rokiv

Re: Clerks Taking Questions

Post by rokiv » Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm

quiver wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 pm
rokiv wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm
Hi,

Looking to get some info about leaving biglaw to clerk after about a year. Are big firms generally kosher with regards to this, or is there a risk of burning bridges?
Depends on the specific firm and specific partners. But this is pretty common nowadays and firms generally accept (sometimes encourage) associates leaving to clerk.
Is there any generally accepted timeline for notifying a firm? Before you begin applying or after you’ve accepted an offer?

AT9

Post by AT9 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:23 am

rokiv wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 8:25 pm
quiver wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:51 pm
rokiv wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:46 pm
Hi,

Looking to get some info about leaving biglaw to clerk after about a year. Are big firms generally kosher with regards to this, or is there a risk of burning bridges?
Depends on the specific firm and specific partners. But this is pretty common nowadays and firms generally accept (sometimes encourage) associates leaving to clerk.
Is there any generally accepted timeline for notifying a firm? Before you begin applying or after you’ve accepted an offer?
I told mine as soon as I got an offer (during my 3L year and before starting my first year). Don’t know what the right answer is, just an anecdote.

SpikeSeagull

Post by SpikeSeagull » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:42 am

Soooo what should the c/o 2020 be doing now w/ the new hiring plan? Nothing besides building relationships w/ profs and getting good grades?

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 pm

SpikeSeagull wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:42 am
Soooo what should the c/o 2020 be doing now w/ the new hiring plan? Nothing besides building relationships w/ profs and getting good grades?
There are a lot of judges who aren't sticking to the hiring plan. I'd recommend being prepared now if you have the qualifications.

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi, starting a dist. ct. clerkship soon, and I have two questions:
(1) Anything in particular I should/should not bring with me on my first day?
(2) What's the deal with bluebook/westlaw/lexis? Are those things/memberships to those things provided?
Thanks!

MJB

Post by MJB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm

RoyalHollow wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:13 pm
(2) What's the deal with bluebook/westlaw/lexis? Are those things/memberships to those things provided?
Thanks!
(1) Not really, aside from the obvious (maybe bring messenger bag, wear nice clothes). No need to bring a laptop, though. I'd probably pack a lunch or be ready to get one somewhere, although in many chambers you'll go out to lunch on one of your first days. I usually also bring a snack or two. Do you have questions about anything specific?

(2) Yes to all - your court's library is generally responsible for those things.

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm

MJB wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm
RoyalHollow wrote:
Thanks!
(1) Not really, aside from the obvious (maybe bring messenger bag, wear nice clothes). No need to bring a laptop, though. I'd probably pack a lunch or be ready to get one somewhere, although in many chambers you'll go out to lunch on one of your first days. I usually also bring a snack or two. Do you have questions about anything specific?

(2) Yes to all - your court's library is generally responsible for those things.
I concur with MJB.

RoyalHollow

Post by RoyalHollow » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:40 am

MJB wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:53 pm
RoyalHollow wrote:

Great, thank you. Didn't have anything specific in mind, just didn't want to be unprepared for something less obvious.

Clerkingquestion

Post by Clerkingquestion » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi everyone, rising 2L trying to navigate the whole clerkship application process. With the whole clerkship hiring plan, my career office has told me that any apps I want to send out before I get access to OSCAR I have to essentially figure out on my own.

Any ideas on how to ascertain which judges will be following the hiring plan? As of now, was planning on doing online research + calling the judges chambers. Also trying to figure out how many applications I should send/where I should apply. Right now, I'm thinking about blanketing the West Coast (Cal, OR, WDWA), some districts near cities in the Midwest/northeast (IL, MI, NY, CT, MA, PA, etc.), and potentially the southwest (AZ, TX), but don't know how many judges/places people typically apply to.

Have ~4.0 at a T25 (no rank), non-URM, will hopefully get LR, probably do mootcourt, and doing a fed gov internship now. Plan on practicing in CA long-term. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

rockathon

Post by rockathon » Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:53 am

Last edited by rockathon on Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nony

Post by Nony » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 am

I would clerk on the traditional timeline. It’s not really something that connects directly to being an academic, it’s just an expected resume item because it goes along with high grades. It can possibly be a way to find time to publish, but that’s not always the case and you wouldn’t want to wait that long to publish anyway.

Also it’s actually harder to become a law prof the longer you practice.

rockathon

Post by rockathon » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Nony wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:58 am
I would clerk on the traditional timeline. It’s not really something that connects directly to being an academic, it’s just an expected resume item because it goes along with high grades. It can possibly be a way to find time to publish, but that’s not always the case and you wouldn’t want to wait that long to publish anyway.

Also it’s actually harder to become a law prof the longer you practice.
Wow ok. What makes it harder to be a Prof?

Nony

Post by Nony » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Because practice isn’t valued as a credential. What’s valuable is research and publications. The longer you spend practicing, the less “academic” you look (also it’s harder to make/maintain the kind of academic connections that can help you). It’s not impossible, but it’s harder.

ES Bubbles

Post by ES Bubbles » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:58 pm

Last edited by ES Bubbles on Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

rok

Post by rok » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Any info on how quickly interview invites will go out after OSCAR app opens?

emkay625

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am

rok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm
Totally dependent on the judge. Some only keep the OSCAR app open a few days, some for several months.

MJB

Post by MJB » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:26 pm

emkay625 wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:21 am
rok wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:12 pm
Totally dependent on the judge. Some only keep the OSCAR app open a few days, some for several months.
+1. Generally best to just put it out of your head after you apply if you can (and keep applying other places).

wannabeclerk

Post by wannabeclerk » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:19 am

How big of a deal is a leadership position (EIC, ME, etc.) on a secondary journal compared to being Editorial Board for LR? Is the difference minimal, or pretty big if you have the requisite grades/recommenders/connections/etc.? This coming from someone top quarter at lower T-14 thinking about competitive District Courts and non-competitive (5/6th circuit) COA

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:44 am

board on LR is probably better than EIC of a secondary but who knows. i do think EIC is probably the only position that stands out if you're on a secondary journal though. If you have the connections it probably doesn't matter. If you don't have connections but otherwise have the stats, it might matter on the margins.

bruh

Post by bruh » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:02 am

EIC of a secondary is probably better than being executive comments editor or something on LE. Definitely would stand out more in many chambers, especially if your grades are high

black_mirror

Post by black_mirror » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

Do most judges hire two years in advance? Is it known which judges do/don't.

Anon Clerk

Post by Anon Clerk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:00 pm

I just started a clerkship, and it appears that the learning curve is significant. I am straight out of law school. Former clerks, how long did it take for you to feel like you knew what you were doing? Did you get your bearings by the end of the first month? Or did it take most of the clerkship before you felt confident?

Anon Clerk

Post by Anon Clerk » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:11 pm

If you're at a trial court, I think 3 months was a big marker, and I felt pretty good by six months. I'm now a year in-- don't know everything, by any means, but I feel pretty confident when I pick up a new file. The first month was like drinking from a firehose though, hang in there!

lawman84

Post by lawman84 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:30 pm

It was tough at the start. Luckily, I had a career clerk to lean on who was willing to help. I'd say after 3 months I felt I had a very good handle on what I was doing. After 6 months, it was cake (except for the occasional complicated case).

black_mirror

Post by black_mirror » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Is being on law review an absolute must if you want to get a clerkship with a feeder/DC/2nd/9th circuit judge? Do those kind of judges even care about secondary journals (non LW)? Thanks!