As you start Bar Prep -- Be sure to have other (non-study) things to do

bvest

As you start Bar Prep -- Be sure to have other (non-study) things to do

Post by bvest » Tue May 18, 2021 12:08 pm

Bar prep takes a long time in days but not in hours/day. You'll start out with like 3-5 hours of study and then increase as you go along, but once you get to 6-8 hours, you're probably about maxed out.

On top of that, a significant part of bar prep is just nervous dread. Have something you can do to relax your mind. I built a deck and binge-re-watched several shows. (posting this today because pictures of my deck demolition just popped up in my FB memories).

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Re: As you start Bar Prep -- Be sure to have other (non-study) things to do

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:18 pm

yup. work out, make sure you're still seeing friends, etc... Assuming you don't have to work, bar prep should be about as chill as it gets from here on out.

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm

also obligatory figure out if you're in an auto pass state/even if you're not dedicate 90%+ of your time to the multiple choice question prep/remember that you can score passing points on essays by entirely making up the law so long as you apply the made up law.

Story

Post by Story » Tue May 18, 2021 12:54 pm

Another tip: don’t take on any big tasks during bar prep, IMHO.

If you smoke, don’t try to quit smoking during bar prep. For example.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm
also obligatory figure out if you're in an auto pass state/even if you're not dedicate 90%+ of your time to the multiple choice question prep/remember that you can score passing points on essays by entirely making up the law so long as you apply the made up law.
the efficacy of this strategy cannot be overstated especially if you are good at taking multiple choice exams to begin with (and there's a good chance you are if you got into law school)

I'm sure there are takers out there who would be better off focusing on the state Qs (non-autopass states like texas iirc?) but they cover such a wide and unpredictable selection of law you're still probably better off focusing on developing essay bullshit skills than actually committing every last point of those state laws to memory

the MBE is wholly predictable and gameable which makes it way less daunting a thing to prep for. rote memorization + more practice testing in = better test results out

bvest

Post by bvest » Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:
the efficacy of this strategy cannot be overstated especially if you are good at taking multiple choice exams to begin with (and there's a good chance you are if you got into law school)

I'm sure there are takers out there who would be better off focusing on the state Qs (non-autopass states like texas iirc?) but they cover such a wide and unpredictable selection of law you're still probably better off focusing on developing essay bullshit skills than actually committing every last point of those state laws to memory

the MBE is wholly predictable and gameable which makes it way less daunting a thing to prep for. rote memorization + more practice testing in = better test results out
Old Texas bar exam was 40% MBE. But Texas is now a UBE state at 270. Is that considered autopass?

BlendedUnicorn
Big Tent Energy

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm

bvest wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm
ymmv wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 1:17 pm
BlendedUnicorn wrote:

Old Texas bar exam was 40% MBE. But Texas is now a UBE state at 270. Is that considered autopass?
you'd have to dig up old desert fox posts on TLS to be sure but I think yes. If not autopass, it's close enough if you can hit like 20th percentile on the essays.

waldorf

Post by waldorf » Tue May 18, 2021 1:45 pm

Story wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 12:54 pm
Another tip: don’t take on any big tasks during bar prep, IMHO.

If you smoke, don’t try to quit smoking during bar prep. For example.
Don't plan a wedding or anything like that either.

I was beyond exhausted by the end of bar prep, and I took it pretty easy the first 5 weeks or so and then crammed for 3 weeks (my preferred learning style). Learning that much information and doing the same tedious tasks day after day really takes a lot out of you.

pancakes3

Post by pancakes3 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:00 pm

Anywhere that's UBE, or weighs MBE 50% makes autopass mathematically possible. States that weigh MBE 40% technically don't make autopass possible.

Autopass target is to hit 80% but 70+% is actual autopass score bc of scaling, and really, 65% is autopass bc nobody gets 0's on their essays.

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Post by ymmv » Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 pm

I’m just out of touch enough not to have realized Texas went UBE this year.

bvest

Post by bvest » Tue May 18, 2021 3:46 pm

ymmv wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:07 pm
I’m just out of touch enough not to have realized Texas went UBE this year.
They started accepting it last year but only offering it this year, so I feel like a lot if it got missed in the total clusterfuck that was 2020.