July 2018 California Bar Exam

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 pm

JakeTapper wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:10 pm
horriblegb wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:16 am
JakeTapper wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:46 pm
Anyone care to tell me how the grading will be scaled if you're just taking the Attorney's Exam? I'm confused as to how these x/100 get to a scaled score and what I need to do in terms of points to pass. Not that it really matters to my studying. The extremely low pass rate on the Attorney's Exam blows my mind. Thanks Central District California for making me do this.
You must be fed as well. I had to take Feb 18 for that reason. Not really sure about scoring or scaling, but I know because it was so subjective I elected to take the general exam instead.
Ugh. I've seen people saying thats the way to go but I just can't stomach it. I genuinely hate multiple choice and consider myself a good to great essay exam writer. It's been 5 years since I took a different bar and have no idea how I fared re: multiple choice v. essay, so I just went with the Attorney's exam. The pass rate is daunting as well.

Am going fed though, yes. I applied to positions all over the country, and interviewed in a ton. I think CDCAL and one other were the only ones that require state bar passage. Of course, I got that one. C'est la vie.
How did you get this clerkship? You’re already an attorney in another state?

JakeTapper
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by JakeTapper » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:33 pm

Not a clerkship (though I have clerked elsewhere) I was referring to the fact that the CDCAL local rules demand federal govt attorneys take the state bar.

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:59 am

As a momentary distraction and exercise in procrastination, anyone care to come up with essay predictions? They're as useful as all the other predictions by the so called pros on the internet (see "useless). Here's mine

UCC
Evidence (I'll say California, but they're almost the same anyway)
Business Associations (it's due)
Civ Pro (fed)
PR/Trusts

This is based on what was on the last bar exam, and some things they haven't tested in awhile. Of course, as February showed, they can test anything at any time and even mix and match while calling it one subject (e.g. real property and Takings referred to as being an exclusively property essay, which, okay, yeah, but not really).

Anyone else?

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:54 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:59 am
As a momentary distraction and exercise in procrastination, anyone care to come up with essay predictions? They're as useful as all the other predictions by the so called pros on the internet (see "useless). Here's mine

UCC
Evidence (I'll say California, but they're almost the same anyway)
Business Associations (it's due)
Civ Pro (fed)
PR/Trusts

This is based on what was on the last bar exam, and some things they haven't tested in awhile. Of course, as February showed, they can test anything at any time and even mix and match while calling it one subject (e.g. real property and Takings referred to as being an exclusively property essay, which, okay, yeah, but not really).

Anyone else?
I think that if they really want to be assholes, they can test torts again. For the 3rd time in a row. Last time they tested nuisance/trespass/negligence and labeled it as "real property". Maybe they did it so this time testing torts won't count as testing torts 3 times in a row. This is pure random speculation based on the sole variable that they may be trying to work against the prediction game and predictions are usually based on the previosly tested subjects as they are labeled, not as they are tested. They even considered takings as real property where all the bar prep I've used treat it as con law.

I'm also wondering if for PR they will test again just a minuscular part of it to focus more on unpredictable subjects (like they did last time).

It will be interesting to see. Now I'll stop procrastinating and get back to study because it's already fucking July.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm

How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am

a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
Last edited by a male human on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ymmv
Posts: 9915
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:24 am
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by ymmv » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Oh my god please stop.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm

a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:30 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:54 pm
I think that if they really want to be assholes, they can test torts again. For the 3rd time in a row. Last time they tested nuisance/trespass/negligence and labeled it as "real property". Maybe they did it so this time testing torts won't count as testing torts 3 times in a row. This is pure random speculation based on the sole variable that they may be trying to work against the prediction game and predictions are usually based on the previosly tested subjects as they are labeled, not as they are tested. They even considered takings as real property where all the bar prep I've used treat it as con law.

I'm also wondering if for PR they will test again just a minuscular part of it to focus more on unpredictable subjects (like they did last time).

It will be interesting to see. Now I'll stop procrastinating and get back to study because it's already fucking July.
Oh yeah, I remember telling people that that essay was a combo of half-ass, torts, real property, and con law. Then they just called it real property and made me look like an ass. They should've thrown in a fact stating that a lawyer walked by that lady's house while talking on a cellphone failed to inform a client that a settlement offer had been made. They could still call it real property because it didn't happen while he was in orbit around the planet.

And that PR, thing... I'm slogging through that subject right this moment and very much wondering if it's worth it. Thus, the procrastination here too.

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
Oh! Is there gonna be a meet n' greet where we can all get your autograph? That'd be neato. Man, a real life celebrity right here!

JakeTapper
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:04 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by JakeTapper » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Due to some unforeseen work stuff, I’m down on time to study. Any chance I can pass the attorney’s exam with like 15 days of studying? Since people will ask - 5 year big law, 2 clerkships, 25% or so at t10. Essays were my forte, as was cramming, in law school, but it’s been a while. Passed NY bar in 2012 with about 3 full weeks of studying.

Obviously no one knows. Just trying to gauge anyone’s thoughts.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm
a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?
I'm assuming you never took the bar exam. I feel like being humble and changing your attitude are the ways to go for this beast of an exam. Don't get me wrong, you may still pass first try, but you are definitely not maximizing your chances.

And to respond to your question, no. Paradoxically, law school and the bar exam have very little in common. Feel free to believe us (or the ton of info available online) or to see for yourself in 3 weeks.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am

KernKraft wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm
a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?
I'm assuming you never took the bar exam. I feel like being humble and changing your attitude are the ways to go for this beast of an exam. Don't get me wrong, you may still pass first try, but you are definitely not maximizing your chances.

And to respond to your question, no. Paradoxically, law school and the bar exam have very little in common. Feel free to believe us (or the ton of info available online) or to see for yourself in 3 weeks.


No offense, but are you in a good position to be advising people on how to pass?

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am

Stirfry wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am
KernKraft wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm
a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?
I'm assuming you never took the bar exam. I feel like being humble and changing your attitude are the ways to go for this beast of an exam. Don't get me wrong, you may still pass first try, but you are definitely not maximizing your chances.

And to respond to your question, no. Paradoxically, law school and the bar exam have very little in common. Feel free to believe us (or the ton of info available online) or to see for yourself in 3 weeks.


No offense, but are you in a good position to be advising people on how to pass?
Yes. I’ve consistently improved my score and actually last time passed the written portion so yeah, what I did worked. It looks like the one who hasn’t a clue about the exam is you. But no offense.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:54 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am
Stirfry wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am
KernKraft wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm
a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?
I'm assuming you never took the bar exam. I feel like being humble and changing your attitude are the ways to go for this beast of an exam. Don't get me wrong, you may still pass first try, but you are definitely not maximizing your chances.

And to respond to your question, no. Paradoxically, law school and the bar exam have very little in common. Feel free to believe us (or the ton of info available online) or to see for yourself in 3 weeks.


No offense, but are you in a good position to be advising people on how to pass?
Yes. I’ve consistently improved my score and actually last time passed the written portion so yeah, what I did worked. It looks like the one who hasn’t a clue about the exam is you. But no offense.
Lol ok little guy. I don’t want to be mean, so good luck in July.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:54 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:45 am
Stirfry wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am
KernKraft wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:42 pm
a male human wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:54 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
What’s

You don't write like someone who went to HYS lmao

Why essays? Because you'll be writing essays on the bar exam. Because bar essays are different from law-school essays. The exam doesn't ask you to "please memorize these rules," answer multiple-choice questions for PR, or even test on the same things as the MPRE. The point of preparing now is to do what you're going to be doing on the test.

Why does anyone even prepare at all if we all went to law school and "know how to write essays"?

I mean it's really up to you, though. I may be missing some insights that only an HYS grad can see.

Please follow up by next Monday on what you decided to do for PR.
What’s the difference between a bar essay and a law school essay? It’s IRAC. I know how to irac, so I jut need to learn the R part. I think mpre questions might be a good way to learn the R. Do you not know how to IRAC?
I'm assuming you never took the bar exam. I feel like being humble and changing your attitude are the ways to go for this beast of an exam. Don't get me wrong, you may still pass first try, but you are definitely not maximizing your chances.

And to respond to your question, no. Paradoxically, law school and the bar exam have very little in common. Feel free to believe us (or the ton of info available online) or to see for yourself in 3 weeks.


No offense, but are you in a good position to be advising people on how to pass?
Yes. I’ve consistently improved my score and actually last time passed the written portion so yeah, what I did worked. It looks like the one who hasn’t a clue about the exam is you. But no offense.
Lol ok little guy. I don’t want to be mean, so good luck in July.
Thank you, sweetie. And let us know in November if your strategy of ignoring the advice of who already went through it paid off. I'm sure you'll pass.

EDIT: Oh, and please be mean. That turns me on, big boy <3

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am

KernKraft wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:23 pm
Thank you, sweetie. And let us know in November if your strategy of ignoring the advice of who already went through it paid off. I'm sure you'll pass.

EDIT: Oh, and please be mean. That turns me on, big boy <3
I'm gonna guess he's someone who just got accepted into law school and his trying to have fun trolling forums. What's fun about being an obnoxious tool? Meh.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a two day break from this studying thing. It's part experiment, part psychological recovery as I've watched my MBE scores go from the low 70% when starting out again, to the low-mid 60s. I actually had this delusion that with enough work, and building on my already solid 70%+, that I could get into the mid 80s or so by now.

I suppose the notion of building on an already solid foundation was pretty stupid. I mean, not really though. It makes all the sense in the world.

I did pass the MBE in February, so this is disconcerting to say the least. I've been missing things I know, and I can't chalk that up to anything except fatigue. Or maybe the fact that I thought that the FBI stealing into a foreign country, forcibly abducting a U.S. citizen, and then bringing him back to the U.S. without a warrant had to be totally fucking unlawful. Turns out its totally fine. I don't remember knowing that ever. Like, it's not the kind of thing I'd forget.

But really though, my crim/pro scores are fine. It's the precipitous drop in Evidence that's worrisome. I killed it on the MBE last time. But civ pro is still rough and was bad on the MBE too. Those two subjects count for about 60% of my wrong scores. Obviously, there's work to be done there--and that's encouraging in a way--I know what's wrong.

I woke up yesterday morning, after having not shaved in two months (almost a full beard now). I thought it'd be cool to give myself the Lemmy from Motorhead look.

It wasn't cool.

How did I not know better?

And maybe that's the point; I need a couple of days to allow my brain to recover. There's books and papers and notecards all over my bed and room, and I really, really, need to do laundry and clean up around the house. Maybe get my haircut too. It's been about 3.5 months since my last one. God, I look like hell.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am

Opoponax wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:44 am
KernKraft wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:23 pm
Thank you, sweetie. And let us know in November if your strategy of ignoring the advice of who already went through it paid off. I'm sure you'll pass.

EDIT: Oh, and please be mean. That turns me on, big boy <3
I'm gonna guess he's someone who just got accepted into law school and his trying to have fun trolling forums. What's fun about being an obnoxious tool? Meh.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of a two day break from this studying thing. It's part experiment, part psychological recovery as I've watched my MBE scores go from the low 70% when starting out again, to the low-mid 60s. I actually had this delusion that with enough work, and building on my already solid 70%+, that I could get into the mid 80s or so by now.

I suppose the notion of building on an already solid foundation was pretty stupid. I mean, not really though. It makes all the sense in the world.

I did pass the MBE in February, so this is disconcerting to say the least. I've been missing things I know, and I can't chalk that up to anything except fatigue. Or maybe the fact that I thought that the FBI stealing into a foreign country, forcibly abducting a U.S. citizen, and then bringing him back to the U.S. without a warrant had to be totally fucking unlawful. Turns out its totally fine. I don't remember knowing that ever. Like, it's not the kind of thing I'd forget.

But really though, my crim/pro scores are fine. It's the precipitous drop in Evidence that's worrisome. I killed it on the MBE last time. But civ pro is still rough and was bad on the MBE too. Those two subjects count for about 60% of my wrong scores. Obviously, there's work to be done there--and that's encouraging in a way--I know what's wrong.

I woke up yesterday morning, after having not shaved in two months (almost a full beard now). I thought it'd be cool to give myself the Lemmy from Motorhead look.

It wasn't cool.

How did I not know better?

And maybe that's the point; I need a couple of days to allow my brain to recover. There's books and papers and notecards all over my bed and room, and I really, really, need to do laundry and clean up around the house. Maybe get my haircut too. It's been about 3.5 months since my last one. God, I look like hell.
Yeah, I shouldn't have fed the troll. Anyway, sometimes a reboot is what we need. Go get a haircut and a massage or something else that relaxes you and don't think about studying for a couple of days.

About civ pro and evidence, they are really tough. I still haven't figured out civ pro well and still make a lot of mistakes so I don't know. Regarding evidence, it really helps knowing in your head a list of all out of court statement that can be admitted (ie: exemptions, exceptions, and when not offered for the truth of matter asserted). So anytime the right answer doesn't pop out immediately, you quickly ask yourself: "is it for the truth of the matter asserted? If not, it's probably admissible. If yes, ask the following: Is it an admission (judicial, adoptive, or party-opponent)? Is it a prior statement of somebody (prior consistent or incosistent)? Is the declarant unavailable? If so, rule out former testimony, statement against interest, and dying declaration. Is it an excited utterance, present sense impression, business/public record? Is it a then-existing state of mind, or medical diagnosis? A recorder recollection or learned treatise (still can't admit these two but can read them to jury)?

It's a little cumbersome to ask yourself that every evidence question regarding admissibility but if you learn the checklist well, it will be much faster. Also, unless the right answer is "Inadmissible, because it's hearsay not within any exception", it's faster to just try to eliminate the answer choices one by one. I usually use this just when I'm trying to confirm that the evidence is inadmissible. Hope this helps you.

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 am

KernKraft wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21 am
About civ pro and evidence, they are really tough. I still haven't figured out civ pro well and still make a lot of mistakes so I don't know. Regarding evidence, it really helps knowing in your head a list of all out of court statement that can be admitted (ie: exemptions, exceptions, and when not offered for the truth of matter asserted). So anytime the right answer doesn't pop out immediately, you quickly ask yourself: "is it for the truth of the matter asserted? If not, it's probably admissible. If yes, ask the following: Is it an admission (judicial, adoptive, or party-opponent)? Is it a prior statement of somebody (prior consistent or incosistent)? Is the declarant unavailable? If so, rule out former testimony, statement against interest, and dying declaration. Is it an excited utterance, present sense impression, business/public record? Is it a then-existing state of mind, or medical diagnosis? A recorder recollection or learned treatise (still can't admit these two but can read them to jury)?

Thanks. :)

Anyway, weird question that's not urgent for anyone who knows: is replevin not an available remedy for sellers under the UCC? It's definitely available for buyers, but I can't find anything about sellers. It seems like a no brainer; if buyer doesn't pay, but still has the goods, and won't give them back, seller should be able to go get his stuff.

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Someone please explain the time rule to me in community property

Jimmy
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Jimmy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:40 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:36 pm
Someone please explain the time rule to me in community property
Isn't it just (years of service while married / total years of service)?

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am

Welp, I'm fucking burnt out. Just wanted to say that. Anyway...

I think I'm going to do the PT first during the afternoon session. I'd kicked this idea around before, but didn't do it. However, after a practice PT yesterday in which another 10 minutes would've given me a significantly better score, I think I'm gonna go ahead and knock it out before doing the essays. Always during the last 5 minutes or so, I find myself rushing to get everything in, hastily trying to reorganize, etc, and not once has that ever turned out well for me.

Yesterday, during a practice PT, I had just about everything there that the model answer said should be in there, but it was kind of all over the place. Another 10 minutes would've made a big difference. Also, I can do almost any essay in 55 minutes and if I am rushing at the end, it's usually to add in minor points, or more often, I'm being too verbose; and the PT is weighted heavier than the essays.

It seems like a no-brainer, but if I was so damn smart I wouldn't be retaking this damn thing. Any thoughts are appreciated.

justanotheruser
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by justanotheruser » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:24 am

Opoponax wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:17 am
Welp, I'm fucking burnt out. Just wanted to say that. Anyway...

I think I'm going to do the PT first during the afternoon session. I'd kicked this idea around before, but didn't do it. However, after a practice PT yesterday in which another 10 minutes would've given me a significantly better score, I think I'm gonna go ahead and knock it out before doing the essays. Always during the last 5 minutes or so, I find myself rushing to get everything in, hastily trying to reorganize, etc, and not once has that ever turned out well for me.

Yesterday, during a practice PT, I had just about everything there that the model answer said should be in there, but it was kind of all over the place. Another 10 minutes would've made a big difference. Also, I can do almost any essay in 55 minutes and if I am rushing at the end, it's usually to add in minor points, or more often, I'm being too verbose; and the PT is weighted heavier than the essays.

It seems like a no-brainer, but if I was so damn smart I wouldn't be retaking this damn thing. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Someone asked the exact same question on TLS, so here's my answer from that thread:

This was big for me. I passed the CA bar for 2/18, but I might have passed the 7/17 bar if I had managed my time better for the Performance Test.

My goal the final time around was to be done reading + outlining in no more than 45 minutes. The thing that I struggled with in past exams was overdoing the outline. I always thought it made sense to outline AND write as you go, but I found that this muddled everything up and made everything more complicated. To put it another way, I was wasting time because outlining/writing as I went created more work for me to edit/organize/etc. Incorrect outlining led to bloated notes to sort through.

Big change for me was that I kept my outline super simple -- as a basic roadmap. I didn't even bother outlining/highlighting as I read through the library + files either -- I'd end up forgetting about them anyhow. For each legal issue, I'd quickly note the basic law, notable exceptions, and key/ambiguous facts in the library. For me, I didn't waste time getting into the weeds of the case file -- the graders don't care about how well you organize or regurgitate the cases if you're not doing any analysis or highlighting the facts in the library. Instead, just finding the key parts in the cases allowed me to spend more time going through the library and finding/weaving facts into my outline as I began writing.

Good luck!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest