So you think you want BigLaw?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: So you think you want BigLaw?

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 am

proteinshake wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 am
there are some smaller firms in my home state that I'm considering (if the hours requirement is way lower) that pay below market, but still 100K+ ("mid" law?). any downsides to choosing a firm like that over big law? (experience, job stability, anything else).
Risk of working same or similar hours for less pay. Cravath scale pay makes biglaw tolerable but not by a big margin (if at all). If you end up pulling similar hours for less money you're going to be pissed about it.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:05 am

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 am
proteinshake wrote:
there are some smaller firms in my home state that I'm considering (if the hours requirement is way lower) that pay below market, but still 100K+ ("mid" law?). any downsides to choosing a firm like that over big law? (experience, job stability, anything else).
Risk of working same or similar hours for less pay. Cravath scale pay makes biglaw tolerable but not by a big margin (if at all). If you end up pulling similar hours for less money you're going to be pissed about it.
Yeah, I'm going to make sure I know what the hours are actually like before anything. I really value free time and have a lot of hobbies so I feel like lower hours would be worth it to me, but I don't wanna regret it.

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 am

Jesus, I already find 50-60 in any week bad enough, can't imagine 70+ :( I'm sure I'll get to it one of these days, though.

Stirfry

Post by Stirfry » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:34 am

I’m a junior at a v10 in nyc and I’ve taken all my vacation. You are dumb as hell if you aren’t, it’s only going to get harder as you get more senior!

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:00 am

proteinshake wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:05 am
HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 am
proteinshake wrote:
Yeah, I'm going to make sure I know what the hours are actually like before anything. I really value free time and have a lot of hobbies so I feel like lower hours would be worth it to me, but I don't wanna regret it.
They won't advertise it so research it. Talk to other local attorneys about the reputation of the firm. I did a callback during law school at a firm that was mid-ish law, very aggressive litigation defense firm. I decided to ask around. Turns out they work you super hard, the pay is low (for a firm), no bonus for meeting hours, and they were rough on juniors. And their clients always did terrible things and end up in the news.

Definitely ended up self-immolating in the interview and mercifully did not receive an offer.

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am

Super random, but does anyone know of any colleagues exiting into the FBI after a few years of big law? I've read that lawyers have considerable advantage when applying for the FBI, but never see it mentioned as an exit option on law forums.

Nony

Post by Nony » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 am

I know of some JD-turned-agents, but I don’t think they ever practiced. It’s not at all an easy/common route.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:04 am

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am
Super random, but does anyone know of any colleagues exiting into the FBI after a few years of big law? I've read that lawyers have considerable advantage when applying for the FBI, but never see it mentioned as an exit option on law forums.
I did a summer internship at DOJ and briefly interacted with an FBI agent who was working with us on a matter. I didn't get the sense he ever practiced. I think he went straight in to the FBI, through their usual agent recruitment, which is extremely competitive.

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:50 pm

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am

Heard other way around as well. But they were fbi JD to biglaw

heythatslife

Post by heythatslife » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:46 am

heythatslife wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 am
Jesus, I already find 50-60 in any week bad enough, can't imagine 70+ :( I'm sure I'll get to it one of these days, though.
Damn it, did I jinx myself by saying this? Ended up getting 25 hours over the weekend to put me right up to 70.

Feeding input to a printer is a special joy unto itself. Y'all should try if you haven't done so already.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Tue May 01, 2018 2:09 am

do you use/need a leather briefcase? wondering if I should get one when I find a good deal.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Tue May 01, 2018 2:31 am

A true briefcase (hard exterior) would be too heavy. A couple friends got me a nice leather "document" bag with a fabric interior. I pop my laptop in along with random notes for whatever work I'm taking home and my headphones, along with an extra power cord for the laptop. It's sufficient. Only occasionally do I take a large amount of printed documents home, and if I do they're in a binder.

Basically, just get a nice leather bag, any style (messenger or otherwise), and keep the basics you need to work remotely from anywhere in it.

Mbanksy

Post by Mbanksy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am

Does the pay rate and career opportunities between the NYC biglaw market and the DC market differ significantly? Is the difference in COL factored into salary or is it standardized between the two markets?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Thu May 03, 2018 10:18 am

Biglaw firms will pay the same and have the same Cravath pay scale (if they've decided to align with Cravath scale). There are firms in both NYC and DC that do not pay the lockstep Cravath scale though, but that's firm-dependent.

Generally speaking, Biglaw firms do not account for COL between different markets because it would cause pretty petty (or at least I think it's petty, others can rightfully disagree with this though) dissension among the associate ranks if someone in one office was getting paid more for doing substantially the same work for the same number of hours. There are certain firms that pay different salaries for different offices, but not the traditional Biglaw firms.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am

does it matter what firm you work at (assume in NYC) if you plan on lateralling to a smaller market ASAP?

North

Post by North » Thu May 03, 2018 10:42 am

proteinshake wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am
does it matter what firm you work at (assume in NYC) if you plan on lateralling to a smaller market ASAP?
Yes? Not sure I understand why it wouldn't.

Danger Zone

Post by Danger Zone » Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, firms in smaller markets are way more likely to say "wow, Cravath!" than they are to say "wow, Morrison Cohen!" Would think that's an obvious point.

North

Post by North » Thu May 03, 2018 10:49 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am
Yeah, firms in smaller markets are way more likely to say "wow, Cravath!" than they are to say "wow, Morrison Cohen!" Would think that's an obvious point.
:lol: Exactly

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu May 03, 2018 10:54 am

ok

North

Post by North » Thu May 03, 2018 10:56 am

Substantive experience trumps of course, but yeah. And particularly because it seems like you want to lateral before you'd be far enough along to really get much substantive experience.

(lol ninja edit)

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Thu May 03, 2018 2:09 pm

proteinshake wrote:
Plz give ur reason for why you wouldn’t just start in that market? Besides striking out in that market to begin with?

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 pm

barkschool wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 2:09 pm
proteinshake wrote:
Plz give ur reason for why you wouldn’t just start in that market? Besides striking out in that market to begin with?
that was the only reason

FrogNToad

Post by FrogNToad » Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 am

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:31 am
A true briefcase (hard exterior) would be too heavy. A couple friends got me a nice leather "document" bag with a fabric interior. I pop my laptop in along with random notes for whatever work I'm taking home and my headphones, along with an extra power cord for the laptop. It's sufficient. Only occasionally do I take a large amount of printed documents home, and if I do they're in a binder.

Basically, just get a nice leather bag, any style (messenger or otherwise), and keep the basics you need to work remotely from anywhere in it.
Do people actually care about what bag you use? I used my janky backpack over the summer and nobody batted an eye.

To be fair, my commute involves a significant amount of time outside on a bike, so a leather bag would have fallen apart after a couple of rainstorms.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun May 06, 2018 2:43 am

You'll keep your job. But someone, somewhere, is judging you for that janky backpack. (Me.)

SmokeytheBear

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun May 06, 2018 10:27 am

FrogNToad wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 am
HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:31 am

Do people actually care about what bag you use?

Unless you're at S&C, where having the S&C bag was a point of pride, otherwise no.