How to find note topics

note1L

How to find note topics

Post by note1L » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Hi,

I am a 1L interested in writing a note. I have some nascent and vague topic ideas. But mostly I feel lost and confused about how I am supposed to find a topic. I guess I should start by reading a bunch of published notes, right?

UVA2B

Re: How to find note topics

Post by UVA2B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Honestly, that’s how it works pretty rarely. If you are looking for a good note topic, you should find a professor to supervise your note, and they usually have 3-4 topics they hope to explore, even though they don’t have the time. If you had a pet topic you wanted to explore is one thing, but if you don’t have something specific in mind, you should see where the professor sees ground for discussion.

note1L

Post by note1L » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Oh really? That's a relief.

In terms of the process of asking professors, do you just go one by one in order of your preference until one of them is like "yeah, I can supervise your note, I have these topics..."? Should I expect some of them to want writing samples?

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:54 pm

Have you ever been a fascinated student with a law prof? They usually have their areas of interest, so your job is to pick their brain for what interests them. That could lead to an interesting statutory construction or regulatory construct, or it could result in a bizarre jurisprudential result. Regardless, law profs spend their time thinking and worrying about arcane things, so it's your job to draw that out of them. If they're a con law prof, it's likely you aren't the only dog at the bowl, but if you are in a more specific area of the law, it's very possible you could draw out of them something that interests them that you could research and let them help you develop.