Europe?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
adjunct_philosopher

Europe?

Post by adjunct_philosopher » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 pm

I've been working in western Europe for the past few years. I've got an ok job, but ultimately it won't go anywhere, and I couldn't find anything else decent. So I applied to law school, and am now on my way to HYS.

Now on to my question: I would love to live in Europe permanently. Is this feasible with an American JD? I speak French and Spanish fluently. Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I'm a US-citizen without an EU passport.

cavalier1138

Re: Europe?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:57 pm

Live in Europe permanently doing what?

You didn't mention practicing law once in your post, and that leads me to believe you're going to have a bad time.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Does London count? If so, and if you don't mind doing corporate work, getting into London by way of a US biglaw firm is fairly doable out of HYS and probably the easiest path to Europe.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:29 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Does London count? If so, and if you don't mind doing corporate work, getting into London by way of a US biglaw firm is fairly doable out of HYS and probably the easiest path to Europe.
Second this, although Brexit (or even just the uncertainty caused by the possibility of Brexit) could throw a spanner in the works.

adjunct_philosopher

Post by adjunct_philosopher » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:17 pm

heythatslife wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Are there any international arbitration jobs there? Is this field even remotely accessible?

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Accessible? Yes. The problem is "Probable" and whether you'd be ok with the job opportunities that aren't in Europe

adjunct_philosopher

Post by adjunct_philosopher » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am

pancakes3 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 pm
Accessible? Yes. The problem is "Probable" and whether you'd be ok with the job opportunities that aren't in Europe
Aren't London/Paris the main centers of arbitration?

I guess I'll start figuring this out in August. You all are good sources of info though. Thanks.

icechicken
Lost in the sauce

Post by icechicken » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:39 pm

adjunct_philosopher wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:59 am
Aren't London/Paris the main centers of arbitration?
NYC and DC are the main centers if you have an American law degree. Your international background/languages and HYS pedigree will improve your odds of getting to a satellite office across the pond, but if you go to an American law school you should at least be okay with the possibility of getting stuck in a major American city for years.

I'd note that if your only goal is practicing law in Europe, there is other stuff besides IA for American JDs over there - capital markets especially.

Stanford4me

Post by Stanford4me » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:15 pm

I have a friend who went to LS in America and currently practices in Paris. Granted he did some 4 year program that saw him get his JD here and whatever the french equivalent is in France (forgive my ignorance). Got his start doing arbitration. I can reach out to him if you have some questions.

adjunct_philosopher

Post by adjunct_philosopher » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:23 pm

I have an additional question, sort of related. Would doing a semester abroad my 3L fall make getting a clerkship difficult? Could I obtain a clerkship during my 2L year, thus avoiding the problem?

Nony

Post by Nony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm

So the current clerkship hiring plan wouldn't let you apply until June of your 2L summer, but not all judges follow that plan, and some (unknown number) who do will hire as soon as it opens up, so presumably before you'd leave. But some judges might hire later, into fall of 3L. That said, most judges will do video interviews as well.

adjunct_philosopher

Post by adjunct_philosopher » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:43 am

Nony wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:59 pm
So the current clerkship hiring plan wouldn't let you apply until June of your 2L summer, but not all judges follow that plan, and some (unknown number) who do will hire as soon as it opens up, so presumably before you'd leave. But some judges might hire later, into fall of 3L. That said, most judges will do video interviews as well.
Ok got it! Would the one semester of pass/fail credit hurt my chances of getting one though?