Simpson v. Debevoise for Corporate

Simpson v. Debevoise for Corporate

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi all,
Choosing between Simpson and Debevoise in NY. Would love to hear input from anyone that has experience with either.
I am interested in Corporate work, but not set on any specific area (M&A or Capital Markets). Love NYC. Enjoyed both callbacks. Can you share anything above hours, personalities, offices (shared/own)/location, lockstep v. modified compensation structure, bonuses etc???
I have read many older posts on this but would appreciate recent input.
tx!

64Fl

Re: Simpson v. Debevoise for Corporate

Post by 64Fl » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:04 am

From the corporate perspective (both M&A/CM), STB is considered a better firm by a decent margin. For associates, both firms are going to be lockstep years 1-8 and pay full bonus (or close to) for pretty much everyone, as top NY firms really pride themselves in that. Your hours are going to suck at both but they might be a bit better at Debevoise solely because they don't churn nearly the volume of PE that STB does. Pretty sure everyone in NY shares an office for the first year or two. Both firms are in midtown, so location is pretty immaterial. Partner compensation isn't even worth getting into the weeds over, as equity is 10+ years away, and you'll be a multimillionaire at either firm if you make partner.

abc

Post by abc » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am

I noticed younger partners at Simpson and track to partnership seemed to be 10 years. Is this a recent trend that may have something to do with a modified lockstep compensation?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:52 pm

abc wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:24 am
I noticed younger partners at Simpson and track to partnership seemed to be 10 years. Is this a recent trend that may have something to do with a modified lockstep compensation?
~10 years is within the normal range for biglaw nowadays as it's become harder to make (equity) partner. What "trend" exactly are you asking about?

BostonRob

Post by BostonRob » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:54 pm

It doesn't matter. If you're just gonna go off Vault or Chambers or whatever, which you'll probably do, probably Simpson. It doesn't matter though.

Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:47 pm

Simpson so you don’t have to constantly correct people who mispronounce the firm’s name

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:29 am

You will be paid the same regardless of which one you choose, so just go where you feel is a better “fit” and where you liked the people.