What do you bill for?

Billable

What do you bill for?

Post by Billable » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Until recently I was a solo working on a fixed-fee basis.
I joined a firm, and, ugh, billables are awful. And I’m falling behind. So I’d like to know what kind of things I can bill for, beyond just doing the work.

I know that “thinking” should definitely be billed to the client. But what about staring at the wall because I need a few minutes before I can deal with this $%¥@ file?

What about taking 2 minutes to get more water?

What other things do y’all bill for?

(Not asking what you put in the description, it’s more of a moral thing, what time wasters do you feel is reasonable to add, and what’s just wrong?)

pancakes3

Re: What do you bill for?

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:52 pm

consciously billing time spent to get water is immoral. forgetting to discount the 2 mins it took to get water when you're forensically reconstructing time (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1180) is not immoral.

staring at the wall is, imo, billable.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:03 pm

Some people even carry case notes with them to read on the way to the water cooler.

Billable

Post by Billable » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:34 am

What about double-billing? Eg being on a conference call for one client while typing up a matter for another?

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am

Billable wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:34 am
What about double-billing? Eg being on a conference call for one client while typing up a matter for another?
Double billing is a big no-no and will get you and the firm in a shitload of trouble if you’re ever caught. Don’t do it.

Billable

Post by Billable » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am
Billable wrote:
Double billing is a big no-no and will get you and the firm in a shitload of trouble if you’re ever caught. Don’t do it.
Thanks. I didn’t think so, but hey, if you can bill while taking a sh.t...

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:25 pm

Billable wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:55 pm
heythatslife wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:35 am
Billable wrote:
Thanks. I didn’t think so, but hey, if you can bill while taking a sh.t...
Billing while taking a shit isn't double billing. Double billing essentially means getting paid for two hours of work when you've essentially only done one. You're creating time that doesn't exist. The classic example is if you're billing for travel time on an airplane while simultaneously billing for the work you're doing (perhaps to another client rather than the same). You don't get to have 10 hours for five hours of work. You just get five - pick which five they're gonna be.

Billable

Post by Billable » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:27 am

Thanks y’all. I think I’m getting the hang of it.
On a busy day, (with no lunch or networking or whatever) it seems I get around 6 1/2 hours or so in an 8 hour day.
From what I’ve seen from others, that should be about right, yes?

FYI my annual is 1600. After accounting for vacations and federal holidays, I’ve worked out that I need 6.8 hours per weekday on average
(And yes, I’ve had days where I couldn’t get 4 hours in, and days where I put in a lot more)