Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:29 am

KernKraft wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:28 pm
Opoponax wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:12 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:48 am
We have a lot in common lol. I’m actually amazed about the fact that not as many people as I expected express their anger about the CA bar/NCBE sadism. And I was still hoping for a decrease in the cut score. Sigh.
I felt much more comfortable pointing out the bullshit of the CBE after it was revealed they'd stopped counting those who didn't finish the exam. And most lawyers think the bar exam is b.s. too. The fact that California takers routinely have the highest scores on the MBE, but the highest failure right is telling too. When an essay score can be downgraded e.g. from an 80 to a 60, something's seriously wrong.

But whatever. Barring several out of far left field essay topics, I think I'm gonna pass this time. Then I can go on my search for aggrieved people who have been oppressed by the CBE. Or maybe I just drop the whole thing and get on with life. :)
According the the CA State Bar, who fails the CBX is incapable. Pass rates are dropping because applicants are worse. They explicitly, repeatedly said that. A good chunk of the people who fail the CBX get a score that would allow them to practice anywhere else. So, according to the CA State Bar, unless you pass the CBX, or get a 1440 in the jurisdiction where you passed, you shouldn't be a lawyer because you are not minimally competent. If that was true, there would be a difference in lawyers sued for malpractice/disbarred in jurisdictions with a lower cut score. There is not, it's been shown in those trial by countless witnesses. It would be much better for their reputations if they just told the truth. "We really have to do this because everybody wants to move to California and practice here. Please, allow us to put a cap on this number of lawyers." But no, they just don't give a shit. Sad. Hopefully in November this will just be a bad memory and we will be able to have won their little power game.
Preach! Except for Delaware (and really, how many people care about Delaware?), I'd be a lawyer in any other state right now. And yeah, that whole, "Takers are idiots now" argument is insult added to injury.

But if they actually admitted they were artificially keeping pass rates low to protect the field, they'd be in deep shit and they know it. So they'll keeping plugging away with the plausible deniability of super high standards.

Bah. I'm off to YouTube videos about how different things would be if the British would've won the revolution, or the Top Ten Things I Never Knew About the Karate Kid. I used to really enjoy things intellectual. Now my brain just wants candy.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:37 am

Okay, so I get to Youtube and this video is first in line.

It's pretty much accurate as to takers vs. the California Bar Exam

JakeTapper

Post by JakeTapper » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm

Shit.

LoganCouture

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm

JakeTapper wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm
Shit.

FrogNToad

Post by FrogNToad » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:49 am

LoganCouture wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:15 pm
JakeTapper wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:59 pm
Shit.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:13 pm

I want to move to a district with the Consent to Fight rule.

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:52 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:13 pm
I know a guy in that neighborhood. Once his hand got sucked in a ‘98 landmower. You know, the ones without the protective screen. Apparently he is rich now.

mr_poboho

Post by mr_poboho » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:57 am

Opoponax wrote:
Sure enough, there was a consent to fight question. LOL

FrogNToad

Post by FrogNToad » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm

One thing that I learned as a result of the bar: get a fucking hotel within walking distance of the center so I don't have to get there early for parking.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm

mr_poboho wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:57 am
Opoponax wrote:
So far, I haven't spoken to anyone who's ever heard of this. I did a quick google search and apparently it is a thing in some states. But my top result yielded a Canadian law on it.

Man, I think the written went okay for the most part. I think doing the PT first may have been what put me over the top, and I had the good fortune to review California's domestic abuse rules just this past Sunday night (don't tell me luck doesn't play a part in this damn thing). But the MBE... In the 4,500 or so questions I've practiced, I don't ever remember being so utterly bamboozled. In practice, even when I chose the wrong answer, it was based on some coherent notion of what the answer should be. What I'm hoping is that the WTF moments aren't as numerous as they seem---that they stand out a lot more. But damn, it sure feels like pure guessing happened a lot. And some of the real property questions... I thought I'd seen every possible iteration of deed question possible. Apparently not.

Fuck. Is it November yet?

KernKraft

Post by KernKraft » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:50 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:07 pm
mr_poboho wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:57 am
Opoponax wrote:
So far, I haven't spoken to anyone who's ever heard of this. I did a quick google search and apparently it is a thing in some states. But my top result yielded a Canadian law on it.

Man, I think the written went okay for the most part. I think doing the PT first may have been what put me over the top, and I had the good fortune to review California's domestic abuse rules just this past Sunday night (don't tell me luck doesn't play a part in this damn thing). But the MBE... In the 4,500 or so questions I've practiced, I don't ever remember being so utterly bamboozled. In practice, even when I chose the wrong answer, it was based on some coherent notion of what the answer should be. What I'm hoping is that the WTF moments aren't as numerous as they seem---that they stand out a lot more. But damn, it sure feels like pure guessing happened a lot. And some of the real property questions... I thought I'd seen every possible iteration of deed question possible. Apparently not.

Fuck. Is it November yet?
I'm really hoping that we are freaking out just because we only remember the pure guessing moments. We can still get something like 45 questions wrong and still get a passing MBE score. Hopefully a bunch of those WTF were experimental, and, at least statistically, we may have guessed 25% of those pure WTF ones. I wish I could hibernate and wake up on November 16th. And they better fucking not be a week late with the results this time.

justanotheruser

Post by justanotheruser » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:02 am

Finally passed the damn thing in Feb. 2018 after 5 tries...

I was doing quite well on Adaptibar (80% on 1700 questions), but I felt like I guessed on at least 50% of the questions. Think a good number of those WTF / 50-50 questions will turn out to be experimental. Also, if you've put in the work and have a process on the MBE, it's likely not going to let you down either.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm

The day approacheth.

I should've just bought a cabin in the woods in Montana and lived as a fucking hermit.

a male human

Post by a male human » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm
I should've just bought a cabin in the woods in Montana and lived as a fucking hermit.
I've thought about that too.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:25 pm

a male human wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:05 pm
Opoponax wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:49 pm
I've thought about that too.
Park ranger. That's what I wanna do. I live in a lovely area of California and have taken a job that's relatively close to, and has much to do with nature. I'll just put it this way: no one is ever going to show up to a law office to barbecue their venison or duck wrapped in bacon that they shot the day before. No, I'm not kidding. And yeah, it's not legal experience, but fuck working in a law office.

I swear to Buddha, if it wasn't for the loans, I'd just call this whole thing a learning experience on the level of being a POW in Vietnam, and spend the rest of my days working on California public land.

Unless I passed. Then it all will have been worth it... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Take it easy today and tomorrow everyone! Do some exercise tonight or something to wear you out so you'll sleep soundly.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am

It's about 7 a.m. and I've already gotten "Good luck! I know you passed!" texts from people.

That's the worst part. I can deal with the personal failure, but having to tell people (again) that I failed is like being paraded naked down the street, while the villagers chant "Shame. Shame. Shame."

HelloYesThisIsDog

Post by HelloYesThisIsDog » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am

Opoponax wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:01 am
It's about 7 a.m. and I've already gotten "Good luck! I know you passed!" texts from people.

That's the worst part. I can deal with the personal failure, but having to tell people (again) that I failed is like being paraded naked down the street, while the villagers chant "Shame. Shame. Shame."
Nobody worth speaking to will shame you like that. And everyone going through it is not going to judge you. We've all been through this, and your value as a person is not at all based on the bar.

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:22 pm

x-post
ymmv wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 pm
CA results up online for takers (public list goes up Sunday)

a male human

Post by a male human » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:42 pm

Lowest pass rate for July/Fall. Best of luck to everyone still lingering on LSL

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm

I passed. I would've posted sooner, but I was on the phone all Friday night, and then... well, I didn't feel well yesterday ... for some reason.

For whatever it's worth, I think my PT made the difference. I had to have killed the MBE too, even though it didn't feel like it. I felt terrible about my essays, except for Cal Evidence and Conlaw.

I don't know if the Onetimers bar calculator is worth a damn, but getting a passing score based on what I thought my scores were always required a high PT score and a better than minimal MBE passing score.

I would love to give advice on what it was that actually made the difference, but the fact is that I'll probably never know because we don't get our scores.

That said, my approach was to perfectly copy the PT model answer styles. But I'm naturally good at that--at copying writing styles.

I worked the living shit out of MBE questions because at least the MBE is out of California's control. I used Barbri's questions, but also questions from Emanuelle, and importantly, the questions you can buy from the NCBEX (due to them being actual questions).

I wrote so many essays. God, I don't know how many. A rough estimate would be around 130-150. But the emphasis was primarily on the MBE subjects because between those and the MBE + the PT, you're looking at ~85% of the bar exam. I do include Remedies as an MBE subject though because they can be an essay unto themselves, or as part of contracts, torts, or real property essay.

But again, I can't say with certainty why I passed this time. Maybe I actually guessed right on the essays and they were better than I thought. Hell, I really don't know.

If you didn't pass, I'm sorry. I know how it feels and it's fucking awful.

Persistence. That's what it took for me. I was a lousy law student and hated law school, so my only choice was to angrily grind away at this thing until I finally got passed it.

a male human

Post by a male human » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm

Congrats Opopnax!

"I worked the living shit out of MBE questions because at least the MBE is out of California's control." This is such a telling sentiment

ymmv

Post by ymmv » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:40 pm

It’s the way to go. Fuck the state essay lottery. And ’grats!

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm

a male human wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Congrats Opopnax!

"I worked the living shit out of MBE questions because at least the MBE is out of California's control." This is such a telling sentiment
I kind of think so too. To me, the grading process for California's written will always be mysterious--and unfair. For example that whole grading in groups of 5 points thing. Theoretically, that means anywhere from 7-28 raw points that you can have taken from you/not get credit for. And how does that work out to scaled points? Hell if I know. But I know it could've been the difference between pass or fail in February.

So the MBE is at least something that's objectively graded.

I'm considering taking the bar in Oregon in February. Somebody call the paddy wagon and have the guys in the white suits throw a net over me.

a male human

Post by a male human » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm
a male human wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Congrats Opopnax!

I kind of think so too. To me, the grading process for California's written will always be mysterious--and unfair. For example that whole grading in groups of 5 points thing. Theoretically, that means anywhere from 7-28 raw points that you can have taken from you/not get credit for. And how does that work out to scaled points? Hell if I know. But I know it could've been the difference between pass or fail in February.

So the MBE is at least something that's objectively graded.

I'm considering taking the bar in Oregon in February. Somebody call the paddy wagon and have the guys in the white suits throw a net over me.
Yeah, it's not very granular, but to be fair, it's the best they can do for a subjective task like essays. MEEs are graded on a 0-6 scale, for example, so that's even fewer steps than CA essays technically have (40-100 in 5-point steps and the possibility of 2.5 increments upon regrade).

I had someone tell me she was 4 pts away from passing in Feb, skipped July, and is now giving up. It was pretty sad for me to hear. So I get where you're coming from.