1L/Diversity SA Thread 2019

ThatOneAfrican

Re: 1L/Diversity SA Thread 2019

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm

Those of you that don't have grades yet, what are you doing for applications that require grades to submit? Just not applying for those or uploading your course list instead or something?

Meelo

Post by Meelo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Spiker29 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm
usaorbust wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 pm
When y'all say interviews, do you mean screeners or call backs?
Mofo, Morgan Lewis, and Shearman are doing screeners. White & Case and Simpson are doing callbacks.
Are W&C and Simpson no longer doing screeners then? Not sure how this works if people are already doing callbacks :/

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:20 pm
Those of you that don't have grades yet, what are you doing for applications that require grades to submit? Just not applying for those or uploading your course list instead or something?
I was told by my career service counselor to write a brief statement to the recruiting contact saying that you will provide your grades as soon as you receive them. Some firms seem to be willing to interview you before you have all of your grades, but I'm not sure if offers are extended pre-grades outside of students who attend Y. Also this statement should have the same letterhead as your resume, cover letter, etc.

This is making me wonder how callbacks work when some students won't receive their grades until their second semester begins. If you're out of state, get your grades, and receive a callback interview request, do you just skip a day (or potentially 2) of law school to go to the interview?

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Meelo wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:35 pm
Spiker29 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 pm
usaorbust wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 pm
When y'all say interviews, do you mean screeners or call backs?
Mofo, Morgan Lewis, and Shearman are doing screeners. White & Case and Simpson are doing callbacks.
Are W&C and Simpson no longer doing screeners then? Not sure how this works if people are already doing callbacks :/
It may have just been the firms I received interview requests from, but they went straight to callback (no screener). I was confused by this as well. Not totally sure why they skip the screening step, but it seems to be an overall positive for applicants.

Edit: That is to say I wouldn't be discouraged to apply because people have callback interviews. I don't think that means you're out of the running for firms at all. It's probably more the product of some students applying earlier than others. It wouldn't surprise me if most (if not all) of the firms wait for grades before making final decisions (based on the interview, grades, fit, etc.)

Mikey
LSL's Favorite Kitten

Post by Mikey » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm

intro-gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:40 pm
This is making me wonder how callbacks work when some students won't receive their grades until their second semester begins. If you're out of state, get your grades, and receive a callback interview request, do you just skip a day (or potentially 2) of law school to go to the interview?
I was worried about this exact same thing. I asked one of my mentors and she said that if you get a CB while out of state then yeah you’ll have to skip out on some classes but the school will most likely work with you. I know a 2L who skipped classes at the beginning of the semester to do CB’s and just simply emailed professors and it was fine.

Check with your career services and make sure tho

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:03 pm

Mikey wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:47 pm
intro-gamer wrote:
I was worried about this exact same thing. I asked one of my mentors and she said that if you get a CB while out of state then yeah you’ll have to skip out on some classes but the school will most likely work with you. I know a 2L who skipped classes at the beginning of the semester to do CB’s and just simply emailed professors and it was fine.

Check with your career services and make sure tho
Yeah that makes sense. Missing a day or two for a callback interview for a firm that wants to interview you after they've seen your grades seems to be worth it :lol:

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:06 pm

intro-gamer wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
I was told by my career service counselor to write a brief statement to the recruiting contact saying that you will provide your grades as soon as you receive them. Some firms seem to be willing to interview you before you have all of your grades, but I'm not sure if offers are extended pre-grades outside of students who attend Y. Also this statement should have the same letterhead as your resume, cover letter, etc.

No no I mean those online applications that literally cannot be submitted without providing a law transcript. Like this:Image

intro-gamer

Post by intro-gamer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:06 pm
intro-gamer wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:

No no I mean those online applications that literally cannot be submitted without providing a law transcript. Like this:Image
Yeah, I'm assuming in those online applications you can't submit your application without attaching some document in the "law school transcript section." I'm telling you that it's ok to write in a Microsoft Word doc (and ultimately save and upload in PDF format) a brief statement that says something like:

"Ms. Jane Doe
Attorney Recruiting Contact
XYZ Lawfirm LLP
Candylane Place

I will submit my fall semester grades to complete my application as soon as I receive all of them.

Aspiring Law School Student
Blah blah blah..."

I've been told this is ok to submit in the law school transcript section, as firms are aware that many law students won't have their law school grades at this point of the application cycle.

You should ultimately double check with your career service office. A quick email from them should resolve your concern.

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:16 pm

intro-gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
intro-gamer wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:

Yeah, I'm assuming in those online applications you can't submit your application without attaching some document in the "law school transcript section". I'm telling you that it's ok to write in a Microsoft Word doc (and ultimately save and upload in PDF format) a brief statement that says something like:

"Ms. Jane Doe
XYZ Lawfirm LLP
Candylane Place

I will submit my fall semester grades to complete my application as soon as I receive all of them.

Blah blah blah..."

I've been told this is ok to submit in the law school transcript section, as firms are aware that many law students won't have their law school grades at this point of the application cycle.
Ooh I see, that makes sense. Thanks!

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:10 pm

intro-gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:13 pm
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
intro-gamer wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:

Yeah, I'm assuming in those online applications you can't submit your application without attaching some document in the "law school transcript section." I'm telling you that it's ok to write in a Microsoft Word doc (and ultimately save and upload in PDF format) a brief statement that says something like:

"Ms. Jane Doe
XYZ Lawfirm LLP
Candylane Place

Blah blah blah..."

You should ultimately double check with your career service office. A quick email from them should resolve your concern.
I think it's preferable to just submit an unofficial transcript without grades. That's what I did as a 1L (and what I was told to do by mentors, older students, etc.).

And yes, you skip class for CBs. It's nbd. Profs are usually fine with it, and missing a couple classes will have zero effect on your grades.

Meelo

Post by Meelo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:39 am

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
intro-gamer wrote:
ThatOneAfrican wrote:

So what I did actually was take a screenshot of the blank grades page - it had all my classes for the fall semester but there weren't any date. And then in the notes box I wrote that I didn't have them available yet but I would provide them as soon as possible. Also made sure to include that in my cover letter. I forgot wherreeee I saw that - and I think it was on some LSL page - but seemed like a good idea so I did that.

1L anon

Post by 1L anon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am

SF and SV callbacks going out

anon1234

Post by anon1234 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm

Any pre-grades offers for non HYS students?

anon 1L

Post by anon 1L » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 pm

Some DC movement as well. Screeners and callbacks.

Post by 1515 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm

As far as sending grades after you've applied, is there any benefit to sending them as they come in, or will that just annoy the firms and you should send them only when you have gotten all grades back?

law

Post by law » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm

1515 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:48 pm
As far as sending grades after you've applied, is there any benefit to sending them as they come in, or will that just annoy the firms and you should send them only when you have gotten all grades back?
Sending them once your transcript is complete seems to be the general sentiment

hotdog

Post by hotdog » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Just got my first ding, here they come

Miami 1L

Post by Miami 1L » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:04 am

At least one of the big miami firms is making offers

1Lhopeful

Post by 1Lhopeful » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Skadden screener

Anon9876

Post by Anon9876 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Any word from White & Case Miami?

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm

anon1234 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm
yes

Post by 1515 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:55 am

LawSSS2 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:56 pm
anon1234 wrote:
yes
how

sadbois

Post by sadbois » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm

LawSSS2 wrote:
anon1234 wrote:
yes
Congrats! And if you feel comfortable sharing—School range? Firm range? Diversity/IP/regular SA?

LawSSS2

Post by LawSSS2 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:14 pm

sadbois wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:52 pm
LawSSS2 wrote:
anon1234 wrote:
yes
Congrats! And if you feel comfortable sharing—School range? Firm range? Diversity/IP/regular SA?
Not me, sorry should have clarified

anon1L

Post by anon1L » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:03 pm

Hoping we see some more movement now that some grades are out