Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post Reply
cleo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by cleo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:03 pm

I’ve done a bit of mass mailing, and the responses so far have been along the lines of “thanks for your interest in our firm. We’re having a reception on X date. We hope to meet you there.” Are these receptions worth going to? It kind of seems like it looks like I’m not really interested if I don’t go, but going doesn’t really help much in terms of actually getting a job interview. Thoughts?

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm

They are worth while if, for example, you are targeting LA and are a competitive associate for all of the top firms and you want to try and suss out the differences between GDC, LW, Sidley, and OMM (just for example). It will give you a sense of what the people are like, etc.

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by UVA2B » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm

Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:09 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Yes, I should have said resounding as well. I didn't mean to qualify, but meant to gave a reason for why it is helpful.

There have been situations where during callbacks I interview someone who I met and remembered from the reception. It's a big leg up during the interview process.

cleo
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:00 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by cleo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:18 pm

Ok thanks! I do think I’m a competitive candidate for top firms (3.87 at a T20 that doesn’t rank). I’m working in my target market this summer, so I’m trying to network/mass mail as much as possible while I’m in the area before OCI rolls around.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:19 pm

great. good luck.

stoopkid13
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by stoopkid13 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:46 pm

In addition, they are good practice for OCI because you'll basically talk about the same stuff

band 1 or bust

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by band 1 or bust » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Yes, my firm gives out a number of pre-OCI callbacks immediately after these events. Attorneys get a list of everyone who attended and are asked to give their impressions. Even if you don't get a callback from a firm reception, it's really helpful to mention that you attended one during OCI and spoke with X person to show interest.

Something to be mindful of is cracking jokes about how many firm receptions you've attended in the past few weeks. It's not intuitive and certainly wasn't a misstep I was aware of as a law student, but I've seen attorneys get annoyed by this behavior because they think it reflects disinterest, immaturity, and/or entitlement. They'll more often than not mention this to recruiting, since we're asked about perceived interest in the firm.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 am

band 1 or bust wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 pm
Yes, my firm gives out a number of pre-OCI callbacks immediately after these events. Attorneys get a list of everyone who attended and are asked to give their impressions. Even if you don't get a callback from a firm reception, it's really helpful to mention that you attended one during OCI and spoke with X person to show interest.

Something to be mindful of is cracking jokes about how many firm receptions you've attended in the past few weeks. It's not intuitive and certainly wasn't a misstep I was aware of as a law student, but I've seen attorneys get annoyed by this behavior because they think it reflects disinterest, immaturity, and/or entitlement. They'll more often than not mention this to recruiting, since we're asked about perceived interest in the firm.
Really?

Kodokushiest
Posts: 3072
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by Kodokushiest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Are other people in agreement with this part?

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Kodokushiest wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Are other people in agreement with this part?
I should probably clarify that I didn’t mean to have them directly on your person, but having them in a folio or backpack or briefcase that you’ve brought and stashed in their coat closet or however they handle things like that is good. The important thing is if someone decides to ask for your materials, you’ll have them available and will look prepared.

It’s probably not a necessity, but I think it’s a bad look for someone to ask for your resume because you’ve impressed them enough to ask for it and to respond that you don’t have anything with you.

User avatar
stego
Posts: 4876
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by stego » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm

All these firm receptions are in cities I’m not in and can’t easily get to so hopefully it’s the kind of thing that could help you but doesn’t hurt you if you don’t go to any

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm

Kodokushiest wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Are other people in agreement with this part?
Maybe this is an east coast thing . The receptions I went to in LA and SF while in law school and at the receptions my firm has had, if you brought materials or tried to pass them on it would have looked weird and gauche.

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm
Kodokushiest wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Are other people in agreement with this part?
Maybe this is an east coast thing . The receptions I went to in LA and SF while in law school and at the receptions my firm has had, if you brought materials or tried to pass them on it would have looked weird and gauche.
Yeah, you don’t pass them to anyone without being explicitly asked for them, but I had it happen only once, so that’s why I qualified that it isn’t a necessity and you shouldn’t have them immediately on you.

riot
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by riot » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:36 pm
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:17 pm
Kodokushiest wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:54 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:06 pm
Resoundingly yes, it’s worth it. Bring your materials, make decent conversation with attorneys, and at minimum you’ll be able to talk about the people you spoke to (remember their names and practice groups btw) when OCI rolls around. If you’re otherwise qualified, it will only help in the long run.
Are other people in agreement with this part?
Maybe this is an east coast thing . The receptions I went to in LA and SF while in law school and at the receptions my firm has had, if you brought materials or tried to pass them on it would have looked weird and gauche.
Yeah, you don’t pass them to anyone without being explicitly asked for them, but I had it happen only once, so that’s why I qualified that it isn’t a necessity and you shouldn’t have them immediately on you.
I feel like it’s easier to have them ready to go in the drafts folder of your email. No awkward paper but still prepared and then the person is less likely to lose them.

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm

Yeah, that’d work too. I’m willing to admit there are other ways to handle that situation that may be better than how I handled it.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 1060
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:26 am

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:52 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:48 pm
Yeah, that’d work too. I’m willing to admit there are other ways to handle that situation that may be better than how I handled it.
I’m sure you did fine. We all have different preferences and priorities for these things. Yours read as very professional. And I am likely way too casual and informal for what I do.

BigZuck
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm

I thought about someone bringing a backpack to one of these things and was like hell naw but then I thought about someone bringing a briefcase and that was even worse so I ultimately landed on definitely do not bring any materials. By all means send someone your resume afterwards if need be.

User avatar
Pleasy E
Moderator
Posts: 4040
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by Pleasy E » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:43 pm
I thought about someone bringing a backpack to one of these things and was like hell naw but then I thought about someone bringing a briefcase and that was even worse so I ultimately landed on definitely do not bring any materials. By all means send someone your resume afterwards if need be.
Yeah, if you are asked for a resume, you can ask for their card and tell them you will email it to them. Ready to go in drafts folder works too, but they’re unlikely to look at it during the reception so later that night/the next day is fine.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:57 pm

stego wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm
All these firm receptions are in cities I’m not in and can’t easily get to so hopefully it’s the kind of thing that could help you but doesn’t hurt you if you don’t go to any
They help maybe a tad if you happen to click with someone, but not going because you're working in BFE won't hurt you.

As for bringing things, in my city it definitely would look weird if you had a briefcase with you or something and there is a roughly 0% chance someone will ask for a hard copy of application materials at them. I can say that having my business card on me has been helpful, though. I've been asked for mine twice so that the person could remember my name when going through applications.

riot
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by riot » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:57 pm
stego wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm
All these firm receptions are in cities I’m not in and can’t easily get to so hopefully it’s the kind of thing that could help you but doesn’t hurt you if you don’t go to any
They help maybe a tad if you happen to click with someone, but not going because you're working in BFE won't hurt you.

As for bringing things, in my city it definitely would look weird if you had a briefcase with you or something and there is a roughly 0% chance someone will ask for a hard copy of application materials at them. I can say that having my business card on me has been helpful, though. I've been asked for mine twice so that the person could remember my name when going through applications.
I’m lolling all over again at idea of law student business cards. A few people I knew had them and I thought they were ridiculous

BigZuck
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by BigZuck » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 pm

Yeah the starting out with "Definitely don't bring a briefcase" and then transitioning to "But def bring your business cards" made me think maybe it was a joke for a second but sadly no.

Law students: Go if you can, talk to people, learn something about the firm, enjoy some free food and drink, try to have fun if possible. Don't over think it, don't stress out about it, don't stress out if you can't go, and try not to let your aspergers show. As this thread has demonstrated, it's hard for us to keep that contained. But try for the duration of the event (and, ideally, until you have a job).

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 4133
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:29 pm

I’m just declaring an L here and saying I was wrong to recommend bringing hard copy resumes to a reception. Under pretty finite circumstances not worth going into here, it worked out for me, but I can’t stress enough that I wasn’t offering anything to attorneys and wasn’t carrying my bag/briefcase/etc. in the actual reception, and only offered a hard copy resume when they asked for my resume.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 264
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:38 pm

Re: Are firm receptions worthwhile?

Post by chargers21 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:50 am

riot wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 pm
chargers21 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:57 pm
stego wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:12 pm
All these firm receptions are in cities I’m not in and can’t easily get to so hopefully it’s the kind of thing that could help you but doesn’t hurt you if you don’t go to any
They help maybe a tad if you happen to click with someone, but not going because you're working in BFE won't hurt you.

As for bringing things, in my city it definitely would look weird if you had a briefcase with you or something and there is a roughly 0% chance someone will ask for a hard copy of application materials at them. I can say that having my business card on me has been helpful, though. I've been asked for mine twice so that the person could remember my name when going through applications.
I’m lolling all over again at idea of law student business cards. A few people I knew had them and I thought they were ridiculous
IN MY DEFENSE, I also thought it was slightly ridiculous that my school gave them to us for free. But then I happened to have one in my jacket pocket when I was asked for one, and now I always keep one in my suit jacket.

But yeah, the events are for free food and beer and getting to acclimate to the inside of a biglaw office. Having never had an office job, that last part has been key to making me think I'll be more relaxed when the real deal interviews come

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests