February 2018 CA Bar Exam

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Registered ExamSoft (I guess it's called Examplify now) today. Definitely a significant change from the last version of the program... definitely recommend running through it a few times if you haven't already. Not a big fan of how the alarm works (the orange light is less noticeable than the red light when alarm ended).

Anyway, registering the program got me thinking a bit about my writing approach. I think in the AM session, I'm going to take a quick glance through the three essays, and save the hardest (or the subject I know the least) till the very end. For the PM session, I'm going to do the PT first (and hopefully take no more than 1 hr 40 mins).

RationalJD
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:49 am

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by RationalJD » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm

bigballerbrand wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm
Registered ExamSoft (I guess it's called Examplify now) today. Definitely a significant change from the last version of the program... definitely recommend running through it a few times if you haven't already. Not a big fan of how the alarm works (the orange light is less noticeable than the red light when alarm ended).

Anyway, registering the program got me thinking a bit about my writing approach. I think in the AM session, I'm going to take a quick glance through the three essays, and save the hardest (or the subject I know the least) till the very end. For the PM session, I'm going to do the PT first (and hopefully take no more than 1 hr 40 mins).
This could be a dangerous proposition unless you are really disciplined about staying within your time limit and can stop at 1h40m mark and not one minute after. I think it could really screw up more if they happen to put a racehorse exam in the PM session. But then, if you get 75 or higher on PT, then of course, the points you can generate from PT could make up the screw up on that exam.

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:50 pm

RationalJD wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:13 pm
bigballerbrand wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 pm
Registered ExamSoft (I guess it's called Examplify now) today. Definitely a significant change from the last version of the program... definitely recommend running through it a few times if you haven't already. Not a big fan of how the alarm works (the orange light is less noticeable than the red light when alarm ended).

Anyway, registering the program got me thinking a bit about my writing approach. I think in the AM session, I'm going to take a quick glance through the three essays, and save the hardest (or the subject I know the least) till the very end. For the PM session, I'm going to do the PT first (and hopefully take no more than 1 hr 40 mins).
This could be a dangerous proposition unless you are really disciplined about staying within your time limit and can stop at 1h40m mark and not one minute after. I think it could really screw up more if they happen to put a racehorse exam in the PM session. But then, if you get 75 or higher on PT, then of course, the points you can generate from PT could make up the screw up on that exam.
Fair points.
  • One motivating factor for me is that I failed last July by 25 points, which was weighed down by running out of time on the PT (and getting a 50 on it).
  • Another motivating factor, I've finished within 90 minutes on my practice PT this week and the week before that (though time management was an issue before these last two weeks).
  • I guess the counter is I feel so much better about essays this time around that I'm less likely (in theory) to go over my allotted time on the two essays before I get to the PT this time.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:43 pm

As the exam gets closer, just remember that you are capable. You may pass this time, or you may not (let's be honest and expect the ~40% pass rate so that you can do your best anyway). But if you can graduate law school, you have it in you to pass.

Even if you fail the bar, it's not going anywhere. It's going to stay in the same spot, while you keep getting closer and closer like a predator moving in on a prey. Therefore, passing is inevitable.

I wrote some encouraging words a couple weeks ago that I thought were fluffy and not that substantive, but people actually liked this one (should have shared earlier) ... https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?u=284 ... 562c6afea8

I guess sometimes you just want a cheerleader on your side. Hope it makes some of you feel better. This will be over by this time next week. On the upside, it won't be as bad as the 3 months of waiting in anxiety and ennui you'll have to go through. You can worry about that later :)

largoman256
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by largoman256 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Hello,
I have been a long-time TLS lurker and only now because of the need to vent wanted to make a post.
After failing the bar back in July, I haven't been able to focus as much as I would like because of the fear of losing everything I have gained so far.
I struggled working through all the anxiety and stress but have only managed to study around 150 hours. Not enough practice.
I find this period so difficult because although everyone is supportive they don't understand what you are going through completely and this seems for me at least a 100% battle with yourself. Also, there are a lot of people you can talk to that understand what you went through, but you don't want to appear weak.

I have a significant other who is giving me support as I go silently crazy. I'm starting to make peace with the fact that I may fail and be crippled with my debt and be unemployed. At this point I feel the most sorry for my significant other because I haven't pushed myself to the maximum.
Already starting to feel a little better after writing all of this.

Anyway, the second reason I am writing this post is to let "a male human" know that I really do appreciate the posts you make here and on TLS.
At least for me, your posts and your blog/website have been helpful to work through the fear. If push comes to shove I will be relying on it more and I know a lot of others will be in the same boat. Thank you a male human.

onlythreemonths
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by onlythreemonths » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm

Can anyone suggest to me a particularly difficult PT that I should look over? Would really appreciate it!

Also, does anyone remember how much time Kaplan/Barbri says we should be spending reading the files for the PT? I think it was about 30-45 mins? I did a PT today, and spent waaaay to much time reading, so I need rule of thumb to pace myself.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 am

largoman256 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Hello,
I have been a long-time TLS lurker and only now because of the need to vent wanted to make a post.
After failing the bar back in July, I haven't been able to focus as much as I would like because of the fear of losing everything I have gained so far.
I struggled working through all the anxiety and stress but have only managed to study around 150 hours. Not enough practice.
I find this period so difficult because although everyone is supportive they don't understand what you are going through completely and this seems for me at least a 100% battle with yourself. Also, there are a lot of people you can talk to that understand what you went through, but you don't want to appear weak.

I have a significant other who is giving me support as I go silently crazy. I'm starting to make peace with the fact that I may fail and be crippled with my debt and be unemployed. At this point I feel the most sorry for my significant other because I haven't pushed myself to the maximum.
Already starting to feel a little better after writing all of this.

Anyway, the second reason I am writing this post is to let "a male human" know that I really do appreciate the posts you make here and on TLS.
At least for me, your posts and your blog/website have been helpful to work through the fear. If push comes to shove I will be relying on it more and I know a lot of others will be in the same boat. Thank you a male human.
Hey largoman, I really appreciate the shoutout. It's always great to know that someone out there is finding my work helpful. It keeps me going.

Side story! I recently sent an email to someone I've felt grateful for the past 4+ years. I realized that she's not going to know if I feel thankful but not tell her that, even if her action was fairly insignificant. She appreciated the gesture even if it was years "late."

Bar prep can be a very lonely endeavor since muggles don't really get what the hell you're going through. I hope it's comforting to simply know that there are people out there who understand your struggle.

onlythreemonths wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Can anyone suggest to me a particularly difficult PT that I should look over? Would really appreciate it!
Either PT from 2013 July. But I don't think doing these is good for your sanity and confidence.

MPTs are pretty similar to the 90-minute CA PT, JFYI. Plenty to practice with here:

http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing/
o Point Sheets from older administrations
https://www.gabaradmissions.org/essay-a ... ed-answers
o MPT assignments and sample answers since 2000
https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions ... stions.htm
o Includes different sample answers to same MPTs from 2005

onlythreemonths
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by onlythreemonths » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:34 pm

a male human wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:47 am
largoman256 wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 pm
Hello,
I have been a long-time TLS lurker and only now because of the need to vent wanted to make a post.
After failing the bar back in July, I haven't been able to focus as much as I would like because of the fear of losing everything I have gained so far.
I struggled working through all the anxiety and stress but have only managed to study around 150 hours. Not enough practice.
I find this period so difficult because although everyone is supportive they don't understand what you are going through completely and this seems for me at least a 100% battle with yourself. Also, there are a lot of people you can talk to that understand what you went through, but you don't want to appear weak.

I have a significant other who is giving me support as I go silently crazy. I'm starting to make peace with the fact that I may fail and be crippled with my debt and be unemployed. At this point I feel the most sorry for my significant other because I haven't pushed myself to the maximum.
Already starting to feel a little better after writing all of this.

Anyway, the second reason I am writing this post is to let "a male human" know that I really do appreciate the posts you make here and on TLS.
At least for me, your posts and your blog/website have been helpful to work through the fear. If push comes to shove I will be relying on it more and I know a lot of others will be in the same boat. Thank you a male human.
Hey largoman, I really appreciate the shoutout. It's always great to know that someone out there is finding my work helpful. It keeps me going.

Side story! I recently sent an email to someone I've felt grateful for the past 4+ years. I realized that she's not going to know if I feel thankful but not tell her that, even if her action was fairly insignificant. She appreciated the gesture even if it was years "late."

Bar prep can be a very lonely endeavor since muggles don't really get what the hell you're going through. I hope it's comforting to simply know that there are people out there who understand your struggle.

onlythreemonths wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Can anyone suggest to me a particularly difficult PT that I should look over? Would really appreciate it!
Either PT from 2013 July. But I don't think doing these is good for your sanity and confidence.

MPTs are pretty similar to the 90-minute CA PT, JFYI. Plenty to practice with here:

http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing/
o Point Sheets from older administrations
https://www.gabaradmissions.org/essay-a ... ed-answers
o MPT assignments and sample answers since 2000
https://www.nybarexam.org/ExamQuestions ... stions.htm
o Includes different sample answers to same MPTs from 2005
Thanks again!!! What the heck would we do without a male human?

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:59 pm

It took me 16 years to pass the CA bar.

Obviously you don't want to follow my path...just do your best to pass ASAP.

But life happens, and if things get in the way, put things in perspective. There's people out there risking death to arrive to a country where they can make less than minimum wage.

So, good luck to all! Everyone taking can pass. It's not impossible. But it is damn hard no doubt about it.

onlythreemonths
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:13 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by onlythreemonths » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:52 pm

Final rant.
Spoiler:
I just screwed around with the one timers calculator and freaked myself out... I put in 65s and 120 for the MBE, and that's barely passing? My overall average on Adaptibar has been 72.5%, but I'm assuming I'll probably get around a 60% on the real thing (hopefully), which means I can kinda mess up (as in get a 60) on only one essay... Fuuuuuuck...

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:04 am

I failed the July '17 exam by 25 points. Getting a 50 on the PT really hurt me. My 71-72% average on MBE could only carry me so far. Back then, I did 1200 total MBEs and only 3-4 essays per topic. No PT practice either. In other words, I definitely did not put my best foot forward in July but still came pretty close to passing.

This time around, I made sure to change things up...
  • I did 10+ essays (combination of full essays, outlining, issue spotting) on the 10 likeliest topics I think will show up. I didn't really do hardcore memorizing beyond what I got out of doing the essays and reviewing answers, making notes, etc.
  • I also did 7-8 full PT practices.
  • I also improved (somehow) on the MBEs... though a part of that is from seeing repeat questions, I'm sure.
    Spoiler:
    OVERALL AVERAGE: 83% on 1750 questions

    Image
After failing 3-4 times (lost track tbh), I'm so ready to move on.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm

Hope the first morning went well! 👋

Take it easy during lunch, get some rest, and remember that things come easily to you. Remember your training. You did all that work for a reason.

You guys are already so helpful and supportive of each other already. In other words, you guys are bar experts now. Why not show it to them?

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Is it just me or was the head proctor in Ontario tripping balls during the announcements today?

Also, on the essays overall, felt like almost all the questions were in the "vomit out everything you know / sprint" format.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 pm

Were corporations or agency covered in the essays today?

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 pm

A whole lotta D's today...

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:08 pm

bigballerbrand wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:05 pm
A whole lotta D's today...
Mind tricks. Happened to me on my MBE and to others taking the same exam.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 pm

brutal

bigballerbrand
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by bigballerbrand » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:16 am

My impression overall is that the MBE felt tougher than I hoped. That said, I had zero handle right after the MBEs in July 2017 and I ended up getting a 150.0 raw score.

So, I averaged 83% on 1800 Adaptibar questions this time around. Part of me thinks seeing repeat questions on Adaptibar (sense of comfort) sort of set me up for a mini-loop on the actual MBEs today. Still, I got into a good groove in both AM and PM sessions, and left each time before the last 15 minutes. Did my best and felt like I applied the same approach I've had leading up to the exam.

I can also echo what many others here have said about how there were tons of questions where you'd eliminate two answer choices, and pick/guess/hope between the two remaining choices. Each day when I did 30 adaptibar questions, I'd end up marking 12-15 questions during those daily practice runs because I was really stuck between two questions. Didn't matter if I scored 70% that day or 97% that day. So given that we ran through 200 questions today, it's only natural to feel like almost every other question was a struggle to pick between two answer choices.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:28 am

I feel like the MBE today was very hard. While practicing on Adaptibar I felt a lot more confident but today I felt like I basically guessed most of the answers...

JohnnieSockran
Posts: 121
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by JohnnieSockran » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am

I also felt the MBE was pretty hard today. Is it curved? So if it was objectively hard, would a 120 MBE possible become a 1440 if the typical raw MBE that gets a 1440 is 125? (Just throwing those numbers out of my head).

Anyway, congrats to all for finishing this thing, whether it is permanent or just for now. We all put a lot of work in regardless.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:53 am

JohnnieSockran wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:51 am
I also felt the MBE was pretty hard today. Is it curved? So if it was objectively hard, would a 120 MBE possible become a 1440 if the typical raw MBE that gets a 1440 is 125? (Just throwing those numbers out of my head).

Anyway, congrats to all for finishing this thing, whether it is permanent or just for now. We all put a lot of work in regardless.
Yes, I believe it's curved. The scaled MBE score of 140 (as an example) should be equivalent to a 140 in other exams, to adjust for difficulty across each administration. In CA, 140 would be multiplied by 10 to give you a scaled MBE score of 1400 to be used to calculate your overall score (averaged with written).

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:33 pm

Hi all!

I wanted to ask for a quick favor for anyone who wants to distract themselves, as the unease of waiting for results sets in.

Specifically, if you got back your 2017 July essay and PT answers, would you be willing to scan/take photos and donate them to me? They'll go into a free, public essay answer bank.

If so, please PM me or reply here. Thanks in advance!

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by horriblegb » Tue May 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Wondering if anyone is still around and waiting! (took me longer than I would like to admit to find the new site)

User avatar
KrispyMenudo
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 am

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by KrispyMenudo » Tue May 15, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm here. Still waiting.

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Wed May 16, 2018 10:54 am

Have lurked at the other place for awhile, but I like underdogs so I'll pollute this place with my nonsense for awhile.

Status: have two job offers if I pass. I have a "paid" internship right now that causes me to envy the $ security guards make. But it is what led to the opportunities I currently have if I pass. Obviously, if I don't pass, those opportunities evaporate and I don't know that I'll be able to continue my internship that pays me $1,000 a month. But if I quit it, I'm terrified I'll lose any credibility I've built up. And I can't work a second job. I already work 60+ hours a week because I do all the declaration and P&A writing, and whatever else gets thrown at me (including taking out the trash--seriously).

The fact is that if I quit, I can work two part time jobs and pay my bills.

But we'll all see what this coming Friday brings. Good luck to everyone.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests