Which bar exam should I take?

waldorf

Which bar exam should I take?

Post by waldorf » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 pm

I graduate in May 2020 and will be working at a firm in Texas. I just found out that while Texas is not offering the UBE until February of 2021, they will begin to accept UBE scores in December 2019. As such, I could take the bar in July 2020 in a UBE state and transfer my score to Texas. I can submit my transfer application before I get my score, so I shouldn't have any C&F delays, etc. (i.e., I don't have to wait for them to start the C&F investigation until after I get my UBE score back).

What would y'all do in this situation? It seems like the pros of taking the UBE are that I have to learn less material for the bar (I won't have to learn all the Texas-specific subjects that I have no familiarity with), which will probably make studying slightly less stressful, and I will have a UBE score that I can transfer to another state if I ever move. Do these pros outweigh the cons of having to deal with transferring my score and taking the bar exam in another state?

ymmv
pregnant with a better version of myself

Re: Which bar exam should I take?

Post by ymmv » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:44 pm

Depends on how likely you are to change states, but I would definitely take the UBE if it were me. Not a huge list of cons for keeping options open. And IIRC the UBE scoring is more multiple-choice centric than Texas, which I find much easier and more predictable to study for than state essays.

haus

Re: Which bar exam should I take?

Post by haus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:59 am

I am working in Virginia (not in the legal field) for a company with offices in VA, NY, IL, TX, CA.

I am contemplating taking the bar in DC, in order to gain a UBE score that would have some potential portability as I decide what is next for me and my family. As an added bonus, DC does not appear to require annual CLEs as VA does.

It is possible that my current employer might be interested in me pivoting over to join the in house legal group. Taking the bar in VA could make this a bit cleaner if they were to ask me to stay local, but it appears that I could use the VA corporate counsel option if this option were to be offered to me.

Is there something obvious that I would be missing out on by not sitting for the bar in VA?