Advice on what to include in massmail followup?

lionboy1

Advice on what to include in massmail followup?

Post by lionboy1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:32 am

I was thinking of following up as a last bid attempt to secure a 2L SA. I had two questions

For firms that only list like the director of recuriting as a contact do you email someone that high up?

On the actual email, what do you include, do you just say I am still interested in X (do you still give reasons?), do you re-attach your resume (no actual substantive changes but I made some formatting tweeks that's better)?

Slytherpuff

Re: Advice on what to include in massmail followup?

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 pm

I think you'd be fine reaching out to the recruiting director if that's the only contact they list. I'd probably do resume and transcript again to be safe - is there anything substantive at all you can add to your resume though? If yes, you can mention that it's an updated resume.

I think you can say something like:

Dear X,

I wanted to follow up regarding my earlier application. I am still very interested in (Firm Name) (and can also insert reasons if you'd like). I am attaching my resume and transcript again for your convenience. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Quick caveat that I didn't obtain my SA position through mass mailing back in the day, so people who did get their job through mass mailing may have more on-point advice.

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:41 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:16 pm
I think you'd be fine reaching out to the recruiting director if that's the only contact they list. I'd probably do resume and transcript again to be safe - is there anything substantive at all you can add to your resume though? If yes, you can mention that it's an updated resume.

I think you can say something like:

Dear X,

I wanted to follow up regarding my earlier application. I am still very interested in (Firm Name) (and can also insert reasons if you'd like). I am attaching my resume and transcript again for your convenience. Thank you, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Quick caveat that I didn't obtain my SA position through mass mailing back in the day, so people who did get their job through mass mailing may have more on-point advice.
Thanks would yu also include a cover letter or even writing sample if originally requested by the firm? I have no content changes on my cover letter either but it is worded better now

I think I need to get over my fears with emailing the directors, managers of recuriting :O

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:13 pm

I think that's fine, I'd just reattach the materials that the firm requested in the first place (cover letter, writing sample, etc.). And seriously, emailing recruiting directors is not a big deal! Make sure you don't have any typos in your emails to them, but they're just people - and not people that you'll be reporting to if you get hired.

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:23 pm

Slytherpuff wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:13 pm
I think that's fine, I'd just reattach the materials that the firm requested in the first place (cover letter, writing sample, etc.). And seriously, emailing recruiting directors is not a big deal! Make sure you don't have any typos in your emails to them, but they're just people - and not people that you'll be reporting to if you get hired.
Thanks, do you think it would be weird if I sent a new cover letter? Since the cover letter is dated, they can isntantly tell if I rewrote it with a new date or sent the original submitted one with a much odler date. Is it odd in general for you as a lawyer to see a student just giving new materials?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:38 pm

not weird. don't overthink it.

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:57 pm

If a firm has little chance of taking you as a "generalist", do you all think it makes sense in a followup cover letter to shift into showing your demonstrated interest in an area of law they lead in My rationale is that this may help me stand out in this late stage of the game and if anything I could already be rejected so might as well as gamble it. The worst that can happen is this reject me because the department does not want more summer associate or new associates but if they are looking for a new associate I may have have a real good shot?

In truth my main reason for applying to them as my top choices ( i didnt tell them you are my top choice) was because they lead in this area but I heard you sound desperate if you try to say top choice even if they are your top choice

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:19 am

Yeah, no reason to overthink this. You can either send your previous cover letter, or you can update it and be more specific as to your interests. I'd probably say the latter is better.

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:58 am

Final question, I promise (i hope) and I am trying hard to not overthink this but my anxiety is getting the better of me but if grades are not your strongest suit, should you still reattach it in the email like would it be weird if I just said "I have attached below an updated resume and cover letter for your convinience" when originally they wanted a transcript and writing sample (I did send it to them previously so it's not like I am escaping it)

[this emerged when I was typing out my email and I realzied the transcript]

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:19 am

If they're explicitly asking for a transcript and writing sample, then I unfortunately do think you should attach it again here. Firms that are still searching for people to fill their last SA class spots might be willing to overlook mediocre grades anyway (or at least hopefully). But also happy to hear other opinions on this, especially from people on here who got SA jobs with crappy grades!

Also, I might have your Career Services Office (or even a friend) look over your resume and cover letter one more time to make sure there aren't any typos in there.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

your gpa should be on your resume anyway, so there's no real reason to withhold the transcript.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:32 am

My feeling is to send them whatever they ask for, otherwise your "new" application may seem incomplete and get trashed before it even goes anywhere.

FYI, I think it's been consistent so far but if somebody else has differing advice than me, take it instead. I never got a 2L summer associate position and my advice comes mostly from applying and interviewing during my clerkship and reviewing applications as an interviewer. Some of this early-stage procedural stuff may differ for 2L summer applications.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:14 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am
your gpa should be on your resume anyway, so there's no real reason to withhold the transcript.
Unless you're at a school that doesn't calculate GPAs and tells you not to self-calculate and put it on your resume (but I don't think lionboy is at NYU and I'm not sure if other schools have that policy).

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:56 pm

Yeah I don't go to NYU (I got WLed there)
Is there apreference to email the general recuriting contact if that is the email they provided on the firm's webpage or do you email the head of recuriting's personal work email address that is provided on the NALP form or through some Google searches? In other words, Should I follow the firm's webpage that gives a generic email like recruiting@firm.com or email the nalp one like "name@firm.com"

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:42 pm

You're fine either way, don't overthink it. I'd either use the firm's website one or the one listed on NALP (but not one you obtained through a Google search).

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:52 am

Slytherpuff wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:42 pm
You're fine either way, don't overthink it. I'd either use the firm's website one or the one listed on NALP (but not one you obtained through a Google search).
Yeah, agree with this.

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks all, my anxiety was getting the better of me. I sent them earlier, at last! :) I got one that bounced back from Milbank saying they do not monitor the general recuriting hotline contact they posted on their website and told me to apply online (which I did previously) and they said o the auto reply you will hear back if they want you. Does this mean I should not followup with Milbank? NALP provides a personal email to the recuriting contact but if they made themselves clear on an auto reply to their general hotline (that's on their website) you will hear back if they want you would it be bugging them for emailing them anyways

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

I wouldn't follow up with Milbank in that case.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Slytherpuff says everything I would say, but faster. :)

lionboy1

Post by lionboy1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 pm

lolwat wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:58 pm
Slytherpuff says everything I would say, but faster. :)
Thank you both of you :)
Yeah I ended up not emailing Milbank again