Closed Book Exams

BL2017

Closed Book Exams

Post by BL2017 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Any advice on how to approach a closed book exam? Also, a policy essay?

MtDewMe

Re: Closed Book Exams

Post by MtDewMe » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:59 am

The book or syllabus will be broken down into chapters/sections or whatever. On every outline I make (mine for any class are typically 12-15 pages long at the most), the cover page is just the section titles or major points of a class. An abbreviated example would be for something such as Trademarks. Typically this can be boiled down to one page:

**Obtaining rights
Registration
Requirements
**Validity
Word marks
Non-word marks
**Enforcement
Priority
Confusion
**Defenses
Fair Use
Invalidity defenses
Remedies

On a closed book exam, I would HIGHLY recommend writing that out in a margin. During an issue spotter, read a paragraph, and run through the list, see what's there and what isn't, and make a quick note. Do the same and then your'e essentially already organized for your writing. On a policy question, it's almost the same. Think of the policies that influence doctrines of the major headings in an outlines and just hit all the topics you think are relevant. If you study properly, just looking at the topics should be able to refresh your memory on specific law you should know. For example, if contracts was closed book, and you have in the margin:

**Formation
Offer
Acceptance
Consideration

Just from that, you won't panic and should be reminded about your studying of the mailbox rule, conditional acceptance, what really counts as consideration, etc.

Edit: realized my own manual tabbing didn't work so added asterisks for some "heading" clarity

freshy dog

Post by freshy dog » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:39 am

agreed with the above. i started every closed book exam by immediately writing some broad level outline. as with all exams though, the best preparation is to take as many practice tests as possible. for policy essays, if you have some idea of what type of question might be asked, i'd have a few policy answers in mind and practiced that you can shoehorn.

bvest

Post by bvest » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:21 am

I used to remember 3-4 mnemonics that I had to have written down -- for example in Property it was my privity chart, AN ECHO (for adverse possession) and a couple other things I don't remember now.