Plaintiffs firms and lit boutiques

biganonenergy

Plaintiffs firms and lit boutiques

Post by biganonenergy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm

3L at mid-T14. Slightly above median/moot court/no LR. Clerking in a competitive district (not SDNY/DDC) for 2021-22. Ultimate goal is consumer protection litigation or financial regulation. CFPB/FTC/SEC would all be nice but I know these jobs are super competitive.

I would like to see what my chances are at a national plaintiff-side firm (Cohen Milstein etc.) or maybe a litigation boutique who does plaintiff's work? Also going to apply to state AG consumer protection divisions. I did both summers at 2 different traditional big law firms and hated it, so big law is off the table.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Re: Plaintiffs firms and lit boutiques

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm

As a very very very general rule, that sort of firm is less enthusiastic about paying people for their training years than biglaw firms are. There’s also a lot less uniformity in how those places operate, so the answer might be very dependent on what market you want to go to and just how much prestige matters to you. Clerking helps, getting a relevant gov gig and doing it would really help, but it’s tough to say more than that.

My recommendation would be that it couldn’t hurt to apply to biglaw gigs (and appellate clerkships) as well during your clerkship. Ideally you get a better gig and say no. But being a big law lit associate really isn’t that bad all things considered, and it will basically guarantee you the ability to make the jump eventually, even if it takes two years or so. You should also check out the bios/linkedin profiles of associates at firms you want to target. Best way to get a sense of where the firms are targeting.

biganonenergy

Post by biganonenergy » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:09 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm
As a very very very general rule, that sort of firm is less enthusiastic about paying people for their training years than big law firms are. There’s also a lot less uniformity in how those places operate, so the answer might be very dependent on what market you want to go to and just how much prestige matters to you. Clerking helps, getting a relevant gov gig and doing it would really help, but it’s tough to say more than that.

My recommendation would be that it couldn’t hurt to apply to big law gigs (and appellate clerkships) as well during your clerkship. Ideally you get a better gig and say no. But being a big law lit associate really isn’t that bad all things considered, and it will basically guarantee you the ability to make the jump eventually, even if it takes two years or so.
OP here. I guess I'm a little scared that doing defense-side work for banks etc. for an extended period of time might close some doors to the pro-consumer firms/organziations/govt positions that I'm looking into.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:46 pm

biganonenergy wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:09 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm
As a very very very general rule, that sort of firm is less enthusiastic about paying people for their training years than big law firms are. There’s also a lot less uniformity in how those places operate, so the answer might be very dependent on what market you want to go to and just how much prestige matters to you. Clerking helps, getting a relevant gov gig and doing it would really help, but it’s tough to say more than that.

My recommendation would be that it couldn’t hurt to apply to big law gigs (and appellate clerkships) as well during your clerkship. Ideally you get a better gig and say no. But being a big law lit associate really isn’t that bad all things considered, and it will basically guarantee you the ability to make the jump eventually, even if it takes two years or so.
OP here. I guess I'm a little scared that doing defense-side work for banks etc. for an extended period of time might close some doors to the pro-consumer firms/organziations/govt positions that I'm looking into.
Like I said, look at associate bios but all the p side firms I'm familiar with hire a lot of people from defense side firms. e.g. the first associate listed from the firm you named:

https://www.cohenmilstein.com/professio ... -bateman-0
Before joining Cohen Milstein, Mr. Bateman was a law clerk for the Honorable Naomi Reice Buchwald, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. Before that, he was a litigation attorney at a distinguished global law firm, where he worked with clients in the financial services and energy sectors.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:58 pm

Plaintiffs' side firms frequently hire from big law (and hire people who represented large corporations). I wouldn't worry about it too much! And it shouldn't preclude you from CFPB/FTC/SEC either. I would say to apply very broadly and keep big law on the table as a back-up plan if you strike out elsewhere.

Story

Post by Story » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:54 am

I would apply broadly. Don’t limit yourself to just these lit boutiques.