The LSL Forums are undergoing server maintenance throughout the day Sunday, July 21, 2019. The site may be slow or unresponsive during this time. Thanks for your patience.

How do you get a legal assistant/ paralegal job prior to law school?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
Samster11201

How do you get a legal assistant/ paralegal job prior to law school?

Post by Samster11201 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 am

Hello.
I just graduated from NYU this May 2019 with a BA in sociology and politics, summa cum laude. I really want to get a legal assistant or paralegal position with a BIgLaw firm prior to law school. To that extent, I have tried applying directly online and reaching out to out-house recruiters (like Nadine Bocelli), but I have heard nothing back. I am new to networking, but I have also given that a shot as well. My job search started from April to now. Maybe I am not trying hard enough, but I really want to get some insight as to how I should approach landing a position. I don't know if it is true, but speaking to a couple of my peers, BigLaw firms recruit legal assistants in cycles, and interviews and job offers were during the time of the Fall 2019 semester. If that is true, then I am way behind the game and was not in the loop of everything.
**I'm talking specifically about NYC legal.
Tl;dr. I need help getting an entry-level job ideally at a BigLaw firm starting ASAP.

Samster11201

Re: How do you get a legal assistant/ paralegal job prior to law school?

Post by Samster11201 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:03 am

I think my biggest roadblock is landing the interviews. I know I applied late (applied in April when the recruiting cycle was, as I now found out, from January to March), so that might be the biggest reason.

However, I still don't know and am worried that if I applied online the next recruiting cycle, I still won't be able to land any interviews. If anyone has been through this process, did you just apply online and you heard back? Or did you have to do any networking?

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Re: How do you get a legal assistant/ paralegal job prior to law school?

Post by icechicken » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:19 am

Summa from NYU should pass the sniff test at most places but you're right that you missed the traditional hiring timing for 2019. I'm not sure taking another swing next year would work so well - they like hiring fresh grads for a number of reasons (e.g., one can pay them less).

At this point you need to keep mass-applying and hope somebody needs warm bodies. If you have any network at all (ideal would be to get a word in with a partner at a firm) then explore that to the deepest extent as well.

Meanwhile, you should find some other job in the city. You don't want a big resume gap no matter what, and, from a law-school perspective, it really doesn't matter what you do the next couple of years. Being a paralegal isn't radically different from most entry-level office jobs.