Submitting a controversial paper to a writing competition?

Hstrat

Submitting a controversial paper to a writing competition?

Post by Hstrat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:18 pm

My professor suggested that I submit a paper that I wrote on organ donation to the state bar's student writing health law competition. It's got some nice cash prizes, so I'm considering it. However, the argument I made in the paper is kind of controversial and also not an opinion I actually agree with; I just thought it would be a good paper topic. If you win this competition, they publish your paper in the state bar's newspaper and on their website, and I don't love the idea of that being out there with my name on it. Am I being ridiculous for worrying about this?
Last edited by Hstrat on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nony

Re: Submitting a controversial paper to a writing competition?

Post by Nony » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with publishing something on a controversial topic, but if you don’t actually agree with what you’re advocating I definitely wouldn’t submit to a competition that’s going to publish the winner. People do google and they will find stuff like that. If it were actually your opinion that would be fine, but people will assume it is your opinion and since it’s not, it just seems like way too much hassle. (Taking flak for something you don’t actually believe seems counterproductive to me.)