Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 am
bigballerbrand wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 am
RationalJD wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 pm
bigballerbrand wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 pm
Hey all,

Never had a TLS account, but once I heard about the news and this website, finally decided to make an account. Hope this place takes off and becomes "the" place to gather.

Anyhow, I'm (unfortunately) a 5th time taker. The 'good' news is that I scored 1415 last July (after failing to break 1300 on all previous attempts), so I came very close to passing. My schedule this time around?
  • I just finished "Phase 1" of studying, which was 20-30 MBEs + 1-2 essays (one topic) a day (open book).
  • I start Phase 2 tomorrow, which is exactly the same as Phase 1, but essays will be closed book.
  • The last two weeks, I'll probably be doing 3-4 different essay subjects a day and either cutting down MBEs to either 15 a day or doing 20-30 every other day. It's probably going to be a very miserable time for me lol.
  • I've also been doing practice PTs every Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • I just did a full practice MBE yesterday (got a 174/200) and will be doing full practice written session (3 essays in AM, 2 essays/PT in the PM) next week.
  • While I'm not fully discounting my practice MBE score yesterday, it should be noted I recognized a good number of questions from Adaptibar and general MBE studying overall.
Looking forward to passing and finally moving on...
174???!!! Can you help us on how to improve MBE? Plz...?
I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel and YMMV, but here's how I "study" for MBEs...
  • I don't really bother with lectures and commercial outlines. Actually, I don't study them at all.
  • First thing each day, I do 30 questions (on Adaptibar) and as I'm solving them, I mark down questions I'm not sure about. Ex: I pick B on #8, but I was torn between B and C. I'll circle #8 on my scratch paper and jot down "B/C".
  • As a quick note, I do practice exams (instead of practice question mode) exclusively on adaptibar. I feel that doing 30 in one go is a better simulation of test conditions, especially timing-wise.
  • I then go through all the questions I got wrong AND questions I marked as not being sure about (whether I got them right or not).
  • I also, obviously, check how I'm doing on time. Even though 1m48s is the 'average' time to finish right on time, I'm aiming to average a lot quicker than that.
  • As I read Adaptibar's explanations, I spend enough time reviewing the questions until I understand why I got it wrong and why the right answer is the right answer.
  • If I'm not pressed for time, I go through the rest of the questions (i.e.the ones I got right and didn't mark as being unsure about)
  • I then write out the Adaptibar explanation on a google doc where I compile explanations for MBE questions
  • Every day, right before each 30-question practice run, I go through the google doc and read/edit the answer explanations from the day before. It's a good refresher. I try to read through the whole doc every other night. It's currently like 24-25 pages, so reading through it every night would be a bit too much.
  • If I didn't edit/trim the google doc, it would probably be 50+ pages long. So my rule of thumb is when I feel like I'm not struggling with a certain rule or fact pattern anymore, I delete the explanation on that from the google doc.
  • The best way to describe it is that after a while, you sort of see the questions a la Neo seeing the Matrix.
  • Besides using it for the 200-question practice yesterday, I haven't used Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics for my MBE practice this time around. I did however use it for last July, and I credit it with helping me to make a big jump on the MBEs (1490 scaled score). While you can learn some of the strategies intuitively with just Adaptibar, the Emanuel book helped set a firm foundation in terms of how to read questions, pinpoint what they're asking for, and anticipate/eliminate red herrings + trap answer choices. I'd highly recommend the book.
Hope this helps even a little bit!

This is a very good strategy imho. It's very similar to what I did last summer for the July exam.

I agree with this too: "The best way to describe it is that after a while, you sort of see the questions a la Neo seeing the Matrix."

Thank you for sharing your insight. My MBE miss list is getting longer too... -_-;;; and yes, S&T book is excellent. FinallyPassedTheBar and bigballerbrand, I'm curious, about how many questions did you have to do to achieve Neo's vision? I'm super frustrated...

Last July, I did about 900 questions on Adaptibar and 400-500 questions on S&T -- so 1300 to 1400 total. Right now, I'm already 1300 questions in (1100 on adaptibar, 200 on S&T) with another month to go.

I think things started clicking the 2 weeks leading up to the July exam. And I've been building on that since I started studying for the February exam right after Christmas.

Edit: But I should stress that I feel like it's been the QUALITY of studying/reviewing that's helped me more than the exact quantity of questions I've done. When I've been tired / burnt out, I've skipped MBE days altogether before. Like, since I did a 200-question practice on Wednesday, I'm not doing MBEs again until Sunday/Monda.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Re: February 2018 CA Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm

RationalJD wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:09 pm

Thank you for sharing your insight. My MBE miss list is getting longer too... -_-;;; and yes, S&T book is excellent. FinallyPassedTheBar and bigballerbrand, I'm curious, about how many questions did you have to do to achieve Neo's vision? I'm super frustrated...
I did about 2600+ questions in Adaptibar. Many questions repeated. But I went a little overboard. I do not think that many questions in necessarily required. It's just that I told myself July 2017 would be the last time I ever take the test.

onlyoncemore

Post by onlyoncemore » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:51 pm

Guys/gals, PSA from me: don't forget about the essays.
I did an essay day today and forgot how different it is to do an essay than MBE's. Crap.

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm

Fell off the wagon yesterday and trying to be really productive today. How's everyone else doing?

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm

onlythreemonths wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Fell off the wagon yesterday and trying to be really productive today. How's everyone else doing?
Just had a couple of days like that last week. Now better but kind of down because if I get again my adaptibar score (last time I exactly averaged on the MBE what I averaged on adaptibar), it means that I will have to be way better than I expect at my essays. I hate essays with all my heart.

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:05 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm
onlythreemonths wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 pm
Just had a couple of days like that last week. Now better but kind of down because if I get again my adaptibar score (last time I exactly averaged on the MBE what I averaged on adaptibar), it means that I will have to be way better than I expect at my essays. I hate essays with all my heart.
Same, dude. My Adaptibar score is shit today, so that's also making me feel really good about everything...

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm

onlythreemonths wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:05 pm
Same, dude. My Adaptibar score is shit today, so that's also making me feel really good about everything...
Don't focus too much on your daily score, just look at you overall average in this session. And in particular, at how you've been scoring since you started only mixed questions. That helps a ton because sometimes I get the random 40% on some sets of 10 and that really pisses me off! What's your average on adaptibar?

bigballerbrand

Post by bigballerbrand » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:06 pm

Did a three-hour block of essays -- PR (Corp crossover), Contracts/Remedies, and CA Evidence. I finished the first two in 2 hours and 10 minutes. It took me 90 minutes to finish Evidence. Blegh.

onlyoncemore

Post by onlyoncemore » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm
onlythreemonths wrote:
Don't focus too much on your daily score, just look at you overall average in this session. And in particular, at how you've been scoring since you started only mixed questions. That helps a ton because sometimes I get the random 40% on some sets of 10 and that really pisses me off! What's your average on adaptibar?
Definitely second KernKrafts advice.
I started Adaptibar at the beginning of my bar prep so my score is shit if I set the date range from November - February (54.4%). But If I change it to Jan - Feb, which is when I had almost done all subject review + doing mixed MBE's, then it changes to 61%. Definitely brightened my day when I did that. Also, I read on forums that Adaptibar is designed to feed you difficult questions as you go on so let's not be too hard on ourselves by the %s given. Jeebus knows we don't need any more of that.

A question about "Benchmark > State" section in Subject Performance. Am I correct in thinking that it gives the average % of all people doing Adaptibar for your state?

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:40 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:42 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:33 pm
onlythreemonths wrote:
Definitely second KernKrafts advice.
I started Adaptibar at the beginning of my bar prep so my score is shit if I set the date range from November - February (54.4%). But If I change it to Jan - Feb, which is when I had almost done all subject review + doing mixed MBE's, then it changes to 61%. Definitely brightened my day when I did that. Also, I read on forums that Adaptibar is designed to feed you difficult questions as you go on so let's not be too hard on ourselves by the %s given. Jeebus knows we don't need any more of that.

A question about "Benchmark > State" section in Subject Performance. Am I correct in thinking that it gives the average % of all people doing Adaptibar for your state?
You guys are right. Thanks for the advice. :)

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Just need to rant a bit...
Spoiler:
I've been doing 50 MBE questions and an essay or two per day. I feel like I'm not studying enough, but I also know I'm totally burned out. Every day is a struggle to get through those questions. I just need to stay disciplined for another 16 days. Almost there.

onlyoncemore

Post by onlyoncemore » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm

onlythreemonths wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Spoiler:
I've been doing 50 MBE questions and an essay or two per day. I feel like I'm not studying enough, but I also know I'm totally burned out. Every day is a struggle to get through those questions. I just need to stay disciplined for another 16 days. Almost there.
Aaaay~ you're not alone. And you're doing 50mbes and 1~2 essays a day? You're on top of your shit.
I've either hit the point of I-don't-give-a-fuck or am just exhausted.. I promised myself I'd do at least 30-40MBEs a day and squeak out an essay.... haven't been able to do that in the last few days at all. You're right. only 16 more days. Lets get these stupid questions and essay dooooonnneeeeeeeeeuuuuuugggghhhh.

bigballerbrand

Post by bigballerbrand » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:02 pm

T-minus two weeks until D-Day!

Spent yesterday finalizing my schedule for the stretch run...

Each day will basically consist of
  • 30 MBEs + Review
  • Two subjects a day, outlining 2-3 essays per subject -- and repeating as necessary
  • Memorizing essay rules rest of the day
  • Trying to go to bed on time lol

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 pm

Speaking of essays, how do you guys know which issues to talk about? do you have your own checklists or another technique? What's your method? Damn essays.

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 pm
onlythreemonths wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Spoiler:
Aaaay~ you're not alone. And you're doing 50mbes and 1~2 essays a day? You're on top of your shit.
I've either hit the point of I-don't-give-a-fuck or am just exhausted.. I promised myself I'd do at least 30-40MBEs a day and squeak out an essay.... haven't been able to do that in the last few days at all. You're right. only 16 more days. Lets get these stupid questions and essay dooooonnneeeeeeeeeuuuuuugggghhhh.
Yo I've gotten to the same part of not giving a fuck and/or exhaustion. I'm doing 50 MBE questions, but I feel like the quality of my studying has decreased significantly since November/December, so I don't really feel good about it at all. Ugh. You know how they say smiling tricks your brain into thinking you're happy? I'm trying to trick my brain into being motivated, so...

WE GOT THIS. LET'S CRANK THIS SHIT OUT.

bigballerbrand

Post by bigballerbrand » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I'm doing the July 2011 Contracts essay, and the call of the question is "Does Betty have an enforceable contract?"

Should you still discuss remedies even when the call doesn't specifically ask for it?

thelawdude

Post by thelawdude » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 pm

First time test taker here.

Do you guys suggest that I go through the entire Barbri outline (or another source of black letter law) before starting practice MBE/Essays? If not, how do you guys recommend approaching a study schedule?

An example of my current study schedule would look something like this:
Now-early May (Go through Barbri Outline/1 PT each week)
early May-July (MRE 4 days a week, Essays 3 days a week)

But I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend so much time with the outline. I generally learn topics slower. It takes me a long time to get through each topic in the Barbri outline (5-7 days). So, it would take me roughly 2-3 months to get through all 13 topics. (This is without doing any type of practice questions.) But, I study better when I learn the black letter laws first before doing practice problems. I studied for the MPRE by going through the Barbri PR Outline first and then beginning the practice exam, for example.

I know this post is a bit out of topic with this particular thread, but I didn't want to create a separate thread. Moreover, the people in this thread have likely tried a lot of different study methods, so I respect your opinions. Thanks.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

thelawdude wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:29 pm
First time test taker here.

Do you guys suggest that I go through the entire Barbri outline (or another source of black letter law) before starting practice MBE/Essays? If not, how do you guys recommend approaching a study schedule?

An example of my current study schedule would look something like this:
Now-early May (Go through Barbri Outline/1 PT each week)
early May-July (MRE 4 days a week, Essays 3 days a week)

But I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend so much time with the outline. I generally learn topics slower. It takes me a long time to get through each topic in the Barbri outline (5-7 days). So, it would take me roughly 2-3 months to get through all 13 topics. (This is without doing any type of practice questions.) But, I study better when I learn the black letter laws first before doing practice problems. I studied for the MPRE by going through the Barbri PR Outline first and then beginning the practice exam, for example.

I know this post is a bit out of topic with this particular thread, but I didn't want to create a separate thread. Moreover, the people in this thread have likely tried a lot of different study methods, so I respect your opinions. Thanks.

I suggest reviewing outlines on the same day you are doing MBE and essays. Don't wait until after you have reviewed all your BLL before doing practice questions...because you'll never be able to review all the BLL. Just get your hands dirty with the practice questions at the same time your are reviewing BLL. I learned a lot of BLL just by doing the questions and reading the answers.

FinallyPassedTheBar

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:59 pm
Speaking of essays, how do you guys know which issues to talk about? do you have your own checklists or another technique? What's your method? Damn essays.
I used acronyms to memorize the key issues. I forgot what they are now though.

a male human

Post by a male human » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Would something like this help?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67sk3f7uskesd ... w.pdf?dl=0

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:54 pm
KernKraft wrote:
I used acronyms to memorize the key issues. I forgot what they are now though.
a male human wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:08 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Would something like this help?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/67sk3f7uskesd ... w.pdf?dl=0
I'm basically using both acronyms and checklists that are definitely similar to the ones from the link! Thanks guys for the input. Hopefully that means I'm on the right path. Either way, this time I won't take any more chances: I'll take a little break after the exam and start studying for July right away. Let's see if 5 months will be enough.

RANT ALERT
Spoiler:
It bothers me so much because after two tries you really understand what it takes to pass this exam and it's so ridiculous... It's all about using kind-of-useful legal information but in a completely sterile and unnatural way that will never come up in the real world. Whoever came up with the idea of standardized tests must be in hell right now. Ok, rant over.

onlythreemonths

Post by onlythreemonths » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:54 pm

Fewer than two weeks left, guys... I'm getting super anxious and stressed out. AAAAAAAHHHHH.

a male human

Post by a male human » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:56 pm

They say the last week or two are when things start to click. Hang in there! Those "onlythreemonths" are almost over.

onlyoncemore

Post by onlyoncemore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

ah, hell.
I was scoring 70+% on Adaptibar the last few days and feeling good.
DROPS DOWN TO 50% TODAY. How the hell are people averaging 80% on this. I want.
Spoiler:
god damn this stupid fucking test :x :x :x

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm

onlyoncemore wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm
ah, hell.
I was scoring 70+% on Adaptibar the last few days and feeling good.
DROPS DOWN TO 50% TODAY. How the hell are people averaging 80% on this. I want.
Spoiler:
god damn this stupid fucking test :x :x :x
I'm averaging 70% in the past 1500+ questions and in the last 3 days I get 30-60% max. Hopefully it's just Adaptibar algorythm feeding us the worst questions (in the areas we are weak at). This patented technology is so demotivating lately :lol: kill me