How do you show interest on a cover letter? What if you have no contacts at a firm?

economist123

How do you show interest on a cover letter? What if you have no contacts at a firm?

Post by economist123 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:12 am

How do you come across as showing you know more than just their website to convey genuine interest in the firm? I have a firm I am really interested in to the point that I visited their office in DC and new york . But other than that I havnt really networked with many firms and even for the firm I visited their office I didn't learn something that is like "hidden" on their webisite to say on my cover letter. Tips for this? Also, for my visit, I realized the lawyer that brought me in asked casually for the pass and so my name was never officially recorded with the office management to get a pass to enter the office. What if they checked their vistation log and see that I never was registered?

DOT

Re: How do you show interest on a cover letter? What if you have no contacts at a firm?

Post by DOT » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:37 pm

economist123 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:12 am
What if they checked their vistation log and see that I never was registered?
I can't imagine they would ever check. If they did check, I can't imagine they would care. If they did care, I can't imagine you would know.

I don't think this part is worth worrying about

lolwat

Re: How do you show interest on a cover letter? What if you have no contacts at a firm?

Post by lolwat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:58 pm

I'd mention visiting their offices. Doing that and talking to attorneys there already shows more initiative and interest than probably 70% of their applicant pool. May or may not give you a leg up, but can't hurt. As for those you have no contacts with, I'd guess it's more talking about what about their firm you're interested in. Do they do trial work? Particular type of clients they service? Etc.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:15 pm

are you talking about massmailing a SA cover letter or a cover letter as a lateral?