What does a career in con law look like?

Please post in this forum if you have any questions about law school or legal employment but have not yet entered law school.
tnr13

What does a career in con law look like?

Post by tnr13 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:36 pm

What does a career in constitutional law look like when you graduate from law school? Early career options, and then how does that translate into mid-career? I know there is huge variety in con law, so let's specify a career in civil rights (thinking along the lines of Neufeld or doj cr or ACLU). Is this field pretty much reserved for overachieving HYS grads? Is it such a unicorn market that anyone that anyone with hopes of entering should be wary?

By way of background, I was considering a career in criminal law/public defense a little while ago but realized that I couldn't see myself doing it forever. Def not interested in anything big law or corporate related. I could be interested in civil rights but figured it was too hard to break into. I don't want to spend 200k for a slim slim slim chance for a field I *might* be interested in.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: What does a career in con law look like?

Post by ymmv » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:23 pm

The replies in this thread might be a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9269&p=320992

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:30 pm

tnr13 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:36 pm
I don't want to spend 200k for a slim slim slim chance for a field I *might* be interested in.
Unfortunately this is what going to a non-Yale law school to pursue constitutional law amounts to; your instincts are exactly correct. Many, many legal practices touch on constitutional law in various way, but shy of doing criminal appellate work or landing a job with the ACLU there aren’t many con law “specialized” practices to the degree of being a con law professor (which is not a career path anyone should bank on).

tnr13

Post by tnr13 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:05 pm

ymmv wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:30 pm
tnr13 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:36 pm
I don't want to spend 200k for a slim slim slim chance for a field I *might* be interested in.
Unfortunately this is what going to a non-Yale law school to pursue constitutional law amounts to; your instincts are exactly correct. Many, many legal practices touch on constitutional law in various way, but shy of doing criminal appellate work or landing a job with the ACLU there aren’t many con law “specialized” practices to the degree of being a con law professor (which is not a career path anyone should bank on).
Sorry for the delay! I just wanted to say thank you for the url and information. And with that, the dream is dead! Thank you for saving me energy, suffering, and money. I will stay in policy research.