US Big Law -> Expat/Overseas Gig?

undecided2021

US Big Law -> Expat/Overseas Gig?

Post by undecided2021 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Curious if anyone has any knowledge about getting an overseas position with the same/a new firm. My dream would be to work for a few years in NYC/DC and then transfer to Shanghai, Tokyo, Frankfurt or London. Anyone know of anyone making such a transition and how it worked out?

Fwiw, I'm a 0L, going to either CLS or NYU.
Any (on topic) discussion welcome!
Last edited by undecided2021 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

HenryHankPalmer

Re: US Big Law -> Expat/Overseas Gig?

Post by HenryHankPalmer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:55 am

Anecdotally, I know a guy that expatriated to Paris after a few gigs in the Midwest and stints in Italy and Spain. He ended up coming back to the states later though.

SmokeytheBear

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:15 am

PM me

NourishAndStrengthen

Post by NourishAndStrengthen » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 am

Also intrigued by this. How common is it in general? How common is it as your first gig after law school?
Assume you have working proficiency in a language or two (I.e. could do doc review, meetings, etc. in said language)

SmokeytheBear

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 pm

From a transactional practice angle, aim to work for one of the big firms in NYC (think SullCrom, DPW, Milbank, CLeary, etc) in their capital markets or lev fin groups. I know people at various of these firms who have NYC as their home office, but then did a six month stint in London and then a longer stint in HK/Singapore

undecided2021

Post by undecided2021 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:37 am

HenryHankPalmer wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:55 am
Anecdotally, I know a guy that expatriated to Paris after a few gigs in the Midwest and stints in Italy and Spain. He ended up coming back to the states later though.
I see. That's quite a bit of movement. Was he European to start with or just a plain old American? Also, does he speak italian, spanish and french?
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:22 pm
From a transactional practice angle, aim to work for one of the big firms in NYC (think SullCrom, DPW, Milbank, CLeary, etc) in their capital markets or lev fin groups. I know people at various of these firms who have NYC as their home office, but then did a six month stint in London and then a longer stint in HK/Singapore
Thanks for naming some possible firms. How many years is one normally at the home office before getting the chance to go out of the country?

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am

Sounds like you want to wear a suit, STACK FAT STACKS OF FAT CASH $$$$$$$$, and live dat best ex-pat life.

I think you might want to go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate your motivations and what you want out of life. I'm not sure the current plan is going to get you where you want to go.

undecided2021

Post by undecided2021 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:09 am
Sounds like you want to wear a suit, STACK FAT STACKS OF FAT CASH $$$$$$$$, and live dat best ex-pat life.

I think you might want to go back to the drawing board and re-evaluate your motivations and what you want out of life. I'm not sure the current plan is going to get you where you want to go.
... Dude, stop trolling. I haven't talked about my motivations. The 'plan' is as vague as 'working on the east coast and then moving'. In any case, I can appreciate the "follow your heart not the money" sentiment.

So, anything else on-topic to contribute?

BigZuck

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 pm

I was 100% serious. Your tell was the list of dream places. Maybe (just maybe) some of us here are speaking from experience and taking some time out of our day to try and help people avoid making the same mistakes we have seen or lived.

Whatever though, enjoy Columbia.

undecided2021

Post by undecided2021 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:42 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:59 pm
I was 100% serious. Your tell was the list of dream places. Maybe (just maybe) some of us here are speaking from experience and taking some time out of our day to try and help people avoid making the same mistakes we have seen or lived.

Whatever though, enjoy Columbia.
If you were being serious, I apologize. The "Sounds like you want to wear a suit, STACK FAT STACKS OF FAT CASH $$$$$$$$, and live dat best ex-pat life. " aroused a bit of skepticism.

I have legitimate connections to these places, though no solid connections with law firms, hence this post.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 pm

K&S is starting a new associate program where an associate can spend some time (read: months) in an overseas office.

OldWombat

Post by OldWombat » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 pm

If this is what you want then absolutely go for it. I based my career decisions on a desire to live abroad (not joking), and I don't regret it one bit. It's quite possible to start your career in an international office too. You're going to be at the right type of school to make this happen, provided that you focus your efforts and of course get a little luck. Feel free to PM me if you want.

gymnastsplits

Post by gymnastsplits » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:13 pm

Last edited by gymnastsplits on Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expatwannabe

Post by expatwannabe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:30 am

Any big law associates on this board that have made a lateral move over internationally? I'm a first year working in lev fin in NYC and thinking about lateraling to another firm --- but no language skills. Assume not a problem if Australia or London (I keep seeing recruiter emails for the former at least). My concern is that the hours will be just as bad as NYC and living/working in Europe won't really be enjoyable in that case -- but I'd still like to learn more given the higher salary (from high COL adjustments).

LorneMalvo

Post by LorneMalvo » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:42 pm

I know Cravath lets associates do a rotation (I think over a year?) in London.

But definitely be prepared to do Cap Markets work if you’re going to work abroad. That’s primarily what international offices need US lawyers for. Outside of London (plenty of London offices and magic circle firms go to OCI at T14 schools), it’s tougher to work internationally with the exception of perhaps HK if you have the requisite language skills.