hourly pay at mid size firm in secondary market

hourly pay at mid size firm in secondary market

Post by guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:20 pm

Just got an offer for my 2L summer from a firm in a practice area I actually want. Im not sure what to think of the pay: 25 dollars an hour. I am almost definately taking it because its already march but should i be worried about possibe pay if they choose to make me an offer at the end of summer?

jeff chiles

Re: hourly pay at mid size firm in secondary market

Post by jeff chiles » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:26 pm

That does not sound like an unreasonably low hourly rate for a summer/school year law clerk at a mid sized firm in a secondary market. I would almost certainly expect that the rate they pay associates is higher than 25/hr, I worked at a couple small firms and there was no connection between the hourly rate I got paid as a law clerk and what they actually paid asssociates.

The bigger question is how likely this is to turn into a permanent offer, but that can be hard to figure out and as you said it’s march so you may as well take the job.

Post by guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:38 pm

certainly not 100% but the partners did say if we meshed well it was typical for there to be an offer at the end of the summer. I know the person who did my screener eas hired this way. Either way im taking it and if it turns into a good offer great, if not ill keep looking 3l and godforbid after the bar is my plan. Is that reasonable?

Post by guest » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 pm

also spent a good amount of time in the interview going over how theyd give me time off for bar prep if i chose to continue working part time during 3L

Dusty 2020

Post by Dusty 2020 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Are they paying for your Barbri?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm

guest wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:38 pm
certainly not 100% but the partners did say if we meshed well it was typical for there to be an offer at the end of the summer. I know the person who did my screener eas hired this way. Either way im taking it and if it turns into a good offer great, if not ill keep looking 3l and godforbid after the bar is my plan. Is that reasonable?
I mean, you just described exactly how things would go for anyone in your shoes, so... Yeah?