Unlocking 1L SAs

RubyRhad

Re: Unlocking 1L SAs

Post by RubyRhad » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 pm

I just want to push back a little on the narrative that you have to apply to Texas 1L SAs ON December 1st. I applied to TX 1L SAs on or after December 15 and have been very successful (5 callbacks scheduled).

Relevant info: all of my first semester grades are in the A range, I go to a T14, and I'm from Texas.

Note: Not all of the CBs are for diversity programs.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't apply on December 1 (it's obviously great advice) - I'm just saying that applications take a lot of time and effort and if you feel like that time and effort is better spent studying, then you should study because TX cares about grades too (most of my friends who are applying to TX 1L SAs and had interviews before grades were released were told that their offers were contingent on stellar grades or that they wouldn't hear back from the firm until after the firm had a chance to review their grades).

So yes, aim to apply on December 1, but don't be freaked if you don't and don't take away from valuable study time to ensure that you do.

necho2

Post by necho2 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Yeah I have friends with stellar grades who had TX 1L SAs and definitely only started getting offers basically once those grades went out, but aren't you diverse too? Even for a non-diversity 1L slot, straight As + diverse + T14 means you're gonna be pretty in-demand (also congrats, that's awesome!)

The Texas Law peeps at our school basically describe it as a "signal" that you care enough about being in TX to take the time to send them out on Day 1. Obviously grades are more important and the app time can be costly, but I'm not quite sure the takeaway here should be a straight weighting of "study v. TX apps", since at most we're talking 5-10 hours of additional work.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:37 pm

That's a great point Ruby, and congratulations on all of your success both in school and in the job hunt! You're clearly winning the law school game handily.

It's absolutely generic and somewhat hyperbolic to suggest someone must apply December 1st in TX in order to have any shot of a 1L SA there. And it's also possible TX is moving away from a heavily rolling interview schedule where they do screeners on a rolling basis, but wait on offering CBs for grades because it's no hidden secret that TX used to move faster than all of the other markets. Someone in your position is likely to have opportunities so long as you don't wait too long to apply (thinking like mid-January, not mid-December) because you're exactly the person TX firms want for their 1L SAs (T14+strong grades+TX ties and diversity hires are always an excellent plus, even when it's not for a diversity position).

Firms will make room for the stellar candidates they come across, and you definitely check that box. Applying December 1st and being early to the bowl for screener interviews is more for the median TX folks who need early and often contact with TX firms. You might apply December 1st and get a couple screeners that amount to nothing, and you might apply on December 20th and get multiple offers because you're a killer candidate. As I'm sure you can appreciate, I spoke in generalities that tried to capture the best advice (that is better covered by the TX 1L SA advice), even though it's not the only path to getting a 1L SA.

LorneMalvo

Post by LorneMalvo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Wanted to share a few thoughts based on my experience (and my classmates') applying to 1L SAs this year in the hope they might help.

- Grades matter for getting in the door, but I think your overall resume matters a lot more once you get a screener/actually noticed. I think firms recognize that you may only have 3 or 4 grades so once you're past a certain threshold, it doesn't really change the calculus that someone has a 3.6 vs a 3.8. In my experience, they matter most for New York because they don't care about ties and have many more applications to sift through.

- Ties are HUGE. I cannot emphasize this enough. Especially when you have ties to a secondary market and your law school is not in that market. I think firms like to use 1L SAs as an advertising mechanism - they want their 1Ls to pump up their firm and drive more 2Ls to bid on/take a look at them in schools where they may have historically been overlooked or not as highly sought after. Ex: You go to Cornell or Stanford or another far away T14, but were born and raised in Georgia and had a pretty good 1st semester. Even if you think you'd rather be in NYC/DC, your application will get much more play in Atlanta and firms will want to use you to increase their presence on campus. Emphasize your "sincere desire" to return to your home market after graduation. Even some of the giant NYC firms with 100+ SA classes will only take 1-2 1Ls, so the advantage of applying NYC in 2L OCI is kind of diminished and ties to home markets matter.

- Have questions prepared. This obviously goes for all interviews, but especially for 1Ls since you've only had a semester of law school, there is only so much interviewers can actually talk to you about. I definitely had a few interviews that went straight to "do you have any questions for me?" about 5-10 minutes into a 30 minute interview.

- Apply as early as possible, but don't be dissuaded if you missed the boat and are applying after Christmas or even mid-January. Different firms have different recruitment timelines, and they vary in whether or not they review rolling apps or wait for the deadline to begin screeners. Ex: One SV firm says they take applications until Feb 1, but I know for a fact that they hired 5 out of their 6 1Ls by at least early/mid-January. I also know people who applied to the Skadden 1L Scholars on literally the last day the application was open this year and still got interviews. Timelines also seem to be relatively consistent by market. Boston seems to be a bit slower than NYC/DC. IP recruiting is a whole different animal and I can't speak to specifics because I'm not IP but based on my classmates, they interview VERY QUICKLY so applying early for IP is definitely advised.

Best

Post by Best » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm

The NALP standard on December 1 no longer exists I'm pretty sure. Whether and/or how that affects timing, I have no comment.

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 pm

Best wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:43 pm
The NALP standard on December 1 no longer exists I'm pretty sure. Whether and/or how that affects timing, I have no comment.
Absolutely true, and it'll be an interesting shift for those firms/markets that snipe talent based on early hiring deadlines. I'll update the OP to reflect this change once I know what it might mean.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am
* At the time I wrote this, NALP was enforcing a December 1st application timeline. That is no longer in effect, but I will update when we better understand what that change means for those markets that act/move quickly.
Anyone have an update on this? A few 1Ls at my school have reached out to me, and so far I've just told them to check when applications open on each individual firm's website.

I've heard through the grapevine that some firms are opening applications on November 1st now but no idea how common that is

Brushedsuedeluvr

Post by Brushedsuedeluvr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:12 pm

waldorf wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm
UVA2B wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:01 am
* At the time I wrote this, NALP was enforcing a December 1st application timeline. That is no longer in effect, but I will update when we better understand what that change means for those markets that act/move quickly.
Anyone have an update on this? A few 1Ls at my school have reached out to me, and so far I've just told them to check when applications open on each individual firm's website.

I've heard through the grapevine that some firms are opening applications on November 1st now but no idea how common that is
Just saw this, so I’m a little late, but throwing it out there anyways-I put together a guide for my 1Ls, and checked a ton of websites/portals. Most hewed to the old Dec. 1 opening, but I did notice a significant number opening in November, and only some that had November apps explicitly told students to stick to their school’s guidelines.