Long-time users: please note that the prosilver and Allanstyle-subsilver styles will be phased out in the coming months due to upcoming site update incompatibilities. If you use either style, you can change back to the default proflat style at any time in your User Control Panel, or simply wait for the update to do so automatically. Thanks for your patience, and apologies to any folks who prefer the old look.

July 2018 California Bar Exam

Opoponax

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:02 pm

a male human wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:01 pm
Opoponax wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:54 pm
a male human wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:32 pm
Congrats Opopnax!

"I worked the living shit out of MBE questions because at least the MBE is out of California's control." This is such a telling sentiment
I kind of think so too. To me, the grading process for California's written will always be mysterious--and unfair. For example that whole grading in groups of 5 points thing. Theoretically, that means anywhere from 7-28 raw points that you can have taken from you/not get credit for. And how does that work out to scaled points? Hell if I know. But I know it could've been the difference between pass or fail in February.

So the MBE is at least something that's objectively graded.

I'm considering taking the bar in Oregon in February. Somebody call the paddy wagon and have the guys in the white suits throw a net over me.
Yeah, it's not very granular, but to be fair, it's the best they can do for a subjective task like essays. MEEs are graded on a 0-6 scale, for example, so that's even fewer steps than CA essays technically have (40-100 in 5-point steps and the possibility of 2.5 increments upon regrade).

I had someone tell me she was 4 pts away from passing in Feb, skipped July, and is now giving up. It was pretty sad for me to hear. So I get where you're coming from.
Oh. Do you have any good leads on info for the UBE? For the time being, I'm staying in California, but Oregon's always been such an attractive place. Also, I just assumed I'd failed this past exam, so I kept studying like a maniac starting two weeks after the exam. So I'm thinking that since I passed California, and actually know more now than I knew back in July, I should keep my momentum going and take the UBE.

Any help, knowledge, and/or direction would be great. Thanks!

a male human

Post by a male human » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:32 pm

I probably don't know all that much more. Here's a good place to start to learn all the basics: http://www.ncbex.org/exams/ube/

Essays are shorter (6 x 30 min). MPTs are similar to current CA PTs, but there are two. MBE is the same. Not sure about the cut score but you should be in pretty good shape if you passed CA.

Opoponax

Post by Opoponax » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am

Great. Thanks so much. :)

I was looking at that 30 minute essay thing. It would require a very different approach than California. And I don't know what "commercial paper" is. It sounds like a subject where I'd need one one of those adrenaline shots to shock me back into the land of the living like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction if I studied it for too long.

Hmm. But thanks again for the link.

TheGreatOrange

Post by TheGreatOrange » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Opoponax wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am
Great. Thanks so much. :)

I was looking at that 30 minute essay thing. It would require a very different approach than California. And I don't know what "commercial paper" is. It sounds like a subject where I'd need one one of those adrenaline shots to shock me back into the land of the living like Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction if I studied it for too long.

Hmm. But thanks again for the link.
I don't think the UBE even tests commercial paper anymore. They do conflict of laws and secured transactions though, and their family law section is different from what is tested on California CP (and they test more than just who gets the property after divorce or death, they can test things like spousal support and child support - which is similar, from skimming the MEE conviser, to the way CA works for those subjects, but of course is not tested in CA.)

a male human

Post by a male human » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:58 am
a male human wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 pm
Stirfry wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:24 pm
How are people studying for PR? Do you guys think doing mpre questions from Barbie is a good study method? And then just memorizing CA distinctions?
You probably want to do essays, not MPRE multiple-choice questions.
Why do I need To do essays? I went to hys, I know how to write essays
Hey, genuinely curious, did you pass, and if not, how did you do on the essays? I'm curious because there was a poster on TLS saying s/he was T14 and got no more than a 60 on his/her essays.