So you think you want BigLaw?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
Sloansabbith24

Re: So you think you want BigLaw?

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:50 am

Last edited by Sloansabbith24 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

abujabal

Post by abujabal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 am

Can current BigLawyers (correct if that's the wrong way to refer) help me understand how much money you spend on grocery/food per month? I'm the way I am, so I'm trying to understand what a budget after school may look like for BigLaw, but I know that there's variability there with eating out/firm meals that makes that sort of budget different than the one I'm used to now

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:34 am

Most big firms will pay for your dinner most nights of the week if you stay past 6:30/7. What that looks like varies. Also you're staying past 7 which sucks.

Breakfast and lunch you're usually are on your own, and if you're busy that day, you're eating at your desk. If you have time to meal plan and prep during the week then maybe you'll save money but you might not, depending on your schedule.

Really enjoyed using Soylent for breakfast and lunch today because I didn't have time to actually use utensils.

bk1

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 am

proteinshake wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm
when networking, do you think partners are more inclined to help you if you are both part of ACS/FedSoc? I noticed a partner alum of my school is part of the same organization and was wondering if it'd be a good thing to bring up when cold-emailing.
I don't think many people give a fuck about ACS/FedSoc.

bk1

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:06 am

abujabal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 am
Can current BigLawyers (correct if that's the wrong way to refer) help me understand how much money you spend on grocery/food per month? I'm the way I am, so I'm trying to understand what a budget after school may look like for BigLaw, but I know that there's variability there with eating out/firm meals that makes that sort of budget different than the one I'm used to now
Really varies by firm. As dog noted, a lot of firms will cover dinners if you bill enough. A number of firms will also have lunch covered in some way or another for a number of days out of the week (and firms with summer programs you can get all your lunches covered then if you want). A lot of associates also tend to eat out because they work a lot and would rather not cook.

It depends on how busy you are and what your priorities are.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 am

bk1 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:03 am
proteinshake wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:18 pm
when networking, do you think partners are more inclined to help you if you are both part of ACS/FedSoc? I noticed a partner alum of my school is part of the same organization and was wondering if it'd be a good thing to bring up when cold-emailing.
I don't think many people give a fuck about ACS/FedSoc.
damn alright. this person has it listed in their bio that they are part of the city org so I though I'd mention it as a connection when I cold-email, but wasn't sure if that'd be weird.

abujabal

Post by abujabal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 am

bk1 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:06 am
abujabal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:26 am
Really varies by firm. As dog noted, a lot of firms will cover dinners if you bill enough. A number of firms will also have lunch covered in some way or another for a number of days out of the week (and firms with summer programs you can get all your lunches covered then if you want). A lot of associates also tend to eat out because they work a lot and would rather not cook.

It depends on how busy you are and what your priorities are.
I mean, I'm the kind of person who will cook dinner/lunch even if I'm returning at 10 PM - I suppose the initial question was more of a "how much money do you find yourself spending on take out because you find yourself resorting to ordering out because you're just that tired"

bk1

Post by bk1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 am

proteinshake wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07 am

damn alright. this person has it listed in their bio that they are part of the city org so I though I'd mention it as a connection when I cold-email, but wasn't sure if that'd be weird.
I'm not saying some people don't (clearly FedSoc has an outsized role in Republican political circles). If someone lists something in their firm bio, it's probably fair game (they may or may not care, but worth a shot if you don't have a better hook).

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 am

Abu, it's not a question of how tired (usually) but how much time. If you get home at 10 and have to be back in the office at 6 to finish something, you may not want to use valuable time cooking.

Your time is the most valuable thing to you in this profession and especially in biglaw. You'll see how scarce it can be very quickly.

abujabal

Post by abujabal » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 am

Totally buy it, and I'm not coming at it with legal experience, but I've had those hours before and cooking has always been my priority. It's an odd personality quirk, but it's certainly a core one. The question is more trying to gauge how much people who have the gig spend on groceries vs. eating out. I'm looking more for a dollar figure than anything

Barack O'Drama

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 am

abujabal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 am
Totally buy it, and I'm not coming at it with legal experience, but I've had those hours before and cooking has always been my priority. It's an odd personality quirk, but it's certainly a core one. The question is more trying to gauge how much people who have the gig spend on groceries vs. eating out. I'm looking more for a dollar figure than anything
Same question

I'm in a similar position work wise, but I basically always prefer to eat out instead of cooking. Most days work from 9 am to 9 pm-ish and I'm home by 10 pm. How much do those working NYC BL spend on ordering food per month?
If you're at a firm where you're working late, how many meals does your firm cover?

barkschool

Post by barkschool » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am

Barack O'Drama wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 am
abujabal wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:14 am
Same question

I'm in a similar position work wise, but I basically always prefer to eat out instead of cooking. Most days work from 9 am to 9 pm-ish and I'm home by 10 pm. How much do those working NYC BL spend on ordering food per month?
If you're at a firm where you're working late, how many meals does your firm cover?
If i get really busy i could spend something like $500 a no on just “sustience meal” aka breakfast/ lunch

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 am

Honestly I'm the worst at budgeting but the very approximate rough total for me and my partner's combined monthly spend on food is probably like $900. If it were just me, I'd say $500-600 since I'd eat out more often if he didn't make dinner.

LochnersAngels

Post by LochnersAngels » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am

Anyone know if there's a significant difference in QOL between markets? I'm working at a secondary market this summer (think Houston/Dallas/Atlanta) and I'm wondering whether it'll be more sustainable than a NYC gig (e.g. I make it 6 years instead of 3).

xael

Post by xael » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:04 pm

LochnersAngels wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am
Anyone know if there's a significant difference in QOL between markets? I'm working at a secondary market this summer (think Houston/Dallas/Atlanta) and I'm wondering whether it'll be more sustainable than a NYC gig (e.g. I make it 6 years instead of 3).
in aggregate there might be, but there's no formulation that says atlanta years = 0.3 NYC years or whatever. I think I've said this in this thread or somewhere else on LSL, but the decision to stay 1 or 2 or 10 years isn't yours. It isn't that you will be fired (though by year 10 that's a different question). It's whether you are lucky to be put on a team or find a firm where you can actually stand to be around the people. A firm where associates average 2200 hours a year but is full of people who are understanding, nice, and work well together is more "sustainable" than a firm that averages 1800 but your team is staffed with people who call you all hours of the night, get angry when you aren't around, etc. and while you can make some educated decisions, such as avoiding wachtell if you have that option, or gravitating towards firms with low face time requirements, but overall, how long you are able to stay at any particular firm comes down to luck, not where that firm is located. you just might be more likely to be lucky in a secondary market (though note that most people don't compare like and like when considering secondary markets. the proper comparison is to a similar sized office in new york, not cravath)

your summer is when you are able to figure out (at least somewhat) if the firm you are looking at is one that will be tolerable or not. look for things like how easy it is to work from home, if people yell, how they determine who is busy and who isn't, how they allocate work to associates, whether associates find it easy to switch practice areas, etc.

Barack O'Drama

Post by Barack O'Drama » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm

thanks for the info everyone! this thread is definitely one of the most helpful!

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Asking about NYC SA- I understand some BL firms offer the option to split the summer between London (or HK, etc) and NYC. This sounds like an opportunity for more exposure and being abroad for a while is appealing, but for someone set on staying in NYC after graduation, is this option common/advisable?

Vexed

Post by Vexed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm

Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm
Asking about NYC SA- I understand some BL firms offer the option to split the summer between London (or HK, etc) and NYC. This sounds like an opportunity for more exposure and being abroad for a while is appealing, but for someone set on staying in NYC after graduation, is this option common/advisable?
We had one member of my summer class split NYC/London and which office that SA would receive an offer to come back to was an open question all summer. Wherever you choose to SA, you should be comfortable returning to that market upon graduation. Similarly, when it comes to splitting (international or not) you should be comfortable working in either office you split with after graduation - always the possibility that only one of them makes an offer.

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:20 am

Vexed wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:39 pm
Sloansabbith24 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:54 pm
We had one member of my summer class split NYC/London and which office that SA would receive an offer to come back to was an open question all summer. Wherever you choose to SA, you should be comfortable returning to that market upon graduation. Similarly, when it comes to splitting (international or not) you should be comfortable working in either office you split with after graduation - always the possibility that only one of them makes an offer.
Oh wow! Thanks for the insight. I always thought you were the one who got to decide between the two markets after getting the offer.

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:01 am

Billed 70 this week. Posting in this thread to encourage people to reconsider pursuing it!

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:21 am

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:01 am
Billed 70 this week. Posting in this thread to encourage people to reconsider pursuing it!
how many hours would you say you actually worked?

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:32 am

Completely irrelevant question at this point. I am well past the point of being overworked.

proteinshake

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am

I get that, I was just curious

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:41 am

proteinshake wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 am
I get that, I was just curious
Honestly wasn't keeping track, since I was working once I got home. Non billed time in the office doesn't really matter when you're just taking breaks for commute, bathroom, eating, showering, and sleep.

Usually for these kinds of guesstimates I assume roughly 10 hours "working" but not billing but I don't track it closely.

Sloansabbith24

Post by Sloansabbith24 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:49 am

Last edited by Sloansabbith24 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:06 am, edited 3 times in total.