Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

Pre-writing exam answers

Post Reply
User avatar
paperchaser
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Pre-writing exam answers

Post by paperchaser » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:23 pm

Is this academic dishonesty? I.e. having pre-written answers (the issue and rule and conclusion) for things that will 100% be tested, then pasting them to exam and altering it, filling in the application to the specific issue in the fact pattern

User avatar
UVA2B
Moderator
Posts: 2803
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:26 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by UVA2B » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:44 pm

You won’t be allowed to do this unless your professor explicitly allows electronic outlines and says you can copy/paste from that outline. Most IME will explicitly disallow this practice though, and some won’t even allow electronic outlines. As always, consult your school and professors specific exam guidance for rules like this.

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:45 pm

may or may not be dishonesty based on the rules of your school/prof but based on your "paste" language, sounds like dishonesty if you're using examsoft. if you just mean transcribing it from notes, and your prof is open-note... i'd still run it by your prof.

may or may not be a bad idea in general. i can see it working for chevron pre-written or various con-law tests but it won't work for a 3-page torts fact pattern.

User avatar
paperchaser
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by paperchaser » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:23 am

Almost all my exams are take home and open note/book/outline. Just no internet help (not that it'd help anyways) or help from anyone else. Was thinking more for like my very professor specific PJ and SMJ analysis; nothing in the academic policy says anything against it. Although it is on exam4 so it would be transcribing (and heavily altering) a formatted answer. A 3L told me alot of ppl pre write I was just wondering what the consensus was; maybe it's more school specific since we have pretty much all our exams take home exams take home open note

User avatar
Nony
Posts: 3683
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by Nony » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 am

If your exams are open book/note, and you have something like this in your notes and you transcribe it into the exam (as opposed to cutting and pasting), I can’t see how it would be dishonesty, again assuming your prof doesn’t specifically forbid it. I’ve definitely seen people suggest it before. Personally I never found anything like that particularly worthwhile (prewriting something like that wouldn’t save me any time over transcribing/altering to fit the facts and stating the issue etc wasn’t anything I found difficult/time consuming), but I suppose reasonable minds can disagree on that.

User avatar
paperchaser
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by paperchaser » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Turns out cutting and pasting is allowed. Only seems helpful for like one class or two and only a few issues at that tho

User avatar
pancakes3
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm

Are you not using testing software?

User avatar
paperchaser
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by paperchaser » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm
Are you not using testing software?
Registrar said Exam4 on take home mode, which will allow for cutting and pasting as well as web access. Neither seems like it'll be helpful from my initial practice test experience

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn
Hardening Democrat
Posts: 5053
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm

paperchaser wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm
Are you not using testing software?
Registrar said Exam4 on take home mode, which will allow for cutting and pasting as well as web access. Neither seems like it'll be helpful from my initial practice test experience
yeah anything you can copy paste will almost certainly be a trivial part of the exam.

User avatar
Experiment626
Moderator
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by Experiment626 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm
paperchaser wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm
Are you not using testing software?
Registrar said Exam4 on take home mode, which will allow for cutting and pasting as well as web access. Neither seems like it'll be helpful from my initial practice test experience
yeah anything you can copy paste will almost certainly be a trivial part of the exam.

If you are actually going to do this, you should double check on this with your tech people. Our tech guy told us that if we have an open exam, the copy and paste function only works within the Exam4 software and that you cannot paste things pulled from outside the program.

User avatar
paperchaser
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Re: Pre-writing exam answers

Post by paperchaser » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:52 pm

Experiment626 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:21 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm
paperchaser wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:43 pm
pancakes3 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm
Are you not using testing software?
Registrar said Exam4 on take home mode, which will allow for cutting and pasting as well as web access. Neither seems like it'll be helpful from my initial practice test experience
yeah anything you can copy paste will almost certainly be a trivial part of the exam.

If you are actually going to do this, you should double check on this with your tech people. Our tech guy told us that if we have an open exam, the copy and paste function only works within the Exam4 software and that you cannot paste things pulled from outside the program.
There's open mode and then there's take home mode. Registrar specifically mentioned copy and pasting is doable bc they noted how formatting doesn't carry over from word to exam4

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests