Question about Moral Character application, California.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Question about Moral Character application, California.

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Does the bar send a letter saying they have assigned an analyst to the application? I haven't received any mailing regarding my moral character app. The website just says "under review'. Almost 2 months now.

onlyoncemore

Re: Question about Moral Character application, California.

Post by onlyoncemore » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm

The Bar didn't send me any notice about my case being assigned, but they did send me a final letter saying my moral app was approved. It took a total of 5 months for me so I think you're good. If you're really concerned, you can email admissions.la@calbar.ca.gov and ask for the status of your case in about 30 more days.
  • from here :
    During the course of each investigation, the Committee routinely contacts many sources and outside agencies; therefore, staff is not in a position to provide information on the status of the investigation until approximately 120 days have elapsed. If in the course of the investigation staff requires further information or documentation, applicants will be contacted prior to the completion of the investigation. All applicants will receive written notification when the investigation has been completed. Any questions regarding the status of an application after the lapse of 120 days should be made in writing rather than by telephone.
The time really varies. Some of my friends got theirs back within 4 weeks, some 2 months, mine took 5 months, and one of my friends is still waiting waiting on her clearance. It should be mentioned that the friend who is still waiting and I both have some work experience abroad so ... maybe the people abroad are just reaaaaallly slow with their questionnaires?

FinallyPassedTheBar

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:51 pm
The Bar didn't send me any notice about my case being assigned, but they did send me a final letter saying my moral app was approved. It took a total of 5 months for me so I think you're good. If you're really concerned, you can email admissions.la@calbar.ca.gov and ask for the status of your case in about 30 more days.
  • from here :
    During the course of each investigation, the Committee routinely contacts many sources and outside agencies; therefore, staff is not in a position to provide information on the status of the investigation until approximately 120 days have elapsed. If in the course of the investigation staff requires further information or documentation, applicants will be contacted prior to the completion of the investigation. All applicants will receive written notification when the investigation has been completed. Any questions regarding the status of an application after the lapse of 120 days should be made in writing rather than by telephone.
The time really varies. Some of my friends got theirs back within 4 weeks, some 2 months, mine took 5 months, and one of my friends is still waiting waiting on her clearance. It should be mentioned that the friend who is still waiting and I both have some work experience abroad so ... maybe the people abroad are just reaaaaallly slow with their questionnaires?
Thanks for the info.

The wait continues....

Seneca

Post by Seneca » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm

Does anyone have experience "getting the letter" after submitting your moral character application?

I am told if you have prior arrests (like DUI or alcohol related arrests in undergrad) you automatically get a letter with questions asking you to explain your current relationship with drugs and alcohol. Does anyone have insight on this process? After speaking with my school and the state bar, I am confident I will be receiving one of these letters. Am wondering whether I should hire an attorney to respond to it.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:45 am

Well last week I got written notification that my moral character application was approved :)

Here's my timeline:

1. Early December: Submitted C&F application.
2. Mid March: Received automated email stating "file complete".
3. Early May: Called Bar association to see what's up. Was told nothing, just to wait 6-8 months.
4. Early June: Received letter stating bar is still continuing their review of my application. This is the first time I was given the name of my analyst.
5. Late June: Received letter stating I passed.

DOT

Post by DOT » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 pm

It's fucking ridiculous how long these things can take

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 pm

Seneca wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm
Does anyone have experience "getting the letter" after submitting your moral character application?

I am told if you have prior arrests (like DUI or alcohol related arrests in undergrad) you automatically get a letter with questions asking you to explain your current relationship with drugs and alcohol. Does anyone have insight on this process? After speaking with my school and the state bar, I am confident I will be receiving one of these letters. Am wondering whether I should hire an attorney to respond to it.
I got a DUI... it's been over 6 years now. I was really concerned so I went and saw a lawyer who specializes in this shit (yes, there really are lawyers who specialize in it). Cost me about a grand. He told me what to write, how to write it, etc. I asked him if earning my undergrad degree and getting into law school, and then graduating law school would show that I'd adequately rehabbed myself. He said no, they don't take that into consideration. In other words, being able to point to concrete evidence that you've progresses since then is no help.

I submitted my app last October. They're still sending shit out to my references. I think that they hit up my last one about three weeks ago though.

It didn't used to be like this. It went from signing a letter stating you were a fine human being, to cursory background checks, to a more thorough background check, and now it's the virtual proctology exam by an angry guy with banana-sized finger we're all to familiar with. I do believe a background check should be done, but they've taken this thing too far. It's really invasive and there's no authority to appeal to.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 am

Opoponax wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 pm

I submitted my app last October. They're still sending shit out to my references. I think that they hit up my last one about three weeks ago though.

I think the bar is sending out those reference forms on a staggered scheduled. I don't know why. Same thing happened to me.

dog

Post by dog » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Seneca wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I got a DUI... it's been over 6 years now. I was really concerned so I went and saw a lawyer who specializes in this shit (yes, there really are lawyers who specialize in it). Cost me about a grand. He told me what to write, how to write it, etc. I asked him if earning my undergrad degree and getting into law school, and then graduating law school would show that I'd adequately rehabbed myself. He said no, they don't take that into consideration. In other words, being able to point to concrete evidence that you've progresses since then is no help.

It didn't used to be like this. It went from signing a letter stating you were a fine human being, to cursory background checks, to a more thorough background check, and now it's the virtual proctology exam by an angry guy with banana-sized finger we're all to familiar with. I do believe a background check should be done, but they've taken this thing too far. It's really invasive and there's no authority to appeal to.
I did not get a letter but I received notification that my file had been assigned to an investigator, and the name of the investigator/that they would follow up if they needed any additional info.

Is this standard, or no? I did have one minor issue that I disclosed, so I'm assuming it has to do with that. I'm just confused about whether I need to take any further action.