Those with an LLM or Wanting an LLM

revolutionarybadger7

Post by revolutionarybadger7 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Hey everyone! I am working on a project with my school where we are looking to establish a new LLM program. Because of this, I want to know how many of you have an interest in getting an LMM for, or have received an LLM in Private International Law, Public International Law, or Maritime and Admiralty Law. We are trying to decide which program would invite more people. Thank you for your help!

HelloYesThisIsDog

Re: Those with an LLM or Wanting an LLM

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am

I would think the most popular LLM programs would be those designed for international students with prior legal education in their home countries coming to the US who want to sit for the bar exam without getting a JD. (NY and Washington State allow this.) After that, tax seems to be the second most popular since it's actually valued by employers.

CS1775

Re: Those with an LLM or Wanting an LLM

Post by CS1775 » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 pm

HelloYesThisIsDog wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:36 am
I would think the most popular LLM programs would be those designed for international students with prior legal education in their home countries coming to the US who want to sit for the bar exam without getting a JD. (NY and Washington State allow this.) After that, tax seems to be the second most popular since it's actually valued by employers.
2L here. Seconding the tax LLM, however, NYU and Georgetown have a lock on the market. Perhaps a T1 regional law school (BU is my local example) could establish itself in a smaller market, but NYU and Georgetown are the ultimate tax LLM schools.

The only reasons why I would consider a LLM would be if I intend to pursue a tax law career or if there's a legitimate shot of me being hired as faculty at a law school for something practice-related.

SolCab

Post by SolCab » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:08 am

Yes CPT, it seems that the 2nd round of offers around March 15th is going to be as numerous as the 1st round... It would thus be very helpful to people like us who havent received any acceptance if those with multiple offers send their rejection the universities lower in their preference list...

EmileTat

Post by EmileTat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:37 pm

Did you get no-offered? Anyway, I think TARE is predominantly Big 4. Not sure what you’re looking to do, but it’ll be difficult getting a big law firm with a medianish GPA from a tier 2 school and an LLM from UF/NW.