Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Will Administrative Pass grade penalty affect getting a job in the future?

ThatOneAfrican

Will Administrative Pass grade penalty affect getting a job in the future?

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am

(Not 100% sure this is the right place to post)

So it's likely I'm going to get an administrative pass for one of my classes as a penalty for not submitting a take home exam on time. It won't be factored into my gpa, but my transcript will have something like 'this student failed to stop writing at the appropriate time.'

How bad will this affect job hunting both for this summer and post-grad? Asking both specifically for biglaw and also for legal jobs in general. I'm currently a 1l and an international student.

jeff chiles

Re: Will Administrative Pass grade penalty affect getting a job in the future?

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 am

Honestly I can’t see it being a big deal if it doesnt negatively affect your GPA. A lot of it is going to depend on what is actually printed on your transcript and whether the employer actually requests transcripts.

Could potentially be a C&F issue but idk sounds like your school is not making a huge deal out of it.

Did they give you this pass grade instead of a letter grade for a 1L class? That’s almost to your benefit if your other grades are good and you would have done poorly on this exam.

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 pm

jeff chiles wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 am
Honestly I can’t see it being a big deal if it doesnt negatively affect your GPA. A lot of it is going to depend on what is actually printed on your transcript and whether the employer actually requests transcripts.

Could potentially be a C&F issue but idk sounds like your school is not making a huge deal out of it.

Did they give you this pass grade instead of a letter grade for a 1L class? That’s almost to your benefit if your other grades are good and you would have done poorly on this exam.
Thank goodness. This makes me feel a lot better.
And yeah the pass grade will be in place of an actual letter grade. I think I read in the school policies that a second offense would need to be reported to the bar, but this is my first (and definitely last) so it should be okay.

But just to be clear, on the chance that an employer does request for transcripts and my transcript explicitly states the reason for the administrative pass, it wouldn't be a red flag or something that'd count against me significantly?

jeff chiles

Post by jeff chiles » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:27 pm
jeff chiles wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:45 am

Thank goodness. This makes me feel a lot better.
And yeah the pass grade will be in place of an actual letter grade. I think I read in the school policies that a second offense would need to be reported to the bar, but this is my first (and definitely last) so it should be okay.

But just to be clear, on the chance that an employer does request for transcripts and my transcript explicitly states the reason for the administrative pass, it wouldn't be a red flag or something that'd count against me significantly?
I personally would not care or ask any questions about it, but I am not nor have I been in the past a biglaw interviewer. I could see some people caring but frankly I think a bad grade would lead to more problems than this weird mark. The benefit here is that you don’t always have to provide your transcript, but you will always have to include a resume which would include your GPA

Whether this is something to disclose to the bar will depend on the instructions in your bar application, not the school policy.

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:36 pm

Ooh okay. Maybe I'll google around to see if this is something I'd need to disclose.
Thank you very much for the info! This was incredibly helpful.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 pm

i'd probably ask about it, especially if we went to the same school, and definitely if it said explicitly: "this student failed to stop writing at the appropriate time.'"

it'd be a bad thing, and probably a dealbreaker if he/she couldn't explain it away satisfactorily.

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:52 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:09 pm
i'd probably ask about it, especially if we went to the same school, and definitely if it said explicitly: "this student failed to stop writing at the appropriate time.'"

it'd be a bad thing, and probably a dealbreaker if he/she couldn't explain it away satisfactorily.
I'm not entirely sure my explanation is good enough is the thing. I finished 10 mins after the deadline. It was a combination of losing track of time and not being able to find where to submit because the submission portal had closed immediately. Stupid mistakes basically.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm

ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:52 pm
pancakes3 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure my explanation is good enough is the thing. I finished 10 mins after the deadline. It was a combination of losing track of time and not being able to find where to submit because the submission portal had closed immediately. Stupid mistakes basically.
I think you're overweighting what a satisfactory explanation would be for an employer (dependent on interviewer). It's possible/likely that this note on your transcript will somewhat stand out, because candidly most transcripts from law schools look pretty similar outside a ton of coif grades or a bunch of below median grades. So if/when an interviewer takes note of your failure to complete the exam on time, you'll need to explain it. If it's an isolated incident, and you explain that you struggled with the submission portal after realizing you were up against/past the time requirement, you might have explained it away enough. There may be some interviewers who consider that submission deadline to be sacrosanct because filing or closing deadlines don't get violated. You won't get a job with that employer. But if it's an isolated incident and you give the explanation you've given here eloquently, I doubt that many would hold it against you for those reasons. The bar/C&F issue is another matter, but again, making it an isolated incident goes a long way to help prove no intent to deceive or subvert the grading process, even though you have an infraction here.

ThatOneAfrican

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:07 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm
ThatOneAfrican wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:52 pm
pancakes3 wrote:

I think you're overweighting what a satisfactory explanation would be for an employer (dependent on interviewer). It's possible/likely that this note on your transcript will somewhat stand out, because candidly most transcripts from law schools look pretty similar outside a ton of coif grades or a bunch of below median grades. So if/when an interviewer takes note of your failure to complete the exam on time, you'll need to explain it. If it's an isolated incident, and you explain that you struggled with the submission portal after realizing you were up against/past the time requirement, you might have explained it away enough. There may be some interviewers who consider that submission deadline to be sacrosanct because filing or closing deadlines don't get violated. You won't get a job with that employer. But if it's an isolated incident and you give the explanation you've given here eloquently, I doubt that many would hold it against you for those reasons. The bar/C&F issue is another matter, but again, making it an isolated incident goes a long way to help prove no intent to deceive or subvert the grading process, even though you have an infraction here.
I see, that makes sense. Thank you!