Research Advice

BearCat

Research Advice

Post by BearCat » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:09 pm

How do I go about finding a report and recommendation by a magistrate judge that isn't on westlaw or lexis? I have the case number and the docket number of the order, the court, and the date it was filed, but that's it.

Could make this into a "how do I find X?" thread.

Nony

Re: Research Advice

Post by Nony » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm

You probably have to go onto PACER, or Lexis Courtlink if you have access to that. (PACER you have to register for and pay 10 cents a page so I don’t know how that works as an individual rather than a firm.)

UVA2B

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Nony wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm
You probably have to go onto PACER, or Lexis Courtlink if you have access to that. (PACER you have to register for and pay 10 cents a page so I don’t know how that works as an individual rather than a firm.)
Doesn’t Bloomberg come with PACER access? As a Law student, you should be able to get that for free.

lolwat

Post by lolwat » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Nony wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm
I have a personal PACER and it works pretty much the same really... although it's been years since I did the signup process so I can't remember for sure. I think certain orders and stuff are free and, again if I remember right, if your monthly charge is below a certain amount (like $10?) they waive the charge for that month.