Tutoring?

Notorious

Tutoring?

Post by Notorious » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have family members who are attorneys that have suggested getting tutoring during my 1L year. They said that since 1L is pretty much everything I might as well get tutoring to maximize my success and ensure that I can get onto the Moot Court Honor Society/Law review and clerk for a Federal judge. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with that or if you guys think that it would help?

UVA2B

Re: Tutoring?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:12 pm

I don't think it will be particularly helpful, because synthesis of the law is what makes one successful in a law school class, which a tutor can't do for you. You're much better off finding a couple of friends in your 1L section to discuss hard to understand cases, concepts, rules, etc. while continuing to analyze the case law yourself and building your understanding of the 1L curriculum.

Also potentially important is that your learning style may not jive with a tutor you hire to do well during 1L, which could cause you to push down a road that doesn't actually help you synthesize the material. Having another person tell you how they better understood Erie Doctrine, Four Corners and extrinsic evidence, or intentional torts (outside possibly getting tutors who had your specific professor in every subject) will initially convince you that you understand that topic better, but it could result in your reliance on the way your tutor studied the law, which may not be how you understand the BLL and the various rules/tests and how they're applied in new fact patterns.

If your law school is worth itself, they'll have mentorship who helps you navigate your particular professors, which will do more (when combined with your hard work) than a tutor could offer. If you can find a 2L or 3L who had your professors who did well on their exams, absolutely leverage those resources (especially since 1L curriculum doesn't really change much year over year, so what they learned will still be relevant a year or more later). But trying to hire a "tutor" in law school will likely not be worth the cost.

bvest

Re: Tutoring?

Post by bvest » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:39 am

Schools often have 1L tutoring programs, but they generally identify students (at the beginning of 1L by UGPA or LSAT; after first semester, by GPA) who would most benefit from it and I know at least one guy who was borderline for it and talked his way in. I know some folks who found it beneficial. Where I was, it was upperclass students who had that prof before.