July 2018 California Bar Exam

User avatar
ipse dixit
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am

July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by ipse dixit » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:56 pm

I've started getting ready for the July 2018 California Bar Exam, and thought we should have a place on here to talk about our anxieties, strategies, materials, progress, and more...

I am trying to squeeze in some pre-graduation bar prep, but it's been really difficult to focus on it so far. Have you gotten started? What are you doing?

Below is a short list of resources that have been recommended to me. Do you know of any others? I'll try to improve this list of resources as I have time.

BAR EXAM RESOURCES
(listed alphabetically)
  • Adaptibar: Database of over 1,700 MBE questions in a web-based format. The program adapts to your strengths and weaknesses, and provides analysis of your performance in each subject. In addition, it offers over 1,000 MBE flashcards in electronic format.
  • Approsheets: Essay approach sheets, provide a flowchart and roadmap for spotting issues on the essays.
  • Barbri: Bar prep course
  • BarEssays.com: Comprehensive database of California bar exam essay questions and answers graded by the California Bar Examiners. It also has graded performance tests, but note that only the last two administrations are in the new 90-minute format.
  • BarMax MBE: Provides access to over 1,700 MBE questions, with explanations and analytics.
  • CriticalPass: Printed flashcards for the MBE subjects. Purchase includes access to the flashcards via the CriticalPass mobile application.
  • Kaplan: Bar prep course
  • Magicsheets: Condensed outlines for MBE and CA subjects.
  • One-Timers: Bar prep course. The website also has a bar exam calculator which can be used to help you assess whether you are on target to achieving a passing score
  • Themis: Bar prep course
Last edited by ipse dixit on Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:50 am

I highly recommend using Adaptibar.com for your MBE review. It helped me pass after failing numerous times.

Send me your email address if you would like a discount for that program.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:47 pm

checking in...

User avatar
ipse dixit
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:05 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by ipse dixit » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:50 am
I highly recommend using Adaptibar.com for your MBE review. It helped me pass after failing numerous times.

Send me your email address if you would like a discount for that program.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have signed up for AdaptiBar. I'm just curious if you had previously looked into BarMax MBE? It also offers the same MBE questions but for a little less money. Do you know what the difference between these two resources is?

I have edited the earlier post to include a list of resources.

FrogNToad
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by FrogNToad » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:58 pm

Checking in.

Does anyone know if we absolutely need to get the fingerprint card from the CA bar? The card seems to be a standard form provided by the FBI. Is there anything special about their version? I wouldn't mind getting it from the bar, except my mailman seems to have issues delivering letters to me (I've had several important pieces of mail go missing/bounce back to sender in the last few years).

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:14 pm

Thanks for starting the thread!

I'll be here to answer any questions as well (as long as the LSL email notifications decide to work).

thelawdude
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by thelawdude » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am

So I started Barbri this week. I'm really concerned that I won't be able to memorize BLL for the essay given their teach format. Does anyone else felt/felt this way?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm

thelawdude wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am
So I started Barbri this week. I'm really concerned that I won't be able to memorize BLL for the essay given their teach format. Does anyone else felt/felt this way?
What about their teaching format worries you?

In essence, you not only want to memorize, you also want to understand and be able to recall them in the proper context. Memorizing a rule doesn't mean you can recite it when the facts call for assault. It just means you can say what the rule is for assault. The common trap is to "review the law" instead of reviewing how the law applies to the facts (past exam answers, model answers, sample answers posted on the bar website).

Barbri does have excellent raw materials, such as the CMR and essay workbooks.

thelawdude
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by thelawdude » Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 pm

a male human wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm
thelawdude wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am
So I started Barbri this week. I'm really concerned that I won't be able to memorize BLL for the essay given their teach format. Does anyone else felt/felt this way?
What about their teaching format worries you?

In essence, you not only want to memorize, you also want to understand and be able to recall them in the proper context. Memorizing a rule doesn't mean you can recite it when the facts call for assault. It just means you can say what the rule is for assault. The common trap is to "review the law" instead of reviewing how the law applies to the facts (past exam answers, model answers, sample answers posted on the bar website).

Barbri does have excellent raw materials, such as the CMR and essay workbooks.
I guess the part of the teaching format that worries me is that it doesn't have a specific time allotted for memorizing the recitation of the rules.

All of the assignments so far have been going over the lecture notes and skimming the CMR then answering multiple choice questions that test BLL and MBE skills. I think this is all great for the MBE. However, I don't think this translates into helping me recite the rules when it comes essay time.

For reference, I used Barbri for the MPRE and I studied by going over their CMR and watching their lecture. This was enough for me to score a 110+, which comfortably placed me above CA's 86 point threshold. So I have no worries about their method with multiple choice exams. However, when I study for and take multiple choice exams, I usually look at the answer choices and I recall whether something fits into an element of a law or not. (Of course, this is a different skill than being able to recite the rule onto a blank sheet of paper.) If I had to take a PR essay exam the same day as the MPRE, I don't think I would have been able to recite the rules for the R portion of IRAC, even though I knew the rules well enough to pass the multiple choice.

For essays, I've never had much difficulty with spotting issues. I also don't find analysis too difficult once I see the rule. However, in law school, I never memorized the rules. I would just spot the issue and look at my outline and copy and paste the rule statement (by typing, not literally). I've only taken one closed book exam during law school, and I memorized the BLL cold for that class, but I spent the entire semester memorizing (using just rote memorization techniques, i.e., writing the rules over and over).

Briefly looking at Barbri's schedule, they seem to have you watch lectures for half they day and do practice questions for the other half. And, they only seem to have you do one practice essay a week.

Where's the time for the rote memorization when doing practice MBE questions takes up the lion's share of an 8-10 hour day?

Sorry that this response became so long winded. But I wanted to be thorough.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm

thelawdude wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 pm
a male human wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:28 pm
thelawdude wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am
So I started Barbri this week. I'm really concerned that I won't be able to memorize BLL for the essay given their teach format. Does anyone else felt/felt this way?
What about their teaching format worries you?

In essence, you not only want to memorize, you also want to understand and be able to recall them in the proper context. Memorizing a rule doesn't mean you can recite it when the facts call for assault. It just means you can say what the rule is for assault. The common trap is to "review the law" instead of reviewing how the law applies to the facts (past exam answers, model answers, sample answers posted on the bar website).

Barbri does have excellent raw materials, such as the CMR and essay workbooks.
I guess the part of the teaching format that worries me is that it doesn't have a specific time allotted for memorizing the recitation of the rules.

All of the assignments so far have been going over the lecture notes and skimming the CMR then answering multiple choice questions that test BLL and MBE skills. I think this is all great for the MBE. However, I don't think this translates into helping me recite the rules when it comes essay time.

For reference, I used Barbri for the MPRE and I studied by going over their CMR and watching their lecture. This was enough for me to score a 110+, which comfortably placed me above CA's 86 point threshold. So I have no worries about their method with multiple choice exams. However, when I study for and take multiple choice exams, I usually look at the answer choices and I recall whether something fits into an element of a law or not. (Of course, this is a different skill than being able to recite the rule onto a blank sheet of paper.) If I had to take a PR essay exam the same day as the MPRE, I don't think I would have been able to recite the rules for the R portion of IRAC, even though I knew the rules well enough to pass the multiple choice.

For essays, I've never had much difficulty with spotting issues. I also don't find analysis too difficult once I see the rule. However, in law school, I never memorized the rules. I would just spot the issue and look at my outline and copy and paste the rule statement (by typing, not literally). I've only taken one closed book exam during law school, and I memorized the BLL cold for that class, but I spent the entire semester memorizing (using just rote memorization techniques, i.e., writing the rules over and over).

Briefly looking at Barbri's schedule, they seem to have you watch lectures for half they day and do practice questions for the other half. And, they only seem to have you do one practice essay a week.

Where's the time for the rote memorization when doing practice MBE questions takes up the lion's share of an 8-10 hour day?

Sorry that this response became so long winded. But I wanted to be thorough.
And that's the "best" feature of Barbri. They freaking tell you to NEVER memorize ANYTHING until the last two weeks before the exam. I tried that approach and, inevitably, I scored around 20% on average in their quizzes. Needless to say that when I realized that their approach didn't work with me, it was too late and I failed my first attempt. According to them, you are supposed to remember most of what they reach you as long as you are careful during their 4 hour lectures. Barbri got so big that now the decision makers aren't lawyers who passed the bar, they are probably marketing graduates/MBAs. I found their course useful only to understand some law in the slowest and most inefficient way possible.

thelawdude
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by thelawdude » Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm




And that's the "best" feature of Barbri. They freaking tell you to NEVER memorize ANYTHING until the last two weeks before the exam. I tried that approach and, inevitably, I scored around 20% on average in their quizzes. Needless to say that when I realized that their approach didn't work with me, it was too late and I failed my first attempt. According to them, you are supposed to remember most of what they reach you as long as you are careful during their 4 hour lectures. Barbri got so big that now the decision makers aren't lawyers who passed the bar, they are probably marketing graduates/MBAs. I found their course useful only to understand some law in the slowest and most inefficient way possible.
Here's a specific question. Having followed exactly what Barbri told you, and only memorizing in the last two weeks. Were you unable to recall the BLL for the essay portion of the CA Bar?

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Sat May 19, 2018 12:35 am

thelawdude wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 pm




And that's the "best" feature of Barbri. They freaking tell you to NEVER memorize ANYTHING until the last two weeks before the exam. I tried that approach and, inevitably, I scored around 20% on average in their quizzes. Needless to say that when I realized that their approach didn't work with me, it was too late and I failed my first attempt. According to them, you are supposed to remember most of what they reach you as long as you are careful during their 4 hour lectures. Barbri got so big that now the decision makers aren't lawyers who passed the bar, they are probably marketing graduates/MBAs. I found their course useful only to understand some law in the slowest and most inefficient way possible.
Here's a specific question. Having followed exactly what Barbri told you, and only memorizing in the last two weeks. Were you unable to recall the BLL for the essay portion of the CA Bar?
Totally unable to recall anything. I even got a 45 on one essay.

thelawdude
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by thelawdude » Sat May 19, 2018 2:37 am

KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:35 am

Totally unable to recall anything. I even got a 45 on one essay.
Wow. Sorry about that.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sat May 19, 2018 2:40 am

It's practically impossible to retain everything in their lectures day after day. In fact, you'll forget 99% of what you watched, if you haven't fallen asleep during. But it's tempting to waste the best part of your day sitting on your ass for 4 hours because what if you miss something, everyone else is doing it, you paid $$$$ for it...

I mean, it works for people if they cram really hard in the last two weeks, or if they memorized and practiced their essay writing early on (i.e., not follow the bar course's specific schedule to fill in the completion meter).

Ultimately, you gotta do what helps you learn. You say you don't have time to memorize or do more than one practice essay? Make time.

If you find yourself just "billing hours" (filling in notes, reading outlines, staring at your lecturer, etc.) but not doing now what you're going to do on the bar (solving questions), see if you can spend your time better. Obviously at first, there needs to be some background learning, but there are better ways than listening to lectures. Outlines, for example, are more organized and easier to absorb or memorize than lectures. Actually trying to use them in essays and whatnot, then looking at the model answer to see how the rules are used can also be helpful (Barbri's model answers are excellent, but no need to emulate them).

You're not here to impress anyone right now, so feel free to fail.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.
Wait for your scores first before deciding on new MBE study material. It could be that your MBE was decent/high enough and that your essays pulled you down. If it's any consolation, I had to take Adaptibar twice before passing.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Sun May 20, 2018 1:47 pm

KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.
Emanuel and AdaptiBar are pretty much the best places to learn the MBE. You can also use Barbri, Kaplan, etc. to introduce some variety and style of questions (but limit to a small percentage). I have a useless list of other sources of MBE questions you can consider here.

Opoponax
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Opoponax » Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm

It's difficult to know what to study. I start doing MBE's again today out of the Barbri book. I really felt like it worked for me, but I don't know for sure.

Essay writing though. Fucking kill me. I know I bombed the essays. My memory just cannot accommodate all that information. I need something simpler that can get me to 60-65's on each one. Same with the PTs. I destroyed them in practice, but on game day I think it went to shit.

I'm looking at bar essays.com and it looks better than the rules barbri has. But hell, no one here will know how they did until scores come out... unless you're a first time taker of course.

Anyway, I'm hoping I got into re-read. I need a pro to evaluate my stuff because obviously I'm not very good at doing it----and got feedback on one essay from Barbri (out of five submitted; I quite submitting them after awhile).

justanotheruser
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by justanotheruser » Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 am

I took and failed this exam 5 times. The Feb 2018 exam was my 6th attempt and I somehow passed. On the one hand, I feel so happy and relieved. It feels like the nightmare is finally over... like a ton of weight has been taken off my shoulders. On the other hand, I know what it feels like to fall short time and time again.

When I failed for the 5th time (last July), I got the closest I've ever been to passing (scoring 1410) -- thanks in large part to MBE now being worth 50%. While my circumstances might not be the exact same as many of yours' here, I thought it would be worth sharing how I studied/prepared this time and finally passed the bar.

1. OVERALL/BACKGROUND

I almost passed the July 2017 exam mainly on the strength of MBEs (scored just under 150.0). What really hurt me was getting a 55 on one essay and getting a devastating 50 on the PT when I ran out of time + barely wrote 2-3 paragraphs.

I'd say the two biggest changes I made up front were (1) setting aside a full 10 weeks to study (as opposed to 7-8 weeks) and (2) making a detailed day-by-day study calendar. I almost always studied at a library. Overall, a typical day of studying would run 9 to 6... but it's not like I was studying the entire time (e.g. break time, lunch, etc.) With all that said, I was in a fortunate position to be able to study full-time for all 10 weeks. I understand that it's not a circumstance that's available for every one. And another thing, I spent practically zero time on watching lectures or reading notes. I think I referred to old outlines I had only when adaptibar's answer explanation wasn't cutting it for me.

Another commitment I made up front was to make sure I prepared for everything. The temptation to double up on my strength (MBE) was alluring, but given that I was failing over and over again I clearly had to try something different. So I told myself I would put in the time to become well-rounded in preparing for the essays and PT.

Based on my study calendar, I did 30 MBE questions and two essay subjects a day. Every 2 weeks (I picked Wednesday), I would swap out the essays for a full practice PT. As I got closer to the exam date, I did a practice PT basically every week. I think in Week 5 or 6 of studying, I did a full practice bar exam, with Tuesday as the written day and Wednesday as the MBE day. Needless to say, it was all under test conditions.

2. MBE (Materials used: Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics + Adaptibar)

As mentioned earlier, I did 30 MBEs a day, and that's how I would begin each study day. In total, I did about 1900-2000 questions in total (including repeat questions).

I first used Emanuel's Strategies & Tactics to develop a foundation (in terms of forming a strategic approach to MBEs), and then I used Adaptibar exclusively. As I go through the set of 30 Qs, I'm marking down questions I'm "uncertain" about. Once I finish, I go through not only the wrong questions, but the ones I marked "uncertain" as well. When you're reviewing questions, don't just look at the correct answer... but try to figure out why your wrong answer choice was wrong. In the short run it felt like a burden, but it really benefited me in the long run to do that.

As I review answer explanations, I compiled them on a google doc. Before each 30 question set, I would review the google doc and trim/delete or edit the answer explanations (in my own words) as necessary. Make sure to clean up the doc often because if your experience is anything like mine, the doc can get very lengthy (20+ pages).

Last few thoughts on MBE practice? Don't worry about seeing repeat questions on Adaptibar. Try your best to empty your mind of what you thought the answer might have been, and focus on applying the method/approach you've been rolling with.

3. ESSAYS (BarEssays.com)

If I'm honest, I think I tried too hard to find the path of least resistance here. For past bar exams, I would look up BarSecret's predictions and do 3-5 practice outlines per predicted topic. I figured that if I did decently on 2-3 essays, I could pass the bar based on my MBE performance. I also, admittedly, had a mental block when it came to practicing essays. It felt both like crazy boring work I wanted to avoid as well as overwhelming given the amount of stuff I'd be forced to memorize. In hindsight, I think my fears were largely proven wrong.

An overview of how I practiced essays: During the first 2-3 weeks of studying, I would only do ONE essay per subject (so two total essays that day). In these initial weeks, I would fully write out these essays WITH an open book + a 2-hour time limit. In short, I tried writing as good an essay as I could. It helped me get familiar with the essay topics and start slowly building a foundation. I won't lie, this part was pretty grueling (but it got easier afterwards). After that, for most of the 10-weeks I spent studying (between weeks 3 through 8 roughly), I outlined essays (and increased from 1 essay to 2-4 essays per subject). In the last two weeks before the exam, I just issue spotted going through 8-10 essays (covering 2-3 essay subjects) a day.

In all this, BarEssays was a fantastic resource. After I'd be done writing/outlining/issue-spotting an essay, I would compare what I had written with what had been written (or not) on papers scoring 60, 65, and 70+. If there was a rule or strategy I'd frequently forget, I'd make a note of it on a google doc. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I did not have to rote memorize anything. Some people advocate memorizing the 13 most frequent rule statements per each subject. Do what works for you best.

Once I had a few weeks under my belt, I began to notice how certain details or fact patterns that would implicate various/specific issues. You start seeing how there's only a finite number of issues they test for each subject. In time, I began to slowly articulate the rule statement in my own words... even if they didn't exactly match the "standard" phrasing on BarEssays. A few more weeks later, my momentum would continue to build as I saw how I was spotting most of the issues covered on passing essays. It also helped when I saw how many of these high-scoring essays were filled with typos/errors/etc -- they were far from perfect.

4. PT (http://www.ncbex.org/exams/mpt/preparing)

As long as I've tried passing the bar, the PT was basically the neglected stepchild... even though it counts twice as much as an essay. I think my mindset really changed when I realized I could have passed the July 2017 exam if I had time to finish the PT (and score 60+) instead of running out of time and only scoring a 50 like I actually did.

In terms of approach, I did about 7-8 full practice PTs. My focus each and every time was getting my timing down. Your approach may be different, but my goal was to finish reading+outlining in 30 minutes so I could have an hour-ish to write. During practices, I would mark down how long it took me to finish outlining and start writing. I think my first PT or two, it took me nearly an hour to read/outline everything. But I got better and better. I did all this with the strategy of doing the PT first and then the two essays in the afternoon session.

On the actual bar exam, I spent just under 1 hr 40 minutes on the PT before moving on to the two essays in the afternoon session. Obviously I could have been a bit quicker, but this was far better than when I had only 25 minutes (in total) to start and finish the PT in July 2017.

5. FINAL THOUGHTS

I think planning out a 10-week study schedule, making a detailed day-by-day calendar, and ensuring I'd do xxxx number of MBEs, essays, and PTs come the real thing was HUGE. Gave me not only structure, but assurance that no day was going to waste. I would just add that I designated 4-5 days as "free" days. I ended up using them for extra review, a day off to go to a friend's wedding, and another day off to go see Japanese Breakfast live.

If my experience is any indication remaining positive is huge -- in both the small things (not letting a tough MBE question hang you up for the next 10 minutes) and big things (believing you can overcome the bar after multiple tries). It's also being honest with yourself with the adjustments you need to make in your studies. For me, it was admitting I shouldn't overly rely on my MBE performance for the bar and putting in the requisite work for essays/PT.

This is already a long enough post as it is, but feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

FrogNToad
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by FrogNToad » Mon May 21, 2018 2:00 pm

Does Themis use actual MBE questions or do they use their own questions? Some of these seem kind of poorly written.

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.
Wait for your scores first before deciding on new MBE study material. It could be that your MBE was decent/high enough and that your essays pulled you down. If it's any consolation, I had to take Adaptibar twice before passing.
Finally got my scores back:

Written: 1440 (+150 pts since last time - satisfied)
MBE: 1337 (+5 pts since last time and an additional 2,000 Adaptibar questions averaging 70%. WTF)
Total: 1388, not even re-read (probably a good thing not to ruin that magical written 1440)

I thought my MBE would be a lot better. However, according to Joe Seperac, I probably scored 12 extra raw questions (still a nice improvement).

My question is: how the hell did people score 1500, 1600 on this past MBE? I had no idea about so many rules that were tested.

For now, my outlines are a combination of Critical Pass, Barbri's handouts, and SmartBarPrep outlines. I'm honestly lost about how the MBE works so I'll just hope that scoring even higher on Adaptibar (and adding Emanuel S&T) will help.

FinallyPassedTheBar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by FinallyPassedTheBar » Tue May 22, 2018 2:37 am

KernKraft wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.
Wait for your scores first before deciding on new MBE study material. It could be that your MBE was decent/high enough and that your essays pulled you down. If it's any consolation, I had to take Adaptibar twice before passing.
Finally got my scores back:

Written: 1440 (+150 pts since last time - satisfied)
MBE: 1337 (+5 pts since last time and an additional 2,000 Adaptibar questions averaging 70%. WTF)
Total: 1388, not even re-read (probably a good thing not to ruin that magical written 1440)

I thought my MBE would be a lot better. However, according to Joe Seperac, I probably scored 12 extra raw questions (still a nice improvement).

My question is: how the hell did people score 1500, 1600 on this past MBE? I had no idea about so many rules that were tested.

For now, my outlines are a combination of Critical Pass, Barbri's handouts, and SmartBarPrep outlines. I'm honestly lost about how the MBE works so I'll just hope that scoring even higher on Adaptibar (and adding Emanuel S&T) will help.

I am impressed with your essay score, especially given the anecdotes of hard essay graders for Feb 2018.

As for the MBE, from what I have read from people who took both July 2017 MBE and Feb 2018 MBE, they felt Feb 2018 was significantly harder with more questions covering obscure areas of law (for example, questions dealing with brokerage) . Did you feel that way? Did you run out of time on the latest MBE?

Stirfry
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by Stirfry » Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 am

Can someone explain how the grading works compared to the UBE? How many questions do you need right to get a 1440 on the mbe?

User avatar
KernKraft
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:54 pm

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by KernKraft » Tue May 22, 2018 9:44 am

FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:37 am
KernKraft wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am
FinallyPassedTheBar wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:13 pm
KernKraft wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Well, results are out and here I am.

Still waiting for the scores in the mail but I assume I didn't score a 150+ on the MBE so here's my question: what is a good source to study for the MBE? I feel like they are introducing a lot of new tested topics (eg: real property fair housing, brokerage, etc.) and I don't know where to look for those new rules.

In the meanwhile I'll hammer Adaptibar and Emanuel but I feel like I need additional studying sources because of a lot of WTF moments on the MBE.
Wait for your scores first before deciding on new MBE study material. It could be that your MBE was decent/high enough and that your essays pulled you down. If it's any consolation, I had to take Adaptibar twice before passing.
Finally got my scores back:

Written: 1440 (+150 pts since last time - satisfied)
MBE: 1337 (+5 pts since last time and an additional 2,000 Adaptibar questions averaging 70%. WTF)
Total: 1388, not even re-read (probably a good thing not to ruin that magical written 1440)

I thought my MBE would be a lot better. However, according to Joe Seperac, I probably scored 12 extra raw questions (still a nice improvement).

My question is: how the hell did people score 1500, 1600 on this past MBE? I had no idea about so many rules that were tested.

For now, my outlines are a combination of Critical Pass, Barbri's handouts, and SmartBarPrep outlines. I'm honestly lost about how the MBE works so I'll just hope that scoring even higher on Adaptibar (and adding Emanuel S&T) will help.

I am impressed with your essay score, especially given the anecdotes of hard essay graders for Feb 2018.

As for the MBE, from what I have read from people who took both July 2017 MBE and Feb 2018 MBE, they felt Feb 2018 was significantly harder with more questions covering obscure areas of law (for example, questions dealing with brokerage) . Did you feel that way? Did you run out of time on the latest MBE?
Thank you! What saved me was one 70 and a 65 on the PT. The others were pretty average (55-60-60-60). Really happy about the result considering that I am a foreign taker and English is not even my first language. Hopefully I’ll replicate or even improve it next time.

Regarding the MBE, yes, it definitely tested weird stuff that I hadn’t seen before. Brokerage included. However, I didn’t run out of time. I finished both sessions with 5-10 minutes to spare. The problem is just that I had to guess a lot of those weird questions. According to Seperac, 4 more MBEs and I would have passed. Sigh.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:13 pm
Contact:

Re: July 2018 California Bar Exam

Post by a male human » Tue May 22, 2018 1:11 pm

Stirfry wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:33 am
Can someone explain how the grading works compared to the UBE? How many questions do you need right to get a 1440 on the mbe?
It differs from exam to exam and is determined by the NCBE. To get the CA equivalent, take the scaled MBE score (the conversation table which they don't publish anymore but I'll see if I can find an old copy at home) and multiply by 10. If you get 144 scaled, then you're on track to passing (i.e., assuming you do well enough to get to 1440 on written, about 62.5 raw points on average). This is around 125-135 questions correct historically.

You can read more about grading on the CA bar website.

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... a-Bar-Exam
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Exa ... on/Scaling

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest