Affinity Groups on Resumes

overthinking anon

Affinity Groups on Resumes

Post by overthinking anon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:17 pm

2L here and admittedly engaged in too much tea leaf reading, but what are people's takes on including affinity group board positions on resumes for OCI, etc? I'm on the board of my school's lgbt group and have been getting conflicted advice between "obviously include a board position" (career services) and "employers won't want to hire you because they'll think you're a going to be loud and combative with the conservatives" (grapevine) so I'm just curious what people's thoughts are??

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Affinity Groups on Resumes

Post by ymmv » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Every law school resume I’ve seen listed affinity group board positions — including mine. Listing things like LGBT alliance is useful to my mind if only because you probably wouldn’t want to work somewhere that would ding you for that anyway.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:28 am

ymmv wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 pm
Every law school resume I’ve seen listed affinity group board positions — including mine. Listing things like LGBT alliance is useful to my mind if only because you probably wouldn’t want to work somewhere that would ding you for that anyway.
Agree. Also a lot of firms are actively on the lookout for diverse candidates anyway so I would say net positive.

Stanford4me

Post by Stanford4me » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 pm

+1 to all of the above.

I've listed my affinity group involvement since 1L year...9 years ago (soft cry)

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

My gut feeling is that LGBT stuff will be a huge net positive for you, and there is absolutely no reason not to include it. There are a few things that have practically no downside in an era where employers actively seek diverse candidates, and I think this is one of them. Plus, the few places that would ding you for it are the kinds of places you would never want to work at anyway.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm

List it. Unless you have other personal reasons for not being out, it's a net positive.

The people who won't hire you for it are people you should run away from screaming anyway.

Slytherpuff

Post by Slytherpuff » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Agree with everyone above - definitely list it, it'll weigh in your favor. Firms are really trying to recruit diverse classes right now. Even if you were just a member rather than on the board, I'd still include it if you had space.

eagles

Post by eagles » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:09 am

I think since firms all claim to be increasing diversity it's good to list it. Of course, you might just come across a hiring person that has some bias about it and that could hurt you but I think firms genuinely want to increase diversity; not least by the fact that it is reported to the NALP/Chambers etc