Schiff Hardin v. Reed Smith v. Katten Muchin (all Chi)

chifirms

Schiff Hardin v. Reed Smith v. Katten Muchin (all Chi)

Post by chifirms » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 pm

I am a rising 2L and have offers from Schiff Hardin, Reed Smith, and Katten Muchin for next summer in Chicago.

A little bit about me - I see myself in private practice for the foreseeable future with the exception of taking a break to clerk a few years into practicing. I'm strongly leaning litigation, but still open to trying transactional work. I have some paralegal experience, so I'd prefer a firm where I can get more substantive work early on. I have no debt, so compensation isn't the biggest factor for me. Other things that are important to me are transparency on the part of the firm's management, opportunities for sophisticated work, and prospects for partnership.

I had great experiences at all three firms during interviews, but it's still hard for me to differentiate at this point. I honestly think I would be a good cultural fit at all three. I would appreciate any insight into these firms. Thanks!

UVA2B

Re: Schiff Hardin v. Reed Smith v. Katten Muchin (all Chi)

Post by UVA2B » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:44 pm

If they're all equal in your mind in terms of fit, why not take Katten since they matched $190k where Schiff and Reed Smith didn't? I doubt (although I don't have any experience with these three firms, so this is entirely based on instinct and what I understand about the firms as an outsider) there will be serious differences in partnership prospects at any of the three and the opportunities for sophisticated work will be largely similar. If you like transparency from firm management, I guess you could say Reed Smith announcing publicly that they weren't going to raise associate salaries this summer shows better transparency?

In terms of quality of experience, Katten also probably has the strongest lit group in Chicago of the three, which I don't think should be discounted.

You probably can't go "wrong" in picking any of them, but you'll get paid more at Katten and you'll get equal or better experience there. Unless you've found seriously troubling stories about them that isn't in readily available sources, I would probably pick them.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:08 pm

Johannes wrote:
Any thoughts based on your knowledge of Chicago?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:18 pm

What kind of lit would you want to do?

I don’t know a ton about these firms, especially their lit groups.

I’d probably pick Katten just for the money and the fact that I’ve known multiple people to work there now and none have left in years (1 been there 6 years; 1 joined in 2015 as a mid level and still there; 1 been there 5 years). There aren’t many of these firms but it does actually seem like a work life balance firm where 2k hours is fine. To be clear though none of these people were in lit.

I also know Katten has an in house doc review team that’s pretty big (considering Chicago) so I doubt doc review would be any part of your job at all.

chifirms

Post by chifirms » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:34 am

I’m still open to what kind of lit, but I’d definitely like to try white collar in addition to just getting a feel for general commercial.

Good to know that there are multiple people who like Katten enough to stay a long time. I’m not looking to get out of BL after two years to go in-house like some of my classmates.

I’m going to do some second looks this week but this advice is definitely helpful. Thanks!

carsondalywashere

Post by carsondalywashere » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:09 pm

Katten, and it's not even close. Katten has a higly respected lit practice, is headquartered in Chicago, and pays more than the other two firms. Schiff Hardin is also having problems with partners leaving.

Desert Fox

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:49 pm

what the fuck is schiff hardon?