a separate "grade sheet" document that was essentially an unofficial transcript from my school formatted in a way that looked nice but had all of the information on it, and just called it an unofficial transcript whenever I applied to places. But when I applied to places through OSCAR that wanted undergraduate transcripts, I used a scanned copy of my official transcript. I have no idea if it reflects poorly or not because it has never been brought up. I certainly wouldn't think much about it as someone that reviewed clerkship applications (and reviews firm applications).
Good to hear re: the transcript, if its a non-conversation piece, that's fine by me.

The inside baseball on my previous interview is that the judge usually takes a vacation during the middle of July. He also added a permanent clerk to his staff last year and the permanent clerk is part of the hiring process for term clerks (which is good for me - she taught a seminar at my law school). So I'm doing my best to not worry as its 100% out of my control.

ES Bubbles

Post by ES Bubbles » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:48 am

Word of advice to all those applying: send a chambers-tailored cover letter that doesn't just vomit your resume. I've reviewed so many applications this past week that were sooooo generic and could be meant for any judge at our court. Take a second to read a bio or search on LinkedIn/Google. If you can't put in the 5 minutes of effort, please don't waste my time unless your stats will blow my socks off. The people who sent tailored cover letters (and had comparable credentials to other candidates) stood out and were forgiven for issues that other candidates couldn't overcome. Doesn't have to be the whole cover letter, but rather just a line or two showing you tried.

*Applications for my chambers have closed, so please don't ask me any specifics. Just heed the advice

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:40 pm

ES Bubbles wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:48 am
Word of advice to all those applying: send a chambers-tailored cover letter that doesn't just vomit your resume. I've reviewed so many applications this past week that were sooooo generic and could be meant for any judge at our court. Take a second to read a bio or search on LinkedIn/Google. If you can't put in the 5 minutes of effort, please don't waste my time unless your stats will blow my socks off. The people who sent tailored cover letters (and had comparable credentials to other candidates) stood out and were forgiven for issues that other candidates couldn't overcome. Doesn't have to be the whole cover letter, but rather just a line or two showing you tried.

*Applications for my chambers have closed, so please don't ask me any specifics. Just heed the advice
This tends to be a bit tricky especially for OSCAR applications and for judges on the hiring plan. I agree it is best to tailor cover letters. Especially so for (1) applicants who don't have the stats that practically guarantee at least getting interviews and (2) judges in smaller towns where connections and personalization seem to go a lot farther. But once you get into the realm of mass-applying, you don't always have the time to research each of 100 judges you're applying to and come up with something interesting for each cover letter. At some point it becomes a time thing where you know you'll lose the judges/clerks that pay attention to cover letters but you get out more applications.