Is it worth applying to clerkships that have been open on OSCAR for months?

Saami

Is it worth applying to clerkships that have been open on OSCAR for months?

Post by Saami » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 pm

I guess another way to word the question: How common is it for a judge's chambers to forget to mark a clerkship position as "filled" on OSCAR? There's a clerkship near my hometown I just applied for, but the application has been open since December 2020 and I can't help but feel like I just applied for no reason.

Story

Re: Is it worth applying to clerkships that have been open on OSCAR for months?

Post by Story » Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 am

Yes. Isn’t it really quick and easy to apply to clerkships on OSCAR, because you have all your application materials already?

Saami

Post by Saami » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 am

Story wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 am
Yes. Isn’t it really quick and easy to apply to clerkships on OSCAR, because you have all your application materials already?
I still sometimes like to customize cover letters a little bit (e.g., geographic ties) and tailor resumes/writing samples based on the judge's preferences. And I neurotically proofread everything. So, applications can take me a half hour or so. And since I just started a new job and am about to become a father, my hours have unfortunately become very precious, lol.

beep

Post by beep » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:43 pm

As with everything clerkships, there is a huge amount of variation from chambers to chambers. We always closed our OSCAR listings as soon as they were filled. I can tell you from when I was applying that that is not true of every judge.

How I would approach it in your shoes (and how I did approach it, as someone who also did not just blast out apps but spent more time customizing) was to have a line in the cover letter that if X year is full, I would also like to be considered for Y year, assuming you are open to that. Your app may not get read closely enough for that if a listing really is closed. But if it's a clerkship you would want to accept, and you don't have any other way of getting info from chambers, there's not really much more you can do.

Story

Post by Story » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:52 pm

Saami wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:52 am
Story wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:21 am
I still sometimes like to customize cover letters a little bit (e.g., geographic ties) and tailor resumes/writing samples based on the judge's preferences. And I neurotically proofread everything. So, applications can take me a half hour or so. And since I just started a new job and am about to become a father, my hours have unfortunately become very precious, lol.
You do that for each judge you apply to? Dang.

Well, I would apply anyway. Maybe adjust your editing and tailoring time based on personal life demands.

But I would at least submit the app. You have local ties and it’s as good of a leg-up as any in the clerkship game. Especially if a small market.